Gibson Brands Forums

Le Grand or Le Grande

Nizzajetset

Hallo!

Is it right, that GIBSON manufactured the LE GRAND between 1994 and 1996.

And the LE GRANDE (HSLGGH) was introduced in 2000 and still is in production?

What is the difference between these two models?

If they are different is the Le Grand more expensive (really higher in value?) as the Le GrandE?

How much costs a new LE Grande now and how much is the price range for a good used guitar from the year 2002?

Thank you so much in advance for your help!!!!!

Hallo!

Is it right, that GIBSON manufactured the LE GRAND between 1994 and 1996.

And the LE GRANDE (HSLGGH) was introduced in 2000 and still is in production?

What is the difference between these two models?

If they are different is the Le Grand more expensive (really higher in value?) as the Le GrandE?

How much costs a new LE Grande now and how much is the price range for a good used guitar from the year 2002?

Thank you so much in advance for your help!!!!!

Except for the change in spelling of the name, there is no difference, and they've been making the same model in small numbers more or less continuously since its introduction.

Danny W.

Except for the change in spelling of the name, there is no difference, and they've been making the same model in small numbers more or less continuously since its introduction.

Danny W.

Hallo Danny!

This was a very important information!!!! Thank you so much!

Do you have any idea how much a new Le Grand costs - just about?

Do I have a chance to get a new one and how can I order a new one? I am sorry, but in Europe we are missing these informations!

Thanks again for your help and best greetings!

The Le Grand/Johnny Smith was introduced in 1961 and reintroduced as Le Grande in 1993.

You can find attached the specifications of this model from the Gruhns Guide to Vintage Guitars here:

Johnny Smith/Le Grand: 17”wide, 3 1/8”deep (not as deep as L-5), single rounded cutaway, X-braced carved spruce top, maple back and sides, 1 floating mini-humbucking pickup, knobs on pickguard, adjustable ebony bridge, L-5 style tailpiece with model name on center insert, multiple-bound top and back, 25”scale, multiple-bound ebony fingerboard with square end, split-block inlay, multiple-bound peghead, 5 piece split-diamond peghead inlay, gold-plated hardware, sunburst or natural finish

Introduced: 1961

6-finger tailpiece: by 1979

Discontinued: 1989

Reintroduce as Le Grande: Chablis, dark wineburst, sunrise orange or translucent amber finish: 1993

Vintage sunburst finish optional, sunrise orange discontinued: 1995

Tri-burst finish optional: 1997

The Le Grand/Johnny Smith was introduced in 1961 and reintroduced as Le Grande in 1993.

You can find attached the specifications of this model from the Gruhns Guide to Vintage Guitars here:

Johnny Smith/Le Grand: 17”wide, 3 1/8”deep (not as deep as L-5), single rounded cutaway, X-braced carved spruce top, maple back and sides, 1 floating mini-humbucking pickup, knobs on pickguard, adjustable ebony bridge, L-5 style tailpiece with model name on center insert, multiple-bound top and back, 25”scale, multiple-bound ebony fingerboard with square end, split-block inlay, multiple-bound peghead, 5 piece split-diamond peghead inlay, gold-plated hardware, sunburst or natural finish

Introduced: 1961

6-finger tailpiece: by 1979

Discontinued: 1989

Reintroduce as Le Grande: Chablis, dark wineburst, sunrise orange or translucent amber finish: 1993

Vintage sunburst finish optional, sunrise orange discontinued: 1995

Tri-burst finish optional: 1997

Claiming the LeGrand is the same model as the JS is misleading. The Smith had a 25" scale with a 1.75" nut width, while both my LeGrands have a longer scale with the standard 1 & 11/16" nut. My Smiths all had JS pickups, with adjustable polepieces, with the neck pup mounting to the neck extension, while the LeGrands have non-adjustable BJB pickup mounted to the pickguard. The pickup assembly is different, with a 1/4" jack on the LG vs the 1/8" jack on the JS, and no tone control on the LG. The body depth on my LG's is 3" at the rims. The LG has fancier trim, too. All these small differences add up to a model that is actually better than a Smith IMO, but it's not the same guitar.

As for the name, I have a 1995 vintage sunburst and a 1997 antique natural--both are labeled "LeGrand." No final "e", no space, and both made after the claimed changeover date. I've seen several of the ones marked Le Grande and they appear identical to mine.

Danny W

Hallo Friends!

Your answers and clerification brought light into knowlege. Thank you so much!

Now I am still in trouble, as I need your advice:

Hallo Friends!

Your answers and clarification brought light into knowledge. Thank you so much!

Now I am still in trouble, as I need your advice again:

I can buy a new one: Ebony/black with nacre tuners for 7.000€

or Year 2002 model second hand, but mint: Sunburst (without certificate!!!) for 5.000€

Or should I wait a year and order a new one for 10.000€, as a dealer in Nederlands told me that it is possible to order a new one?

Are these prices generell to high?

Does theses guitars have a growing value and are these guitars also so rare in USA as in Europe?

The one in Ebony, I guess is very rare, or?

