Gibson Brands Forums

What's that smell?

JoeM17

Hi, I just received a new LP traditional. I opened the case and a waif of scent over came me. Now, this is my fourth Gibson and none of the others has this unique scent. What is it? Can I buy it and use it in my other cases? I really like the way it smells, like a new car.

yea, I hear you guys, like the new car smell huh! [tongue]

one of my all time FAV smells guitar aromas comes from the interior of my 06 Taylor GS and it still has that armoma, 6 years later.

Ceder top, mahogany back and sides, heavenly.

Now that you mention it, it is kind of a vanilla flavor smell, not like glue at all.

My '73 Les Paul Deluxe I got brand new back then did not have that smell at all when new, I wonder if it had the nitro finish back then?

About 15 years ago I bought my Carvin LB75 bass and when it arrived and I opened the case I got a pleasant smell as well! I thought it was maybe the wax they used and loved it but the smell went away after a few months. I was talking to Carvin Customer Support much later and mentioned it and the guy said they put a drop of vanilla extract in the case before shipping. I tried it and it was close but it didn't last long (maybe I used artificial vanilla!). In hindsight maybe he was teasing me but that would sure explain the nice smell...

.... I was talking to Carvin Customer Support much later and mentioned it and the guy said they put a drop of vanilla extract in the case before shipping. I tried it and it was close but it didn't last long (maybe I used artificial vanilla!). In hindsight maybe he was teasing me but that would sure explain the nice smell...

Carvin? . Gibson finishes with nitrocellulose lacquer. If you've ever worked with lacquer you would know the smell, somewhat similar to vanilla.

OTOH, there are members that swear the smell is from the adhesives used in the construction of cases.

IMO it's the smell of nitro lacquer off gassing.

I started the exact same topic when I got my new LP

My topic

Consensus was either glue in the case or nitro on the guitar, but i don't think it was ever settled.

Mine still smells that way although it is lessening over time.

My new 2012 Standard also has that smell. If you really want a great guitar scent than buy a Martin!!

I have an OM-21 and an HD-28V that truely smells like heavan. Cedar strips that bind the front and back to the sides is just killer.

Nothing like it. Martin does not ship their guitars with the lacquer not fully cured and dry.

.... Martin does not ship their guitars with the lacquer not fully cured and dry.

Solvent based nitrocellulose lacquer is an evaporative finish that doesn't cure, it just dries as the solvent evaporates (that sweet smell of the finish off gasing). The solvent can redissolve it at any time, and that's why finish repairs work so well on guitars finished with nitro. It's also great in that when the multiple coats are applied, the new coat melts into the previous one essentially making a single coat.

My 2012 '61 SG Reissue has the same smell.

I thought it was the SG, not the case?

Anyways, everytime I open the case I smell it, and it smells GREAT :D

I have a 78 reissues I bought new for $349.00. I still have it in mint condition. It is my sacred guitar. Enjoy!

name='BigKahune' timestamp='1336781214' post='1196998']

Solvent based nitrocellulose lacquer is an evaporative finish that doesn't cure, it just dries as the solvent evaporates (that sweet smell of the finish off gasing). The solvent can redissolve it at any time, and that's why finish repairs work so well on guitars finished with nitro. It's also great in that when the multiple coats are applied, the new coat melts into the previous one essentially making a single coat.

I am sorry if I used the wrong termonology in describing this but... when it comes to QC Martin kicks ***.

I have never seen a finish issue such as been described here on Gibson LP's with Martin. I have a new 2012 Standard that is flawless as far as I can see.

My point is that Gibson QC can be better. Both Martin and Gibson charge a premium price for their products and the quality should be the same.

My Classic Custom kinda smells like vanilla... not posting a pic here as my computer does not support scratch-n-sniff

Actually, they introduced PC based 'Smell-o-vision" back in the '90s, but it was a flop. It was similar in design to an ink jet printer, but instead of spraying various ink colors on paper, it sprayed various scents into the air. Like in the way every color imaginable can be created from just the three primary colors in different combinations, almost every scent imaginable can be created from a few dozen primary scents in different combinations. the easiest scent to create is Banana - requires one primary scent - and one of the most complex to create is Liquorish - requires a large number of primary scents. [lol]

Carvin? . Gibson finishes with nitrocellulose lacquer. If you've ever worked with lacquer you would know the smell, somewhat similar to vanilla.

OTOH, there are members that swear the smell is from the adhesives used in the construction of cases.

IMO it's the smell of nitro lacquer off gassing.

I purchased my first ever new Gibson about 2 months ago, LP Traditional Plus, and the guitar and the case has that vanilla smell. The case most likely has it because the guitar was inside it. Prior to this, I have purchased new Gibson cases, one for an SG and the other a V and they did NOT have this vanilla smell. I can assume because it never had a new guitar with the nitro finnish in it. I have also purchased new TKL cases (same case manufacturer) and never had the vanilla smell. I'll go with it being the Nitro or even buffing compound, but whichever, it's from the guitar, not the case glues, has to be IMO.

I have an ES-339 and an SG that are fairly new, and every time I play them, I spend half the time sniffing them. They smell just like candy. I have bought a couple of other new Gibsons in the past, back in the 70's, and I don't ever remember them smelling like that. My favorite smelling guitar though, is this 26 year old Martin D35 that smells like rosewood. It smells soooo good.

I have several guitars, those with Wood Cases, usually have a nice smell... 2 Gibsons, and 3-4 other guitars all have that... TKL made wood cases have a distict smell that's quite nice.

One music shop I freqent, the owner smokes a pipe... so there's a little pipe smell on the case of my one Gibson.. but it's actually a nice tobacco smell... like a good cigar shop.

My new 2012 Standard also has that smell. If you really want a great guitar scent than buy a Martin!!

I have an OM-21 and an HD-28V that truely smells like heavan. Cedar strips that bind the front and back to the sides is just killer.

Nothing like it. Martin does not ship their guitars with the lacquer not fully cured and dry.

+1

I bought my HD-28 new in 2001, and it still smells awesome!! Kinda weird sniffing the sound hole on my guitar, but it is very nice...

• 2 years later...

I'm glad I found this thread! I got a Gibson EB bass few days ago, and being my first Gibson I was almost scared about that smell, because I work with paints and the smell of the nitro we use is quite different, but I guess it's a different composition being an all-purpose paint.

I was scared the bass got wet or absurd things like that... It's my persecution of faulty things :P