Gibson Brands Forums

Southpaws?

Cruznolfart

I don't fit the mold when it comes to being left-handed. I throw left; bat and kick right. I play guitar righty; drums lefty. Go figger. eusa_think.gif I've known guitarists who, when injuries ended their right-handed playing days, re-taught themselves to play lefty. Personally, I'm totally klutzy when trying to play guitar lefty.

How many of you are southpaws?

Not sure there is a mold?

I write with my left hand and shoot left handed by preference but I do everything else right handed, Play guitar, throw a ball bat right, etc, etc. So I'm right handed by choice I guess, It wasn't my choice though I went to a Catholic school as a child and there was only two ways of doing things right handed and the other way Wrong. We learned to do everything right handed no matter what the nuns believed that everybody was right handed and some of us were just lazy or confused. I can write just about as well (or as bad) with my right hand but the top of the letters tilt backwards or to the left which looks kind of strange so I usually write lefty.

worked out in the long run I guess I'm pretty well ambidextrous and use whatever hand is close most of the time.

edit - I'd hate to play guitar lefty though it would sure limit the number of guitars I could play. Hey maybe that's the cure for GAS eusa_think.gif

Not sure there is a mold?

I write with my left hand and shoot left handed by preference but I do everything else right handed' date=' Play guitar, throw a ball bat right, etc, etc. So I'm right handed by choice I guess, It wasn't my choice though I went to a Catholic school as a child and there was only two ways of doing things right handed and the other way Wrong. We learned to do everything right handed no matter what the nuns believed that everybody was right handed and some of us were just lazy or confused. I can write just about as well (or as bad) with my right hand but the top of the letters tilt backwards or to the left which looks kind of strange so I usually write lefty.

worked out in the long run I guess I'm pretty well ambidextrous and use whatever hand is close most of the time.

edit - I'd hate to play guitar lefty though it would sure limit the number of guitars I could play. Hey maybe that's the cure for GAS [img']http://forum.gibson.com/public/style_emoticons/default/eusa_think.gif[/img]

Interesting that you shoot left. Long guns, too, or just handguns? I'm about the same with handguns with either hand but can't get the hang of shooting long guns lefty. When I was a kid it seemed the purpose of most adults to eliminate left-handedness from the population. I was given penmanship exercises to do right-handed every night. That lasted long enough for them to discover me doing a shaky version with my left hand, rather than torture myself trying to write righty.

Trust me, it's a real PITA to be a goofy-foot drummer on open mic night.

On reconsideration, I think you're right to question the existence of a typical southpaw. Most of us are, to some extent or other, more ambi than most right-handers.

Yep Long gun's also your probably right eye dominate. makes more of a difference on rifles than handguns if it's close, but the dominate eye drives shooting more than the dominate hand. At least thats what they taught in Long range precision shooting classes which is what they called sniper school after having snipers on the team became so not politically correct.

I always wondered why right-handed people fret with their left hands and lefties fret with their right? You would figure that you have more dexterity in your dominate hand. And the dominate hand would be better suited for fretting the notes, instead of plucking (or strumming) the strings.

I always wondered why right-handed people fret with their left hands and lefties fret with their right? You would figure that you have more dexterity in your dominate hand. And the dominate hand would be better suited for fretting the notes' date=' instead of plucking (or strumming) the strings.[/quote']

I'm left handed and play righty for exactly that reason (that and my dad who taught me had a right handed guitar--also lefty). On the other hand I write with the right hand (explains my bad handwriting), throw and catch better with the left and kick a ball leftfooted.

I always wondered why right-handed people fret with their left hands and lefties fret with their right? You would figure that you have more dexterity in your dominate hand. And the dominate hand would be better suited for fretting the notes' date=' instead of plucking (or strumming) the strings.[/quote']

try switching and watch how much trouble you have keeping constant rythym with your non-dominant hand its all about the brain connections not the dexterity

I'm left, but play right. I tried to play left when I was learning at 5, but my dad reminded me that his guitars were all right, and that's what I had to learn on.

And yes the dexterity thing bodes well for me having my dominant hand fretting.

Archived