Gibson Brands Forums

refinishing and binding

harmonicchaos

i have a les paul vintage mahogany and it den'ts very easily. i love binding and stewmac has binding and tools to diy. have any of you tried to do this? i would really love to try to do this to it sometime. i also would like to refinish it. either a sunburst (tobacco), pelham blue (reranch has one very similar), or just put on some clear nitro to help with dents and give it a low gloss. i like the idea of it being personalized and i would love binding and i think i'd like a new finish or at least something to help with dents.

resale value isn't that important.

input, suggestions and ideas are welcome!!!

Wow, I think it may be harder than you think. Well as far as putting the binding.

You'd probably need a router (not a netgear or linksys) sorry bad joke. A wood working

router.

I have no idea how to setup a guide or a fence to prevent you from over routing.

The best thing I can think of if you're truly serious. Buy a Les Paul copy, something cheap

and inexpensive. Make sure it doesn't have binding, and pratice. Even if you mess up the

routing you can practice putting on the clear coat and polishing. Although I'm sure you'd have

to wet sand (very lightly) the original finish with .0000 steel wool so you'll have a good surface

to shoot the nitro.

They only thing I wish my Studio had is binding. I'm a do it yourselfer and I had considered this

project and I've done wood working before, but doubt I'll try this one.

So measure a few hundred times practice on a copy and a scrap wood.

Good luck with your project.

yeah i know it would be hard. if i do decide to do the binding i will definitely practice on regular and make sure i'd be able to do it properly. i also would consider having a good luthier do it (i'd have to look at the price range and see if i have any in my area.) i like the standards but i don't have enough money so i'd like to get my lp to look somewhat like a std but with a customization all its own.

more input guys!

I have contemplated doing the same for my VM Les Paul, I wanted to use the rosewood binding that stew-mac sells but it would be too expensive (if done by a luthier) or too risky (done by me).

If you take the virtual manufacturing tour here on the Gibson.com website you will see how the binding is added.

The last idea I had is to add a fake binding, meaning just paint a rosewood color stain pin-stripe style around the body simulating the binding, this should be a lot easier to do...

wow i love the rosewood binding! i didn't notice it untill you said that. i decided that if i go through with this i'll do a clear gloss (i might stain the wood darker, make it lighter or have it completely natural underneath though) and have rosewood binding (the maple or cream are alternates.)

i like how fast the neck is though and i probably wouldn't want to put the low gloss clear nitro on it. idk though. what do you guys think?

I have contemplated doing the same for my VM Les Paul' date=' I wanted to use the rosewood binding that stew-mac sells but it would be too expensive (if done by a luthier) or too risky (done by me).[/quote']

How expensive are we talking?

btw if i do this and it turns out as good as i think it could i will NOT regret not saving for the standard. it'll be a really neat natural feeling guitar with a glowing low gloss and natural rosewood binding. definitely one of a kind! what else do you think would be neat with it considering what i'd like to do right now?

ooo i might think about putting a h-90 in the neck...=P~

Adding a binding would definitely be expensive but not as expensive as a re-top. Definitely you are better off saving the money selling your VM and buying one of the more affordable faded models that has the binding.

In my case imy guitar has so many dings around the edge where the binding goes that the resale value does not come into play anymore.

The reason I was looking into the rosewood binding is that I like the neck without it, having a rosewood binding on the body would match perfectly...

Definitely you are better off saving the money selling your VM and buying one of the more affordable faded models that has the binding.

In my case imy guitar has so many dings around the edge where the binding goes that the resale value does not come into play anymore.

The reason I was looking into the rosewood binding is that I like the neck without it' date=' having a rosewood binding on the body would match perfectly...[/quote']

mine has the same problem, it has a little bit of buckle rash (i don't even wear belts when i play) and a good sized dent where the binding would be and a few other dings etc. i don't think it has much resale at all. and also it is my first (playable) guitar, so it has some sentimental attatchment. i like the idea of how this could look but i'm going to be wary and think about it a lot.

I found this and thought I'd link ya. Talk about a nice VM!

http://www.reranch.com/reranch/viewtopic.php?t=16584

now that's what i'm talking about. i would love to do that except a little less glossy, more tobacco brown than red, cream plastic and gold knobs, rosewood binding or maybe cream, and maybe a worn natural sunburst under the clear nitro.

thanks for the link, i will still consider doing it now when i have the time and funds (that'll be a while). i am interested in lutherie so this project really appealed to me. btw i want to see pics of that bfg when you're done oyster - it's what inspired me to do this in the first place!

now that's what i'm talking about. i would love to do that except a little less glossy' date=' more tobacco brown than red, cream plastic and gold knobs, rosewood binding or maybe cream, and maybe a worn natural sunburst under the clear nitro.

thanks for the link, i will still consider doing it now when i have the time and funds (that'll be a while). i am interested in lutherie so this project really appealed to me. btw i want to see pics of that bfg when you're done oyster - it's what inspired me to do this in the first place![/quote']

Wow! Thanks! hehe... I am eagerly awaiting a package from reranch... I ordered some 'original Gibson formula' gold from Bill. It's (and he's) supposed to be the best!! So, I can't wait to see the paint go on. It's even supposed to turn green after time, (uses bronze in the mix like the 50's stuff)

I'll be posting pics! Right now the poor naked BFG is just being patient.

Most of the stuff you want to do is pretty easy.... the binding would certainly be the hardest part! If you've never done a guitar project before, I'd suggest taking small steps! Learning to make the wood do exactly what you want it to do AND make it take a beautiful finish is one of the hardest things to master.

I've never done binding (don't really like it, myself) so I can't help ya there. Can't wait to see you start your project though - maybe I'll take a shine on binding! :-({|=

like i said it might be a while if i do it.

here is a picture of what level of gloss i like

fadeg.jpg

thanks guys for helping with this so much. back when i was looking to buy my first electric i signed up for the fender forum and use it occasionally, but the gibson forum is so much more helpful and there aren't any goo goo doll obsessed teenage girls (you had to be there).

i think just based on customer service and these forums i'd choose the gibson... if gibson's guitars weren't already the best.:-({|=

thanks guys for helping with this so much. back when i was looking to buy my first electric i signed up for the fender forum and use it occasionally' date=' but the gibson forum is so much more helpful and there aren't any goo goo doll obsessed teenage girls (you had to be there).

i think just based on customer service and these forums i'd choose the gibson... if gibson's guitars weren't already the best.:-({|=

[/quote']

Man, I hear ya. I always wanted a Gibson... I tried a couple other brands, nothing made in America, but when I finally got my Gibson, I knew why I had to have one. Nothing beats em.... at least, nothing I've seen thus far!

That is nice' date=' but all that clear lacquer will kill tone. [/quote']

It doesn't take much Nitro to get a finish like that. That stuff is hard as nails.... once you get a few coats, wetsand with some babyoil, or even water, it comes out like a mirror.

Archived