Gibson Brands Forums

For fans of GigaStudio

Valeriy

Who have dealt with this software they usually never talked anything bad about it. This is a good soft from Tascam. Some studio engineers and musicians consider that it surpasses any modern similar software in quality, and its driver GSIF surpasses ASIO. Indeed, there is no need to configure the delay how in Cubase or in other, everything is set optimally and, in fact, automatically, and sound after mixing and mixdown in GigaStudio differs surprising purity and the transparency. But as it is considered that the GigaStudio is not supported for Windows 7. And people with regret parted with this software when switched to windows 7.

But it turned out that it can operate in Windows 7 [thumbup] . To do this, you must manually copy some files and a folder from the current GigaStudio in Windows XP (from Program Files/Tascam/Gstudio) in a similar address of installed GigaStudio in Windows 7.

Namely, these are the folder db and files: GSDLL.ckn, ctstatus.fcs and gigadiags.txt.

I do not know what role of these three files, but without the db folder GigaStudio just will not work in Windows 7.

These files and the folder must be copied immediately after installing GigaStudio in Windows 7. And I did it before rebooting the computer (as it is required after installation).

The truth, I managed to do it so far only for Windows 7 Lite (WINDOWS 7 Ultimate SP1 Lite, 7601 v.721, x86). But the Windows Lite is good for sound. And my GigaStudio is of version 3.

As regards complete Windows 7, it is possible, my computer is too small in power for Windows 7 and GigaStudio (it is a Pentium 4, processor 1.8 GHz and 2 GB RAM). And here I could not fully test this technology of GigaStudio installing. In this case also everything was good, stable, - installation, registration etc But GigaStudio does not start to work on my computer with full Windows 7.

However, in the Lite I installed the GigaStudio several times on different Local Disks and everything was fine [biggrin] , i.e. repeatability for the Lite is a 100% - as in GigaStudio's work as in the installation.

So, if anyone interested I can give a list of remote modules in my Windows 7 to work with GigaStudio.

I so was delighted that GigaStudio started to work that I forgot two nuances, some flaws, I not noticed them at once. But I think that they are trifles and they won't disturb in work.

First nuance, the sound in GigaStudio is only at the first start, i.e. during the first session.

If you close the GigaStudio and reopen it will not sound a second time (GigaStudio’s CPU indicator will show 0%, it usually show 7-8% with sound). It will be necessary to reboot your computer that the Giga become again with sound.

Also, the sound may disappear if you press the button “reset” (unloading instruments).

And at first I was upset, but then I remembered there are other ways to load and unload samples. For example, this can be done in the loader window by using the right mouse button, and on one or at once some samples. Or, if you want to go to another thing and you have a prepared bank of instruments for this thing you can do the replacement of the bank via the “Open file” button (i.e. opening another bank). Thus the button “reset” is not involved and the sound doesn't disappear.

Thus, we can quite work on several things in one session. [thumbup]

The reasons for this nuance…, I still can only assume, maybe, because for Windows 7 I use the driver KX of beta version for my audio card (KX 3550, 3549 etc). I like this driver, it is a good and stable and GSIF format with support for GigaStudio. It is as free on website http://www.kxproject.com/ . There is a KX 3546 of alpha version, but it is apparently no free.

The second nuance, during updating the database when Gigastudio’s scanner scans all Local Disks and when it comes to the folder installed Windows 7 (viz the folder System 32) that during this moment there is a failure and the computer reboots. Nothing bad happens, everything is working well again. At this moment, obviously GigaStudio is not compatible with Windows 7.

But this is easily solved. it is necessary to exclude scanning this folder Windows 7 in settings (Quick Sound Data Based).

And also, if you have some db folders (from working GigaStudios in Windows XP) with the different sizes that better to take and copy that which is smaller.

Archived