Gibson Brands Forums

Randy scruggs advanced jumbo

ditdr

I'm purely interested because of the exotic back and sides and the long scale and spacier nut width its. 050" wider!!! Plus with premium fish man electronics! Zzounds has em for 3499 right now with a payment plan available

Well I actually looked at the Gibson website out of curiosity and it says it has EIR with a Sitka spruce top. I dunno if somebody made a misprint or what, but that's what Gibson says.

Kinda makes me wonder what the big advantage is other than different inlays and having electronics. I know the luthiers choice models have the adirondack tops, or well I think they do.

http://www2.gibson.com/Products/Acoustic-Instruments/Round-Shoulder/Gibson-Acoustic/Randy-Scruggs-Advanced-Jumbo/Specs.aspx

• 3 years later...

I've got one, couldn't resist the unique abalone inlays and the fact that you will probably never run into another when you're out strumming. The crown inlays are a little basic for a custom artist guitar, it may have some meaning to Randy but I don't really know the significance of the design.

It has Sitka Spruce for the top and East Indian rosewood back & sides.

Mine is serial No. 10900001, was trying to figure out if it was guitar No. 1 of this series but so far no luck. Gibson has said they don't have the records? SO if anyone has any information, please lay is down!

It's a great player and has a nice sound, I added bone pins and new strings and just love it.

post-75243-086271400 1454538775_thumb.png

I've got a limit on what I'll spend on a guitar, but I saw one of these at a local guitar show and was very impressed with its appearance and the sound. Don't know if it sounded better than my own rosewood AJ (hard to tell when they're not side-by-side), but it did sound good. If I could play as well as Scruggs I'd likely up my limit and get one. I hope you enjoy yours for many years, my friend. Get us some sound and video clips when you can. Love to see and hear it. [thumbup] [thumbup]

Mine is serial No. 10900001, was trying to figure out if it was guitar No. 1 of this series but so far no luck. Gibson has said they don't have the records? SO if anyone has any information, please lay is down!

Drumsticks:

This is from Guitar Dater Project

Your guitar was made at the

Bozeman Plant , MT, USA

March 31st, 2010

Production Number: 1 (Meaning it was the first guitar completed on that day.) While it was the first guitar of any style finished on 3/31/2010, Gibson is probably telling you they don't have records as to what day the first Randy Scruggs AJ was produced.

Serial Number Breakdown

1 090 0 001

Year (first and fifth digits) Hence, 2010.

Month (second thru fourth digits)

These 3 digits represent the actual day in the year, ranging from 1-365, from this the month and day can be calculated.

Production Number (the last three digits)

The numbers 001-499 show Kalamazoo production, 500-999 show Nashville production. The Kalamazoo numbers were discontinued in 1984.

When acoustic production began at the plant built in Bozeman, Montana (in 1989), the series' numbers were reorganized. Bozeman instruments began using 001-299 designations and, in 1990, Nashville instruments began using 300-999 designations.

Drumsticks:

This is from Guitar Dater Project

Your guitar was made at the

Bozeman Plant , MT, USA

March 31st, 2010

Production Number: 1 (Meaning it was the first guitar completed on that day.) While it was the first guitar of any style finished on 3/31/2010, Gibson is probably telling you they don't have records as to what day the first Randy Scruggs AJ was produced.

Serial Number Breakdown

1 090 0 001

Year (first and fifth digits) Hence, 2010.

Month (second thru fourth digits)

These 3 digits represent the actual day in the year, ranging from 1-365, from this the month and day can be calculated.

Production Number (the last three digits)

The numbers 001-499 show Kalamazoo production, 500-999 show Nashville production. The Kalamazoo numbers were discontinued in 1984.

When acoustic production began at the plant built in Bozeman, Montana (in 1989), the series' numbers were reorganized. Bozeman instruments began using 001-299 designations and, in 1990, Nashville instruments began using 300-999 designations.

Excellent information, thank you so much for the reply.

I've got a limit on what I'll spend on a guitar, but I saw one of these at a local guitar show and was very impressed with its appearance and the sound. Don't know if it sounded better than my own rosewood AJ (hard to tell when they're not side-by-side), but it did sound good. If I could play as well as Scruggs I'd likely up my limit and get one. I hope you enjoy yours for many years, my friend. Get us some sound and video clips when you can. Love to see and hear it. [thumbup] [thumbup]

Thank you for the reply, I'll work on getting some video or sound clip of someone a lot better than me so you can really hear it. Probably sounds exactly the same as your Rosewood AJ I would imagine, however to my ear it has a very soft, mellow but full tone. Now keep in mind that I am mainly a drummer, so my "compass-o-tone" may not be too accurate.

Thanks again for the post!

Archived