Gibson Brands Forums

Tube amp advice for two-piece band

Zoman

Hey guys,

I have a Gibson LP Studio, and a Fender GDEC30. The GDEC is all good for lounge room jamming, songwriting and especially good through the headphones (useful while my girlfriend watches tv...). Obviously it's limited, Not amazing quality, and not suitable for gigs.

I'm jamming with a drummer, and we're likely going to start playing parties soon. Punk, electric blues, grunge.

I want to get a tube amp to achieve some quality tone. I play mainly fuzz / distortion, but don't want that synthetic metal sound... Want more a warm fuzz, crunch sound. I don't want piercing sharp distortion like Brian May. I also need the option of a beautiful clean sound for mellow songs.

Does a silky beautiful tube amp like a fender deluxe, work well with some type of fuzz pedal, to create a nice warm fuzz? I've never used a pedal but am open to it.

Or am i better to go with a more traditional 'distortion' amp like a Marshall or Vox, and just use their overdrive to achieve distortion rather than a pedal?

Budget about 1000 Australian dollars, and I'll keep my little fender for lounge jamming if the new tube amp is too loud for casual noodling.

What do you guys recommend? What will bring the most out of my LP Studio?

Thanks in advance!

Welcome to the forums!! I'd highly recommend the Fender Deluxe(Hot Rod Deluxe or Deluxe Reverb RI). Both have an excellent clean tone and handle pedals really well. There's also the old Fender 5E3 Deluxe, which is a fuzz MONSTER(think Neil Young), but kinda limited in the cleans with a full band.

I play in a duo with a drummer playing loud rock-blues-metal-punk-psychadelic-alternative (at least thats the best way i can describe it) anyways i use a fender hot rod deluxe iii with a pedalboard, although no fuzz at the moment and i mainly use p90 equipped guitars...its a neat amp and with the eq, presence, and bright controls for the clean channel you can get a good mix of warmer or brighter sounds. Check it out. Also, 40 watts is hella loud. If I turn it up to 3 (out of 12) when gigging, sound guys usually tell me to turn it down...

Archived