Gibson Brands Forums

Gibson Robert Johnson L-1

PeteGalaxie

I like the sound and look of the Robert Johnson L-1 model but have never been a fan of guitars that have a signature on them. Does anyone know if a "custom" Robert Johnson model could be ordered without the "signature" on the fret board? [confused]

I like the sound and look of the Robert Johnson L-1 model but have never been a fan of guitars that have a signature on them. Does anyone know if a "custom" Robert Johnson model could be ordered without the "signature" on the fret board? [confused]

It could be would be a 'custom order', so considerably more expensive, mate. I do agree with you though, despite having a couple of artist models myself I'm really no fan of the idea of sig models in general, less so when there's a permanent inlay depicting a sig. I'd probably own one of these models already if there was no RJ sig inlay at the 12th.

Check it out with a dealer and get a quote for an L1 though, perhaps it might not work out too expensive for you, who knows.

It is one thing when they put a signature on the TRC which is easily removed. But I also gotta admit - a signature slapped on the fingerboard probably would bother me. Seems stupid to even me but it would. It is even sillier when you think that there is absolutely no evidence that Johnson ever actually owned an L-1 so bascially you just get a good example of Gibson marketing staring you in the face every day.

• 1 month later...

Hey everyone- been lurking around for awhile and finally registered, so this is my first post. I custom ordered an L1 without the Robert Johnson signature a couple of years ago.

I was really on a quest to find a nice Lg-1. I happened upon a Robert Johnson L-1 at a local store and never should have picked it up. I loved that guitar but just couldn't get over that signature...I took a chance and ordered a Custom version without the signature and with a pickup. It was more expensive, but really not that much more. When you think about it, it's a lot less labor w/o the inlaid signature.

After two years, I probably play the L-1 more than any other guitar.

It's a way more versatile guitar than just the blues box it's marketed as, but it won't compete volume-wise unplugged with a couple of other guitars. It will be drowned out by a jumbo or even some dreads. Because of the lack of volume in group settings, I think I'd be frustrated with the L-1 if it was my only acoustic -luckily, I have an old Guild rosewood dread for such occassions...

I've grown to like the guitar so much i think i could have lived with the signature had i bought that first one I played..

Just got a Robert Johnson a few weeks ago, and love the sound - works for me for any style of finger-picking, not just blues. Doesn't seem to be much of a strummer though.

I feel ya' about the signature. I just pretend that it's not there and instead look at that sweet little round butt. Love that shape [biggrin]

Archived