Gibson Brands Forums

how to remove fungus spots from fretboard?

There are mould spots growing on the bare wood on my SG's fretboard.

Can anyone suggest a good way of removing the spots and restoring the wood to its original condition?

The guitar was stored in its case while I was away for a few weeks. When I returned, I found spots of fungus (similar to what grows on stale bread). I cleaned and polished the whole guitar but some marks remain on the fretboard where the fungus was growing. I suspect it has grown into the grain of the wood and may need more drastic action to remove the stains.

Any and all suggestions will be much appreciated.

Thanks for reading this

leon

Hi Leon

this is rosewood I assume?

So what you could probably do is take some 0000 steel wool and gently scrub the fungus off the fretboard.

Go with the grain of the wood and go slow in between each fret.

then treat the rosewood with some Guitar Honey, or 100% natural lemon oil.

Take a cotton rag and apply the oil to the fretboard, let it soak in, wipe off the excess,

and if it sill looks dry, (all the oil soaked in) you could do it again.

I have used Guitar Honey for some time now, I like it.

http://www.amazon.com/Gerlitz-GEGHO-Guitar-Honey-Fingerboard/dp/B000EEJF4O

Thanks for the hint about Guitar Honey.

My friendly local guitar shop also gave me some advice. They recommended 4 parts white vinegar + 1 part hot water to clean off the fungus and kill any spores.

This seems to have worked (so far) and it has not discoloured the wood. And it doesn't smell either :-)

Also, on a bright dry day I left the case open in the sun for a few hours to make sure it was thoroughly clean and dry.

But if the fungus returns I'll look into the Guitar Honey solution.

Thanks again for your interest, and I hope this might be useful for other players with the same problem.

leon

Thanks for the hint about Guitar Honey.

My friendly local guitar shop also gave me some advice. They recommended 4 parts white vinegar + 1 part hot water to clean off the fungus and kill any spores.

This seems to have worked (so far) and it has not discoloured the wood. And it doesn't smell either :-)

Also, on a bright dry day I left the case open in the sun for a few hours to make sure it was thoroughly clean and dry.

But if the fungus returns I'll look into the Guitar Honey solution.

Thanks again for your interest, and I hope this might be useful for other players with the same problem.

leon

Hi Leon,

Good tip on the vinegar / water mixture.

the guitar honey (or 100% pure lemon oil) will just help treat the rose wood and keep from drying out excessively. I think it's recommended that it's only done once or twice a year anyway.

and, I hope the fungi problem is forever solved.

/KB

• 2 years later...
1338294798[/url]' post='1205394']

Hi Leon,

Good tip on the vinegar / water mixture.

the guitar honey (or 100% pure lemon oil) will just help treat the rose wood and keep from drying out excessively. I think it's recommended that it's only done once or twice a year anyway.

and, I hope the fungi problem is forever solved.

/KB

The solution is not getting in cuz the surface has got all the seal product on it..they are working nothing, even more seal cant get in..SOS SCRUB PAD your fingerboard real good then treat it again

• 1 month later...

For mold on guitars I'd wipe with a solution of 1/10 water to bleach solution.

Hydrogen peroxide would work also. But this is only on the finished portion. The problem is if you have mold growing in the pores of the open wood inside. Even if the mold dies it's going to be hard to remove the stains without really smearing the dead mould all over the place

• 1 month later...

Never had to deal with fungi on fretboards, but I treated several guitars and basses of pals against them. That's what I use since decades, not the spray but the pure fluid sold in cans and glass bottles: http://www.ballistol.de/90-1-BALLISTOL-Universal-Oil.html

Moreover, avoid over-humidifying. Bacteria and fungi are all around us except for sterile medicine, electronic chip and spacecraft production areas. It's crucial to avoid condensation. All microbes will forcibly need water for growing, and environments dry enough won't feed them.

A good rub through the frets with lemon oil will do the trick. Plus it soaks into the fretboard and lets it breathe again.

Speaking of fungus...how's the groin going? Any crotch rot?

Any heartwood is dead since years before wood harvest, and it will never breathe again. You can't make a guitar of sapwood still alive.

I'd worry, too...about where else the "Fungus" is, in your house! [scared]

Mold and fungus can create all kinds of "health" issues. Might want

to have your home inspected, just to be safe? Just a thought... :unsure:

CB

No joke , could be a bad problem

Archived