Gibson Brands Forums

Another LP battle?

SRV-Zeppelin

Hey guys, I think we could use another fight in this forum.... :)

How about a battle between two Standards? no reissues, no custom shops, just plain old LP Standards. I'd be up for the challenge, even though I'd likely get owned... (I know for fact that ChanMan's desert burst Paul would kick mine repeatedly.)

Anyone game?

OK boys and girls, you want to talk Standards, I'm game. But I think there should be some kind of scoring system. The "he said, she said, mine's prettier than yours" does not work for me. It's kind of like "American Idol", it becomes nothing more that a popularity contest. I think in all these guitar wars there should be some kind of points system, a hard scientific (or mathematical) way to determine a "real" winner.

I think the real "greatness" of any guitar is determined by many factors, appearance, playability, tone, age, price paid, etc. Each category could be rated by a points system, with things like price paid and age also figuring into the equation. The "mine's prettier than yours" polls are really lame. If you guys would like to develop an objective rating method (as opposed to a subjective method), I'll start a separate thread to take suggestions on how to scientifically and mathematically develop a real system to compare guitars. I'll be glad to take everyone's suggestions and develop the mathematical formula for the approval of the members. With the wide expanse of members we have here, we might even invent a new method by which all guitars are rated by "industry standards" from now on.

Should I start this thread, or just shut up?

Anyway, here's my submission for the Standard shoot out. 1975 tobacco sunburst, bought it new for $500. When I bought this guitar there were no "R"s, we were just glad to be able to buy a sunburst LP with full size humbuckers.

2327165660_9e4b20a9f5_o.jpg

OK boys and girls' date=' you want to talk Standards, I'm game. But I think there should be some kind of scoring system. The "he said, she said, mine's prettier than yours" does not work for me. It's kind of like "American Idol", it becomes nothing more that a popularity contest. I think in all these guitar wars there should be some kind of points system, a hard scientific (or mathematical) way to determine a "real" winner.

I think the real "greatness" of any guitar is determined by many factors, appearance, playability, tone, age, price paid, etc. Each category could be rated by a points system, with things like price paid and age also figuring into the equation. The "mine's prettier than yours" polls are really lame. If you guys would like to develop an objective rating method (as opposed to a subjective method), I'll start a separate thread to take suggestions on how to scientifically and mathematically develop a real system to compare guitars. I'll be glad to take everyone's suggestions and develop the mathematical formula for the approval of the members. With the wide expanse of members we have here, we might even invent a new method by which all guitars are rated by "industry standards" from now on.

Should I start this thread, or just shut up?

[/quote']

I like the idea of some sort of formula or rating system. I will add, before you start another thread about ideas (if ya have not started it yet) that sound will be very hard to judge because the sounds you get depends on a lot of variables - amps, pedals, cables, recording equipment etc...

For the record, I really don't think my used and abused and sort of ugly LP standard stands a chance, but I'm still game for trying.

Archived