Gibson Brands Forums

Is Peavey About Done?

Murph

Stick a fork in em'?

When I was young, the XR600 was the king of the clubs. Then came Skynyrd and the Mace, the Deuce, ect. Then the newer Classic 50, Classic 30, hell they even made a Classic 100 with 8 (count em') EL84's.

Eddie Van Halen was gonna push them into Marshall/Mesa stuff......

Now, everything I see, including a mixer the other night, says "MADE IN CHINA". Including the Valvestate amps.

And they sound kinda crappy too.

I mean, Peavey was never known as top notch stuff, but it was American made and tough as nails. Now it's neither.

I know I don't even look at them anymore for anything. (no offense to you who do, I still have some old SP 2's, built in Mississippi).

Do they still sell stuff? I never see it in the clubs anymore.

Murph.

Man, back in the day Peavey had it's place: BUDGET GEAR. It actually had it's rung in the 'hierarchy' ladder of the equipment industry.

Now it seems all the major name brands all make affordable equipment...and quality issues aside (and despite the familiarity of past reputation), I think people are going for those more glamorous name brands which aren't directly associated with making 'cheap' gear.

I'm sure they'll always have a SMALL market in bigger equipment (PAs, etc)...but I can see them completely fading. Hell, one day they might do nothing but make cables and accessories.

Come to think of it' date=' I haven't seen any new Peavey stuff for quite a while. It was good quality stuff... not Marshall or Vox by any means, but as you mentioned, tough as nails. I don't even know if the company's still in existence, to be honest...

RIP, Peavey.[/quote']

valveking anyone? i dont like 'em, but they sell.

and i dont know if i would label (new) marshalls as being quality....

Have you seen those new hybrid amps and two color guitars? (yep, they come in two colors combined. Not one color or the other but both of them. Peavey headquarters must be a real knoledge and design powerhouse!)

They canceled some of the not so bad stuff to make room for those new designs... (designed for who may I ask), they cancelled the complete XL line... (the XXL was a very good solid state amp).

I was about to sell my Peavey Classic 30 when I realized they are now making a lot of stuff in China so I kept it, I paid $300 for it used in perfect condition and it came with a full set of new JJs and footswitch.

For a USA made amp, made tough and with very good features like an effects loop that actually works with stompboxes this thing is worth every penny.

The sound can be lacking for some applications but using a BBE Sonic Maximizer on the loop this thing kicks real good.

I am sure Peavey has not shifted all of their production to China though, just like every other company I bet they make some lines of products over there and some over here.

It feels like the majority have sold out and are getting gear made cheaply to maximise the margins and others follow so not to be left undercut in the market where people want the cheapest more so than the best....... Id rather buy a older amp with some chips in the tolex than a new amp of dubious quality and durability

valveking anyone? i dont like 'em' date=' but they sell.

and i dont know if i would label (new) marshalls as being quality....[/quote']

Yea Fenn, I know they are selling the Chinese Valvekings, but I don't see any Peavey gear in the clubs anymore. I mean, kids are buying them and stuff, but I don't even see the Classics, Delta Blues, ect. in bars. Not even P.A. gear anymore. It's like they fell off the face of the Earth.

Best to ya.

Murph.

I had excellent luck with a couple of Peavey's higher powered tube heads back in the day - the Butcher and VTM heads.

Decent sounding and very reliable... loud as hell though! Haven't owned any of their other stuff since the Classic 15 I had about 10 years ago - which was just okay.

I have seen a few Maces and Deuces in pawn shops lately for great prices. No better way to get that Lynyrd Skynyrd sound. Of course, you have turn 'em up loud! Solid state preamp section and a tube (6L6) power amp section.

Archived