Would you buy such a expensive guitar, without certificate? (Thinking in terms of value, when selling it maybe one day?)

Thank you in advance for your help and answers!!!!

Very sad that nobody is able to answer my questions!

May I tell you now that Gibson is taking orders for the Le Grand - so the Le Grand is in production!

There are also Le Grand in Music Shops in USA and the Price to order a new one is about 9700€.

Best greetings from old Europe - the source of information

Keep swinging & dreaming... :-({|=

I will have mine soon!

I am seeing some problems in your post regarding the LeGrand. An ebony LeGrand? WHY on earth would Gibson be making this guitar in ebony? Makes NO sense to this player at least. I have a funny feeling that there is something majorily wrong with this guitar. I would in NO way consider buying such a guitar without seeing it in person. In regards to ordering a new one don't expect to see it for quite some time....... I had Gibson build me a one off ES-350T with a single alnico in the neck position about 8 years ago, but that was a different time when Gibson actually cared about customers which frankly they do not anymore. The LeGrand is not that rare of a guitar really. You see on them on ebay from time to time. Good Luck! jim in Maine

I too would never buy a black hollow body Le Grand. The prices you quote seem about right. I would inspect the guitar thoroughly in person rather than buy online, no matter who the seller is.

If you are patient, then custom ordering would be a viable option but pricey (your 10k figure would be about right for that).

Good luck on whatever you decide and make sure that you post pictures of whatever you decide on.

I too would never buy a black hollow body Le Grand. The prices you quote seem about right. I would inspect the guitar thoroughly in person rather than buy online, no matter who the seller is.

If you are patient, then custom ordering would be a viable option but pricey (your 10k figure would be about right for that).

Good luck on whatever you decide and make sure that you post pictures of whatever you decide on.

As i understand it, a Le Grande is a Johnny Smith but with an L5 neck. The necks on the original Johnny Smiths are different.

The Johnny Smiths are really beautiful guitars and are worth owning for the sound. They are very warm sounding, great to play and have different internal bracing when compared to an L5. They also have a floating pickup which allows the soundboard to vibrate freely. I still gig with my '68 Johnny Smith.

Sorry but price wise no idea but a good second hand Johnny Smith is more than $10k in Australia

As i understand it, a Le Grande is a Johnny Smith but with an L5 neck. .

Not quite, since the LeGrand doesn't have the point on the end of the L-5 fretboard but does have the split block inlay of the JS. It does have the same dimensions as the L-5 neck, though.

Danny W.

Hallo Friends,

I will order a new Le Grand. Unclear is still the color: Chablis or " translucent Amber Finish". Unfortuanetly, the Music Show where I Order the Guitar is Not able to Show me only pics from the Internet. Does Gibson not provide any picture material to decide the color? Hard to believe ordering a guitar for 10.000€ and do not know how it will look like?

Can somebody Show me a Picture with translucent Amber Finish, that I can imagine how it Looks like?

I am ordering the Guitar from a Music Shop in Nederlands, who says that he has Direct contact to Gibson and have to make a prepayment of 50% and wait 14 month.Is this the normal way to order a Gibson custom at a music shop or is there also the possibility to order direct from Gibson?

As I have never ordered a Gibson Custom Guitar, I would be very thankful if you could give me some further information, when ordering a custom model. Thank you in advance for your efforts!

Hallo Friends,

I will order a new Le Grand. Unclear is still the color: Chablis or " translucent Amber Finish". Unfortuanetly, the Music Show where I Order the Guitar is Not able to Show me only pics from the Internet. Does Gibson not provide any picture material to decide the color? Hard to believe ordering a guitar for 10.000€ and do not know how it will look like?

Can somebody Show me a Picture with translucent Amber Finish, that I can imagine how it Looks like?

I am ordering the Guitar from a Music Shop in Nederlands, who says that he has Direct contact to Gibson and have to make a prepayment of 50% and wait 14 month.Is this the normal way to order a Gibson custom at a music shop or is there also the possibility to order direct from Gibson?

As I have never ordered a Gibson Custom Guitar, I would be very thankful if you could give me some further information, when ordering a custom model. Thank you in advance for your efforts!

Chablis is a natural finish with a noticeable pink tinge. Translucent amber is a type of antique natural. Gibson's website used to have an interactive color selector, but that disappeared awhile ago.

See this for some help:http://www.gibson.com/files/downloads/custom/catalog2001.pdf

I've ordered several Custom Shop guitars from Gibson. My advice is to be patient, since it will likely take much longer than quoted, and if there are problems with the guitar when you receive it, don't hesitate to contact Gibson. They have always made things right for me. I can also tell you that my Custom Shop Gibsons are all things of beauty and joy and I am extremely happy with them.

Danny W.

Thank you Danny!

I guess I will go for the Trans Amber, with a rosewood Bridge and Perlmutt grover Tuners. I have also asked for a 60Neck. - Do you think they will make it?

The Link is a big help and Thanks for your advice. I just Hope that it will Not so Long that the € will Loose its Value.... [crying]

I will order, As soon they agree to my Specification [biggrin]

• 8 months later...
  • 1 year later...

Archived