Gibson Brands Forums

Bubbles in binding on new 2008 Standard?

saroehr

I just received my first new Les Paul Standard. It is a 2008 model and truly beautiful. However, when reviewing the instrument upon receipt I noticed that within the lower horn there is an area that the binding has some of the stain on it in 1 spot. When looking at this further I noticed that there are what I could best describe as 2 small "bubbles" in the binding. They resemble just like bubbles in a paint job but from what I can tell they aren't. One is over the area with the stain spot and the other is next to it.

I am not particularly wanting to exchange the instrument as I really love the top on it in particular. I was wondering is something like this is normal or to be expected? Will it cause issues with the binding later on down the road?

I am trying to get some pictures of it now and will upload them once I can.

Thanks so much!

I just received my first new Les Paul Standard. It is a 2008 model and truly beautiful. However, when reviewing the instrument upon receipt I noticed that within the lower horn there is an area that the binding has some of the stain on it in 1 spot. When looking at this further I noticed that there are what I could best describe as 2 small "bubbles" in the binding. They resemble just like bubbles in a paint job but from what I can tell they aren't. One is over the area with the stain spot and the other is next to it.

I am not particularly wanting to exchange the instrument as I really love the top on it in particular. I was wondering is something like this is normal or to be expected? Will it cause issues with the binding later on down the road?

I am trying to get some pictures of it now and will upload them once I can.

Thanks so much!

I'm 24 with great vision and I struggled reading this post. Just a tip, but you may want to increase the size of the font. Unfortunately I have no experience with this binding issue and can only offer my slight criticism, so I apologize for that.

Hi and welcome to the forum.

Unfortunately, without seeing snaps it's difficult (for me, anyhow) to know exactly what it is that you are seeing.

Les Pauls are still, to a very large extent, hand-finished and there are, frequently, some minor imperfections in the finish - although I've never encountered what sounds like some form of blistering(?).

If you post some pictures it will help enormously. If you haven't already seen it, here's a link to show how it's done;

http://forum.gibson....to-post-photos/

Personally speaking, if the guitar is, otherwise, a good one then I'd merely ignore the flaws or, better still, think of them as giving the guitar some personal character and individuality.

P.

I'm 24 with great vision and I struggled reading this post. Just a tip, but you may want to increase the size of the font. Unfortunately I have no experience with this binding issue and can only offer my slight criticism, so I apologize for that.

I didn't see any tiny size when I posted it. I modified it to use size 3 rather than 1, though on my screen I am not seeing it very small but I do apologize.

Working on obtaining pictures now. Thanks so much for the quick replies!

I have some of the same small tiny bubbles/blemishes on the binding near the headstock on my SG neck also. Mine is a 2006 model. It is in the clear coat too and the clear coat is a little heavy there too. Not evenly spread. It is not much to worry with really enough to bother me but I too have this. I know that the company called "Big Bends" that makes that nut sauce string lube stuff for the nut has a new product out for taking out tiny scratches in finishes and such. I thought about getting some of that stuff and trying to see what happens. Also I believe that buffing them out would do it too. I just have not tried it yet because it really is hardly noticable. When I got my SG I noticed the frets were not finish dressed on the little E side or bottom of the fretboard side where my palm goes up and down the neck. It was rather noticable too. I dressed them out and got that all smoothed and stopped at that. The small bubbles are in the clear coat. It is almost like the guy was in kind of a hurry on the polishing wheel the day he got ahold of my SG. May have been the same guy who did your Les Paul too!!!! Tim

Here is a picture. I recognize it does not affect the playability and I freely admit I am very particular. I am not certain if they could be buffed out in a reasonable manner with fine scratch remover as if they are in the clearcoat they would appear to be fairly thick. I have contacted Gibson support. I am hoping that perhaps they can correct the issue through their shop. The instrument is beautiful and I don't want to exchange it :)

post-34028-011861900 1336743224_thumb.jpg

I hope you get satisfaction from Gibson's Customer Support.

Personally I'd just ignore the marks - especially if you really like the instrument in all other aspects - but I appreciate others expect to get what they pay for. Also I'm not too concerned with minor cosmetic 'issues' but, again, that's just me. If it was my guitar I might try to correct the imperfections myself - but would in all likelihood just make matters worse....

A Gibson is priced sufficiently highly that the buyer should perhaps expect better Quality Control.

Good Luck!

P.

As Gibson flaws and issues go, the one you've got there is, IMO, minor. But you've got to live with it, so you should be sure to be comfortable with any decision you make.

