Gibson Brands Forums

'60s Gibson Doves and modern Epi Doves...

Jinder

it intrigued me to read KSDaddy's comments that his '60s Dove had laminated back and sides. So, apart from the obvious (tune-o bridge, MOP inlays, nitro lacquer, headstock shape), what are the differences between the Gibby Dove of the mid '60s and the Epiphone Dove of today?

I have played and enjoyed the Epi Doves in the past, and they are so next-to-nothing cheap I would consider one as a fun beater and a guitar that I could fettle and fine-tune my basic luthiery skills with (install bone nut and saddle in it, refret as required, set up etc).

I would love to know everyone's thoughts on it.

Hey - I can't tell you a lot about the Epiphone because I haven't played one, but I have handled a good number of 60s Doves and it is hard for me to imagine the Epi coming close in smoothness of tone. The older Doves really have a refined sound - not for everyone, but nice still the same.

Where it comes to having a guitar you can practice surgical skills on, I would recommend the following attributes:

no fingerboard binding

limited body binding

limited fretboard inlays

14 fret neck joint

one piece neck

regular tuners versus slotted headstock

Regular bridge with standard saddle so you can work on the saddle from the bottom up

Solid woods rather than laminates

Standard pick guard

bridge plate

I can't imagine anything from the Far East sounding remotely like my Dove. That would be like comparing a store-bought glazed doughnut to hand made baklava.

I'm going to miss it but if I can't be comfortable playing it then it's no good.

Conversely a primo player that sounds flaccid is just as useless. I have a Gretsch that may go away. I'm getting too old to amass things "to say I own them". If they don't have a purpose then they should go away.

Archived