Gibson Brands Forums

Help on J-45 selection

adolfo

Hello,

Need an opinion of which J-45 to own.

To my knowledge J-45 Standard are made with Mahogany.

To have a true sound of J-45 guitar which is better J-45 Custom made of Rosewood or J-45 True Vintage made of Mahogany.

Please share your opinion.

Hello,

Need an opinion of which J-45 to own.

To my knowledge J-45 Standard are made with Mahogany.

To have a true sound of J-45 guitar which is better J-45 Custom made of Rosewood or J-45 True Vintage made of Mahogany.

Please share your opinion.

I hope you live near a bigass music chain so you can play as many of these for comparison as possible. That's the sure fire way to get your money spent wisely. I'm in the vintage only camp. Good luck if you're shopping.

I've got one of each lol the custom being a mystic rosewood. I love the rosewood but I would go with a tv for the top has great sustain. I put an lr baggs in mine and it's great plugged in. Haven't had the rosewood plugged in yet

There's my opinion

I have had all three and currently have a Custom and a TV. Can't go wrong with any of them but I played the TV way more than the Custom. Current fave is the sparrow. That aidi top is real nice. But back to the 45s. The TV is brighter, louder and a bit richer to my ear than the other 45s. The base seems a little stronger too.

Lol Christo explain that? I just got my rw j45 has a red spruce top and it's incredible very close to the tv. Maybe someone likes a short scale rosewood what would you recommend then?

Good question.....I guess both will have to be had [biggrin] [biggrin] [biggrin]

Watcha do is start patiently tracking Ebay and linking up with vintage dealers you can drum up and find the best pre-1960 J45 you can afford, with all it's cracks, dings, and scuffs. Check to make sure the return policy is backed up and buy into the real history of a former great American guitar maker. Back before all the political correctness and crappy ecomomy, there were some great guitars made in Kalamazoo.

Watcha do is start patiently tracking Ebay and linking up with vintage dealers you can drum up and find the best pre-1960 J45 you can afford, with all it's cracks, dings, and scuffs. Check to make sure the return policy is backed up and buy into the real history of a former great American guitar maker. Back before all the political correctness and crappy ecomomy, there were some great guitars made in Kalamazoo.

Not sure how you tie pc and the economy into the quality of guitars being built in Bozeman [confused] In case you haven't noticed, most of the people who've bought new Gibsons here are extremely happy with them, myself included.

Hey,

I also went for the custom. I've had mine 4 months and she still puts a smile on my face.

As others(especially custom owners, lol.) have said try both, and go for the one which YOU like the sound of.

@ Classic 57, yeah, I've not read any bad reviews by people who have bought Bozeman guitars, but yet there's still that stigma, even on this forum :)

Not sure how you tie pc and the economy into the quality of guitars being built in Bozeman [confused] In case you haven't noticed, most of the people who've bought new Gibsons here are extremely happy with them, myself included.

That's why I used the word former, as in K'zoo. I guess I'm just detached from the corporations, in general.

Archived