Gibson Brands Forums

1960's archtop identification

duane v

Where in god's green earth did this guitar come from (other than gods green earth)???

I've received sketchy info from my Luthier it might be German made, but he did tell me those are not the original tuning keys because of the original tuning key etch-mark on the back of the headstock, but we can't find any info on this guitar anywhere... But IMO it's a beauty.

[

thanx for whatever info you can come up with

16 3/8" wide, 25.5" scale, 3 ply binding on top and back, sunburst finish, single bound fingerboard, bound peghead, gold plated parts. Note: only interested in cutaway (Regent) version. The Hollywood is the Tenor version of the Truimph, and was available from 1934 to 1956 (renamed Truimph Tenor in 1937).

1931 Triumph introduction specs:

Walnut back and sides.

Paired diamond fingerboard inlays.

Masterbilt peghead.

Tenor version available called the Royal (discontinued 1935).

1934 Triumph specs:

Maple back and sides.

Notched diamond fingerboard inlays.

Floral ornament with fleur-de-lis design at top inlaid on peghead.

Block letter logo.

Script logo in 1935.

1937 Triumph specs:

17 3/8" wide non-cutaway body.

Script logo.

Pickguard extends below bridge.

Standard F-holes.

Single bound peghead and back.

1939 Triumph specs:

Frequensator tailpiece.

1941 Triumph specs:

Natural finish available.

Center dip peghead.

1949 Triumph specs:

Cutaway version (Regent) available.

Fat column peghead inlay.

"E" on pickguard.

1958 Triumph specs:

Gibson made.

Non-cut model discontinued.

Triumph Discontinued 1970.

16 3/8" wide' date=' 25.5" scale, 3 ply binding on top and back, sunburst finish, single bound fingerboard, bound peghead, gold plated parts. Note: only interested in cutaway (Regent) version. The Hollywood is the Tenor version of the Truimph, and was available from 1934 to 1956 (renamed Truimph Tenor in 1937).

1931 Triumph introduction specs:

Walnut back and sides.

Paired diamond fingerboard inlays.

Masterbilt peghead.

Tenor version available called the Royal (discontinued 1935).

1934 Triumph specs:

Maple back and sides.

Notched diamond fingerboard inlays.

Floral ornament with fleur-de-lis design at top inlaid on peghead.

Block letter logo.

Script logo in 1935.

1937 Triumph specs:

17 3/8" wide non-cutaway body.

Script logo.

Pickguard extends below bridge.

Standard F-holes.

Single bound peghead and back.

1939 Triumph specs:

Frequensator tailpiece.

1941 Triumph specs:

Natural finish available.

Center dip peghead.

1949 Triumph specs:

Cutaway version (Regent) available.

Fat column peghead inlay.

"E" on pickguard.

1958 Triumph specs:

Gibson made.

Non-cut model discontinued.

Triumph Discontinued 1970.

[/quote']

Great info, but I don't think the above covers Triumph branded acoustic guitars.

Just recieved some prelim info about this guitar.... This is 1 of 3 prototype archtops made by Hopf for a Dutch Guitar company called Egmond, and was supposed to be ran through Rosetti distribution. There were possibly more final 1st article production Triumphs produced that had pick guards, and a more presentable headstock inlays, but there are no known records or images of these guitars.

How true the above info is, well I'm still at a loss because of the lack of published info on my guitar.... so hopefully something will pop up

• 1 month later...

update*

Well I just got back from my Luthier, and basically he's installing a stew-mac double adjustable truss rod due to the the neck being bowed pretty bad. I guess most 1950 archtops weren't fitted with truss rods. He is also installing new fret-markers, and installing new frets.

The secret pickup is re-built, and once the neck work work is done, a new in-put jack and new wiring will be performed.

He did recommend staying with the original metal tailpiece, because wood takes the twang out of the sound. He also told me by adding a truss rod it will make the guitar heavier, and will actually give it a darker tone.

He's also installing Vintage style scalloped knobs Grover 18:1 Sta-Tite gold plated tuners, because the previous owner installed the others backwards

After it's all said and done, it will cost me $700 to fix the guitar, and make it play better than new.

The above is just a little food for thought, if anyone is in the market for an old vintage guitar.... be prepared.

Archived