Gibson Guitar Board: Where do I ground my turntable? - Gibson Guitar Board

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Where do I ground my turntable? Stanton Str8 150

#1 User is offline   DJEddyV123 

• Group: Members

Posted 07 May 2012 - 12:29 PM

Hey forum I just purchased two stanton str8 150, It says it has internal grounding but I keep hearing this static noise through my speakers. My tables don't have a ground post so where would I attach a ground wire?

#2 User is offline   Professorbx 

• Advanced Member
  • Group: Stanton Ambassadors
  • LocationLos Angeles

Posted 07 May 2012 - 12:51 PM

DJEddyV123, on 07 May 2012 - 12:29 PM, said:

Hey forum I just purchased two stanton str8 150, It says it has internal grounding but I keep hearing this static noise through my speakers. My tables don't have a ground post so where would I attach a ground wire?

It is actually internally grounded-if you hear static, flip the ground lift switch on the back (the one next to the line/phono switch).
-Former- Stanton Product Manager
"Mixer Mechanic"
Resident Geek

#3 User is offline   stein 

• Advanced Member

Posted 07 May 2012 - 12:53 PM

DJEddyV123, on 07 May 2012 - 12:29 PM, said:

I am not familiar with that model at all, but I know a few things about turntables.

"Static", or a hissing sound, is not from lack of grounding. Grounding only stops hum or buzz.

It is likely your 'table, or your records, needs to be demagnetized. It's very common. Do you know how to do it? Do you have the stuff to do it? (DON'T demagnetize the cartridge...it will ruin it).

Another possibility that is less likely would be RF noise. You can get this by having the pre-amp, or the cartridge amp too close to a source of RF noise, like a CD player or a tuner.

#4 User is offline   DJEddyV123 

Posted 11 May 2012 - 02:44 PM

@Professorbx I did that but nothing changes still alot of staic.

I am very new to tunrtables and have no idea how to demagnetize anything.

I'm using traktor scratch pro 2 on timecode and a DJM 900.

#5 User is offline   stein 

• Advanced Member

Posted 11 May 2012 - 03:22 PM

DJEddyV123, on 11 May 2012 - 02:44 PM, said:

@Professorbx I did that but nothing changes still alot of staic.

I am very new to tunrtables and have no idea how to demagnetize anything.

I'm using traktor scratch pro 2 on timecode and a DJM 900.

I did a little reading about that 'table, and it appears there is more than just a turntable...it looks like it has the pre-amp and a digital converter as well?...anyway..

The products I used to use were a Zerostat gun, and a record from Cardas that had a demagnetizing track on it. I don't think neither are commercially available right now.

I would definitely suggest going to where you bought the turntable and asking them what they might have. Sinse this is a table more intended for 'pro' use rather than home use, they sort of need to have products or the ability to support you to insure it is suitable for use.

#6 User is offline   DJEddyV123 

Posted 11 May 2012 - 04:16 PM

What a struggle just to play some music! Problem is I purchased these on Ebay brand new at that.

So if grounding is only good for hum or buzz and what I'm hearing is crackling, what exactly do I have to do to stop this?

#7 User is offline   Professorbx 

• Advanced Member
  • LocationLos Angeles

Posted 11 May 2012 - 04:24 PM

DJEddyV123, on 11 May 2012 - 04:16 PM, said:

What a struggle just to play some music! Problem is I purchased these on Ebay brand new at that.

So if grounding is only good for hum or buzz and what I'm hearing is crackling, what exactly do I have to do to stop this?

Ok, is it if you turn it to both "phono" and "line"? Also, with timecode crackling has nothing to do with the turntable but with the latency settings you use.
"Mixer Mechanic"
Resident Geek

#8 User is offline   DJEddyV123 

Posted 11 May 2012 - 06:02 PM

I am only using phono as I don't have a digital cable for line, I will experiment with the latency settings but It doesn't sound like a lattency problem as there are no audio drop outs, It's starts crackling and gets to the point to where the music isn't even bearable.

#9 User is offline   Boogie 

Posted 11 May 2012 - 06:59 PM

I've had this same problem before with Traktor.

I don't know what kind of computer you're using, but if it's a windows machine you can try this:

Go to: control panel > hardware and sound > under sound click "manage audio devices" double click on SPDIF and it will bring up the property window.
in that window there should be some tabs like this: (general)(supported formats)(levels)(enhancements)(advanced)

click on advanced and it should say:

Default format

Select the sample rate and bit depth to be used when running shared mode.

Click on the drop box and make sure 2 channel,16 bit,44100 hz (cd quality) is selected.

I've found that on newer windows machines it will usually be set to 2 channel,16 bit,48000 hz (DVD quality) and you will get all those crackling sounds.

Anyway, I don't know if this will help you or not, but I guess it's worth a shot.

#10 User is offline   Jungle 

• Customer Service

Posted 08 June 2012 - 07:08 AM

Sounds more like you need to increase your latency buffer in Traktor, Are you able to produce the same static when playing a regal record? if not try my first suggestion and if that does not work out you may want to contact N.I and ask them the best settings for your computer.

DJEddyV123, on 11 May 2012 - 06:02 PM, said:

I am only using phono as I don't have a digital cable for line, I will experiment with the latency settings but It doesn't sound like a lattency problem as there are no audio drop outs, It's starts crackling and gets to the point to where the music isn't even bearable.

#11 User is offline   Stevie E 

Posted 24 October 2012 - 04:56 PM

check your needles

#12 User is offline   Professorbx 

• Advanced Member
  • LocationLos Angeles

Posted 06 November 2012 - 03:26 PM

Stevie E, on 24 October 2012 - 04:56 PM, said:

check your needles

Try flipping between "Line" and "Phono". The Phono setting bypasses the A/D converter, and can help. Other times though you have some strange power issues that the Phono setting picks up, and switching to Line can help.
"Mixer Mechanic"
Resident Geek

#13 User is offline   durgaprasadzone 

• LocationIndia

Posted 08 April 2016 - 01:18 AM

Thanks for sharing info. ....
SEO USA
SEO Freelancer
Cataract Surgery Los Angeles
Lasik Beverly Hills