Gibson Brands Forums

EMGs SUCK!!!

ESPguy

I met a moron who put an 81&85 in his Les Paul.

You could stick those emgs in a block of styrofoam and get the same no tone sound. What a waste of mahogany!

Post of the week, for sure...........

Personally, I agree with you! I would never put EMG 81/85's in a Les Paul. But it is all a matter of taste ;) I like tone, some like over the top crunch and could care less for even a touch of cleans LOL. The stock pups in most Gibson's crunch just fine. You will never find 1 pickup that will do everything, that's why they make so many (and why just 1 guitar is never enough!!!).

I met a moron who put an 81&85 in his Les Paul.

You could stick those emgs in a block of styrofoam and get the same no tone sound. What a waste of mahogany!

Next time you see Zakk please say "Hi" from me...

If emg pickups will get you closer to "your tone" by all means, go for it. The mqin reasons people say emgs sound "the same" is because many emg equipped guitars are played at high gain levels. Personally, i think emgs are great high-output pickups that retain clarity, whereas many others lose amlot of treble and can sound muddy. A/B a strat and paul both equipped with an 81/85 set, through a good tube amp, and then tell me theres no difference...

• 6 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

In 1987 I put an EMG 81 in an Epiphone strat I had, I liked it then but we were also teenagers with terrible amps at the time. (I was playing through a 1970s Peavey Musician head with a 4x12 and a 2x12, and a yellow DOD overdrive pedal, as that head had 'tremolo' and 'fuzz' but zero gain.) It sounded more aggressive than the stock pickups, but also rather sterile and flat. Fast forward to now, and while I've still got that guitar I haven't played it in at least a decade, as EMGs seem far less necessary to me when running through a a decent Marshall. I do however use an ESP Custom Shop M series with an EMG 81 for a few situations.

Archived