Gibson Brands Forums

Shielded instrument cable

Bluemoon

Are you talking technically as in which is the best shielded cable or just quality overall?

Guitar Player magazine had a n issue recently where they tested a bunch of cables.

The best mix of affordability and quality went to George L's .225 cable or something...

I got a Fender Premium Gold cable as a gifty when I bought my Fender Champ 600 and the cable does produce a fuller sound than any other cable I have. (the first cable that came in was defective on one of the plugs so they sent me another, I replaced the plug on the defective cable and voila 2 free cables).

The thing is that cables is like everything else, you have to choose the one that sounds best to you.

Tough to test cables though, what do you do? bring your scissors to your local store and cut every cable package open and then go like: meh, don't like that one....

When I get home tonight I will look up that Guitar Player issue and post wht cables they chose as "the best"

I've been using George L's for a couple of years and, while they do retain high frequencies better than anything else I've tried, I find they don't hold up very well, especially the patch cables. While the Whirlwind cables I have aren't as bright as the George L's, they still sound good, hold up very well and cost less so I'm going to stick with them.

Are you talking technically as in which is the best shielded cable or just quality overall?

Not too concerned about sound at this point. Just looking for a cable with superior shielding to reduce some RFI interference in my home (long story).

Not too concerned about sound at this point. Just looking for a cable with superior shielding to reduce some RFI interference in my home (long story).

Any shielded cable is better than non-shielded. But as long as you're at it you should go ahead and buy one that has a better sound.

My suggestion is to go to guitar player magazine's web site and do a search on the guitar cable roundup they had. I'm pretty sure I still have that issue laying around so if you cannot find it on-line let me know and perhaps I can scan it and email it to you.

I think they said the overall best cable was DiMarzio's Steve Vai signiture cable - 20 foot cable for over $100! Way to expensive for my wallet.

I have a similar problem, I live near to a street light on a corner, and have above ground wiring on 3 sides of my house, and lots of old air conditioners on the street. I have problems when using one pedal only, and I found that the problem was the pedal was not shielded correctly.

Since you didn't have success with a power conditioner you won't have much success with cables either. This is a common problem for lots of people, some just don't know it's a problem. Planet waves cables are decent, I've been using them for about 2 years now, and the shielding on them is great.

Have you checked all of your transformers / tubes, and switched all pedals to batteries yet?

Archived