Gibson Brands Forums

Local bands...

Tim Plains

Who were some of the great bands in your area that never made it?

Any youtube videos?

You guys heard of Rainbow Butt Monkeys a.k.a. Finger Eleven? They're pretty well known around here, not sure how well known they are down south. They're from my home town, but the best band by far was Slurpy Mundae, later Idle Sons.

When they were Slurpy, they were awesome! I went to school with the drummer and used to see them play live all the time. Over time, they gained some recognition and changed their name to Idle Sons. After 15 years or so, they were nominated for a CASBY (Canadian Artist Selected By You), but then called it quits. Their first and only CD under Idle Sons was called Sixteen Seasons. It had a few decent songs on it, but nothing compared to their old stuff...they really mellowed out. The only youtube video I've seen of theirs was a song called "Tell Me." I don't like that song personally, but it did get some play time on the local radio stations.

Their old stuff was pretty solid. I still listen to their old CDs and they just rock!

We had some good bands come out of the late 70s and 80s that had moderate national success. KIX, Crack the Sky and The Ravyns to name a few. The Ravyns even got their song Raised On the Radio in Fast Times At Ridgemont High.

In the 90s there was Jimmys Chicken Shack and Honor Among Thieves, who became SR71 and jumped on the Blink 182 bandwagon. But hey, they played Gibsons and Epis.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AntS8kzos1A

Archived