Gibson Brands Forums

Schaller Strap Locks for '61 SG Reissue

CoreyT

I have read in a few threads on the Gibson forums that the stock Gibson screws are to large to go into the Schaller base that sits against the guitar, and this is half right on my 2012 '61 SG Reissue.

I got the nickle ones, and it looks like they are sold out from Amazon now, and I got them in two days since I am Prime member there.

They only have the black, gold, and silver ones now in stock, but it is not from a seller that offers them for Prime shipping like I got.

http://www.amazon.com/Schaller-445-Strap-Locks-Nickel/dp/B000960KNW/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1336178928&sr=8-1

Anyways, I started with the read of the guitar first by the neck and to my surprise the stock Gibson screw worked when putting the Schaller pin on to replace the Gibson one.

But when I went to do the bottom of the SG, the Gibson screw is way bigger than the first screw.

I did not feel like drilling out the Schaller pin to accommodate the bigger Gibson screw, so I tried the short black Schaller screw, and it is a tad narrower, but it bit in good and it is nice and tight, and no slippage, so I do not think I am going to have to slip anything into the hole (the toothpick and wood glue trick) to shore it up for the skinnier screw.

Here are a few pictures:

Base of the SG with the skinnier black Schaller screw and Schaller pin in place

1.jpg

The locking end that hooks to my strap fitted securely to the Schaller pin

2.jpg

Sorry, used Macro mode for closeup, but picture turned out crappy.

The stock Gibson screw in that position fits perfectly into the Schaller pin, no need to use the Schaller black screw

Maybe they are the same size since the Gibson screw fits the Schaller perfectly.

3.jpg

Another Schaller Strap Lock showed up today from Amazon in black, but I am only going to be using the parts that fit onto the strap, and they are going on a second strap I have coming this Monday from Levy Leathers.

After reading the Amazon reviews and posts on this site, I decided to go with the Schaller ones over the Dunlop ones.

Toothpicks and wood glue to fill the gaps. Especially if you play live. I would not trust an "almost fit".

That Or a little patience and a small hand file to re-size the head on the stock screw.

Beautiful SG (hope I ever get mine back from the luthier's being setup & fret polished). On the toothpick thing. I agree, just make sure when you use toothpicks you find and use HARDWOOD toothpicks. IMHO they make the best hole plugs as they offer more strength & glue better than Elmers white. Like Tightbond or a really premium wood glue.

Love the strap locks!!! [thumbup]

Aster

Archived