Gibson Brands Forums

Gibson Les Paul Axcess pros and cons

nitro

I've been on the fence with the Axcess for a couple of years now. Almost pulled the trigger on the Custom version (split diamond headstock inlay) a while back, then backed off - the price was a bit steep. There's a used Axcess Standard at GC for $2400.

I love trems. Got a Maestro, a Strat trem, and a Floyd. I had a Gibson with a Bigsby (sold it). Some people find the Floyd troublesome for tuning and stringing. I've got no problem with it. It generally comes down to that - whether or not you have the patience for it.

I've played a few. Both the Standard and Custom are great guitars.

Let us know what you decide.

• 2 months later...

I've been on the fence with the Axcess for a couple of years now. Almost pulled the trigger on the Custom version (split diamond headstock inlay) a while back, then backed off - the price was a bit steep. There's a used Axcess Standard at GC for $2400.

I love trems. Got a Maestro, a Strat trem, and a Floyd. I had a Gibson with a Bigsby (sold it). Some people find the Floyd troublesome for tuning and stringing. I've got no problem with it. It generally comes down to that - whether or not you have the patience for it.

I've played a few. Both the Standard and Custom are great guitars.

Let us know what you decide.

When you say split diamond inlay are you referring to on like this because this is the first time I've ever seen one besides on the ten thousand dollar Neal Schon issue.

The axcess is a guitar that I keep arguing with myself about. I think it is awesome and I would like to have one. Thing that stops me is that I am a little intimidated by the Floyd Rose, never having owned one it seems like a bit more work in maintenance and tuning. Also I have been told that alternate tunings are tricky. Still, it is a guitar that I really lust after. If $$$ were not an object I would have one. Unfortunately it is so I am getting a more Traditional style Les Paul.

When you say split diamond inlay are you referring to on like this because this is the first time I've ever seen one besides on the ten thousand dollar Neal Schon issue.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-2012-LIMITED-GIBSON-LES-PAUL-CUSTOM-IGUANABURST-AXCESS-GUITAR-w-Floyd-Rose-/120985871375?pt=Guitar&hash=item1c2b51e40f

The split diamond inlay I was talking about is on the headstock and is usually reserved for Gibson Custom guitars. However, in the last couple years Gibson has used it on the Custom Classic which is a Gibson USA product.

That Limited Edition Iguanaburst is cool - haven't seen Gibson use those split diamond fretboard markers on a Custom Axcess before.

$T2eC16dHJF0E9nmFS0Q9BQVRhwUfRw~~60_58.JPG

The Custom Axcess LPs I've seen have block fretboard inlays -

gbhb389c-xl.jpg

Here's an Axcess Standard with trapezoid fretboard markers and the "Les Paul" script headstock -

704dbb36-3aee-4b8a-970b-02eea0c942ce.jpg

The axcess is a guitar that I keep arguing with myself about. I think it is awesome and I would like to have one. Thing that stops me is that I am a little intimidated by the Floyd Rose . . . .

Did you know you can get the Axcess with a stop? . . With push-pull tone knobs for series/parallel coil splitting, like here -

b617067a-36c9-4662-8402-edec886bac3d.jpg

Still has the same belly scarf and the heel scarf as the Floyd version -

44949af1-4dbd-4a39-85ff-6c2812334b9a.jpg

Pros

No Nut Problems What so ever

Playability Improved Big time

Tones Better with a Metal Nut

String Height Adjustable at the Nut

Improved Intonation Adjustment Longer Travel

Dont care what anyone says no loss of Bottom End and as a matter of Fact can be Improved with an easy upgrade to a soild Brass or Titanuim Block and can be blocked tied to the body

D-Tuna Capability

Trem adds a world of tricky **** that a hard tail just dosent have

Steel on the Trem much better than the Pot Metal used on the bridge tail piece on a Hard Tail

Con

High Price

Mahogany Neck/ Should of been Maple. Much Stronger and brighter less flex

Ya look bad if u got 1 and dont really use it

• 3 years later...

The axcess is a guitar that I keep arguing with myself about. I think it is awesome and I would like to have one. Thing that stops me is that I am a little intimidated by the Floyd Rose, never having owned one it seems like a bit more work in maintenance and tuning. Also I have been told that alternate tunings are tricky. Still, it is a guitar that I really lust after. If $$$ were not an object I would have one. Unfortunately it is so I am getting a more Traditional style Les Paul.

Floyd Rose bridges: I've had 3 guitars equipped with these. I found new creative ways to use them and got used to their odd ways (mostly). String changes take longer and have to be one at a time.

Alternate tunings? Any change to the overall string tension will affect your setup. If you want to use an alternative tunings often you might be better off using it on a separate guitar that is set up for that tuning. The alternative is labourious and not something easily done on the fly. If its a small adjustment you could get away with it, but still have to unlock the neck screws and retention them every time.

If you want one that bad, go for it.

Personally, I eventually disabled the Floyd Rose systems as I found they just restricted my technique too much.

Archived