Gibson Brands Forums

Please help me decipher the difference between these two guitars?

Hi everyone!

Need a little help here. I am trying to decide which of these two guitars to get.

http://www.themusiczoo.com/product/15246/Epiphone-Les-Paul-Plus-Top-Pro-Electric-Guitar-Heritage-Cherry-Sunburst/

http://www.themusiczoo.com/product/13603/Epiphone-Les-Paul-Custom-Pro-Electric-Guitar-Ebony/

These are both the brand new PRO models with the coil switching.

Now, I currently have an Agile AL-2000 in ebony, so i'm getting tired of the ebony color, which is why i really want the plus top pro because of its beautiful color. However, Does the custom pro sound a lot better than the plus top pro?

What is the difference between these two guitars besides the colors?

Thank you

Not very much really. same pickups and wiring options..both have grovers etc.

The only thing I can see on the specs is that the Custom has a nut width listed as 1.687" and the plus top isn't listed.....I just checked the specs off the gibson website and and confusingly the custom nut width is listed as 1 11/16" which is 1.6875"(42.8625mm) which seems to tie in nicely, and the plus top is listed as 1.68" (42.672mm)

So it appears that the custom may have a slightly wider nut...however it may just be the websites trying to round the number up or down to make them easier. ...

can anybody confirm or debunk my assumption that the custom has a slightly wider nut than the standard.

you will get a better look at the differences between epi LPs from the gibson website HERE

As far as I know, the only differences are cosmetic. In fact, that is the case for ALL Les-Pauls above the Studio model. It's a hand-me-down from the Gibson naming system, however all Epi LPs are made in the same factory.

So to answer your question, as far as I know, there should be absolutely no difference in sound between the two.

Edit: Bigneil, I would assume the nuts are the same. As I said, they are made in the same factory. I sincerely doubt they make different nuts - not cost effective. That website also doesn't list the probucker pups in the custom model but does so in the plus top, but we all know by now the pup combination is standard.

As far as I know, the only differences are cosmetic. In fact, that is the case for ALL Les-Pauls above the Studio model. It's a hand-me-down from the Gibson naming system, however all Epi LPs are made in the same factory.

So to answer your question, as far as I know, there should be absolutely no difference in sound between the two.

Edit: Bigneil, I would assume the nuts are the same. As I said, they are made in the same factory. I sincerely doubt they make different nuts - not cost effective. That website also doesn't list the probucker pups in the custom model but does so in the plus top, but we all know by now the pup combination is standard.

yea I think you are probably right. my calculations leave such an tiny difference in size (.01mm) it would be silly to assume otherwise. I think it is odd that the all the normal LP's are listed as 1.68" and the customs are listed in a different format as 1 11/16" .... perhaps were supposed to think it makes them more special LOL

If Epiphones are consistent with Gibsons, the Custom LP's are all mahogany and do not have the maple (or alder with maple veneer in the case of Epiphone) cap of the LP Standard. The general consensus is that the maple top adds a bit of brightness and definition to the tone, so the Customs tend to be a bit darker and richer sounding than the Standards. Which is better is of course a matter of personal preference.

I think the questions about difference have been answered, now lets get down to the nitty gritty bit :D i'd have the cherry burst if it were me, but that said they are both fantastic looking guitars and i am sure you will be happy whichever one you choose

If Epiphones are consistent with Gibsons, the Custom LP's are all mahogany and do not have the maple (or alder with maple veneer in the case of Epiphone) cap of the LP Standard. The general consensus is that the maple top adds a bit of brightness and definition to the tone, so the Customs tend to be a bit darker and richer sounding than the Standards. Which is better is of course a matter of personal preference.

Wrong in this case. The Custom Pro at least does have the maple veneer top according to the Epiphone website. So in this case the differences are entirely cosmetic as far as I could find.

If playing/sounding wise the same (or close) I'd be going for the burst. Blacks nice (like my ProJet, Ric 325 etc) but that beautiful yellow/orange with the blaze of wood grain just does it for me anyway.

Aster

Archived