Gibson Brands Forums

24.75" Scale Epiphone Hummingbird?

• 5 months later...

Yes they made them for a short time. They have a great feel to them. It is a little easier to bend strings and the strings sing without having the extra tension of a longer scale. The early gibson hummingbirds were orginaly 24.75 scale. I have one that is in near mint condition with original box. I could let mine go for $350.00. (909)771-9477 Tom

Wouldn't surprise me. Scale length on a particular model, with Gibson, seems to be a moving target. We've heard reports here of two different length H'Birds in the same store at the same time, both new.

Not a scientific survey, but it seems the most common model discussed on this site, to have varying scale lengths is the Hummingbird. Not sure if it's because the H'Bird more likely to have different scale lengths or if H'Bird owners are more prone to get the measuring tape out.

• 1 year later...

My 2010 Indonesian made Hummingbird is indeed 24.75" scale. I just measured it myself. I bought it secondhand in mint condition and It's a VERY good sounding dreadnought. I finally found a bone saddle that fits which was hard since it's 3" long with the 12" radius. I also upgraded the Grovers with precision Gotoh sealed Keystone SG301's. My favorite acoustic right now but I'm going to get an IB 64' Texan soon! [thumbup]

00e0e_7buaYNzr4i5_600x450_zps0d1002d9.jpg

My 2010 Indonesian made Hummingbird is indeed 24.75" scale. I just measured it myself. I bought it secondhand in mint condition and It's a VERY good sounding dreadnought. I finally found a bone saddle that fits which was hard since it's 3" long with the 12" radius. I also upgraded the Grovers with precision Gotoh sealed Keystone SG301's. My favorite acoustic right now but I'm going to get an IB 64' Texan soon![/url]

Very nice...and you'll love that Texan. Specs on Epiphone website show the Hummingbird Pro to be 24.75 scale length as well.

Have a look:

http://www.epiphone.com/Products/Acoustic-Electric/Hummingbird-PRO.aspx

I like most things about the Hummingbird. There only three things I don't like:

1. Too many rings around the sound hole

2. Fretboard binding (though looks better on Hummingbird than most other models)

3. Electronics controls on the side of the guitar. I would prefer them tucked away unseen in the sound hole ala Masterbilt, Texan and Dove.

I would love a J45 True Vintage with a natural top! That is on my wish list next year!

FYI if you are in the market:

The GC in Arlington Heights IL has a 62 J50 the last time I was there. Condition Good, it was a player, and has a lot of checking, some pickgaurd lift, but sounds good, very mellow.

Has been there quite a while so might make them an offer.

J50s never seem to command the price of J45s.

Archived