Here's Gibson's warranty exclusions on finishes: "Cracking, discoloration or damage of any sort to the finish or plating for any reason." http://www2.gibson.com/Support/WarrantyRegistration/Gibson-USA-Guitar/Warranty.aspx

Finish issues can be tough to get warranty coverage on. So that leads us to the dilemma you've already pointed out: Returning the guitar for an exchange is a crap shoot as you may end up with a guitar that has more/worse issues than your original purchase. If you really like the guitar - looks, playability, sound/tone - you might want to consider keeping it. If this issue is something that really bothers you, you should pursue an exchange, or return the guitar for a refund and then look for another.

Another option is taking it in for a repair by a shop/luthier you trust. Looks like a scrape and drop fill could fix it up pretty cheaply.

I hope this works out for you.

I had a premature finish issue and the Gibson Luthier fixed it cheap... Gibson picked up the bill for it... (since it was cheap)...

I really wouldn't worry about it.... after you've played it for 10 years, it will likely have more significant blemishes than that anyway. There's many a perfect looking guitar that plays like a dimestore special, and some ragged looking ones that play like a dream. In many ways, I wish all my guitars were still perfect, but I'm learning to appreciate the worn in look.... Don't think I'll ever love the relic look though.

If it was me, I wouldn't return the guitar for that reason. That's pretty minor, as finish issues go. I'd let it go for now and see if it still bothers you in a few months or so. Then a luthier might be able to buff it out or whatever. But it's pretty minor.

[thumbup]

UPDATE:

I spoke with my dealer Sweetwater. They agreed to offer me a replacement model for review. If I am not satisfied then they agreed to work with Gibson to get it correct. I can't say enough great things about Sweetwater. They truly display a concern for customer satisfaction for ALL customers not just large ones. Truly remarkable today!

I also was able to speak with Gibson directly and they agreed to review the instrument under warranty. With luck, they will be able to address the issue and I will be able to keep it!

Thank you to everyone for all your advice and ears to listen. Sincerely appreciated everyone!!

personally speaking here. If the guitar is right for you then that tiny bubble is added mojo. If you get another lp,it might not feel the same and that to me would make my ears.become more nit picky on what it sounded like.

Gibson yes should warranty it because of the cost of the product however not everything is perfect in this world. If that was the case then Chevy would make a better product lol.

• 3 months later...

Hi folks!

I promised an update on outcome. Gibson took the instrument in for warranty repair. I just got it back a few days ago. To say that they did a phenomenal job is an understatement! It is totally fixed and pristine! I appreciate and can't say enough about the repair process and Sweetwater who took care of faciliting the repair and making sure I was 110% satisfied.

Now to a question. To my dismay while holding the guitar by the neck taking it from the case, the body hit my knee. The instrument let out a horrid scary cracking sound :(. I checked the neck joint and it appears solid but was of course wondering if I should be truly concerned or is this something that while not great does occassionally happen. I have never had a set neck guitar either. I know with a bolt on this would mean I knocked the joint out of alignment (the strings went out of tune) but with a set neck I am afraid that perhaps I moved the joint or broke some glue loose or anything.

The instrument is now back to perfect condition and then I go and &*^% it.

Thanks everyone!

I doubt you would damage the neck joint by bumping the guitar on your knee. Did the guitar go out of tune and or neck out of adjustment when this happened? The cracking noise you heard may have just been the truss rod moving. I've heard this when adjusting truss rods many times. If the guitar seems OK I would'nt worry about it.

Yes, check the finish around the neck joint . . . as well as a close look at the finish on the back and the binding seams/joins around the body. If you don't find any cracked areas, and there are no buzzes when you play it - should be fine.

I doubt you would damage the neck joint by bumping the guitar on your knee. Did the guitar go out of tune and or neck out of adjustment when this happened? The cracking noise you heard may have just been the truss rod moving. I've heard this when adjusting truss rods many times. If the guitar seems OK I would'nt worry about it.

It was a pretty good bump. The guitar went out of tune for sure. I am not sure if the neck is out of adjustment. I checked the pocket and don't see any finish damage. It may then very well have been truss rod slipping a bit. I have never adjusted truss rods so am not familiar with those sounds. I was not aware the truss rod can move? I know it adjusts but I guess I figured it was tight in the cavity.

Thanks and my thanks again to Gibson for a perfect repair!

actually you may have just helped the neck-joint/truss rod etc. "settle in".

any new guitar I buy automatically gets a "few good bangs" on the body-back, and the neck, after the intital truss rod adjustment.....I don't even remember who taught me this, but i've never had to play "chase the neck adjustment" as by the 2nd adjustment it's settled in for the long haul.

Maybe it was your knee that made the cracking sound.

Have you seen a doctor?

HAHAHA! That indeed was funny. Good point. Not all the parts work as well when they get old on people not guitars!

Archived