Gibson Brands Forums

Bridge height on a les paul studio.

gene

Hello,

Iam kinda new with the tun-o-matic bridge, and i was wondering what the standard bridge height is. some people on forums talk about 0.040 and 0.055 but i dont know what 0.040 or 0.55 (cm, mm, inch). my bridge height is to high at the moment so i wanna adjust it correctly now.

(i got an Bigsby on my les paul studio i dont know if that matters anything.}

Greetings Gene Troost.

There is no standard bridge height. You simply raise or lower the bridge until the string height is at the setting you desire. You measure string height, and adjust the bridge to accomplish this. The tolerances are different on each guitar, and since each guitar's neck set angle will slightly vary, the bridge height between 2 same models will be different slightly. :)

Guest BentonC

We adjust the bridge to get the desired factory string height. For our LP's, it is:

Action (from top of fret to bottom of string)-

12th Fret bass side: 3/64”

12th Fret treble side: 5/64”

1st Fret bass side: 2/64”

1st Fret treble side: 1/64”

[thumbup]

We adjust the bridge to get the desired factory string height. For our LP's, it is:

[thumbup]

Thank you for the string heights,

But with what measure instrument should i measure it, and how should i measure it?

Greetings Gene Troost.

In the U.S. they are normally called Feeler Gauges and are used to adjust the gap in spark plugs and to gap ignition points on autos. They will usually be sold where you would get tools for auto repair. You just slip the appropriate size feeler gauge over the top of the fret wire and check the gap between the fret wire and the bottom of the string. Adjust the bridge down until the feeler gauge slips in and touches the bottom of the string without raising it up.

[thumbup]

I think you have the 12th fret measurements backwards

Treble side should be 3/64

Bass side should be 5/64

Archived