Gibson Brands Forums

Guitar Work Stand

CoreyT

I like the concept of that stand but it does scare me to death. I can see not have the thing latch into position and flip the guitar on the floor when it goes back to the storage position.

Also can see getting seriously working on a guitar and tipping the thing over by putting too much pressure in the wrong place on the guitar like you might do when cleaning a spot .

That's pretty neat! Man...I could blow a mint at stew-mac on all the cool stuff they have there. [biggrin]

I tried one of those, anything other than a restring, (like deep cleaning, or trying to get the grunge from the fret edges, it just tends to moved around too much, and you gotta at least put a towel on the work surface which does help stabilize it a little. the work pad with the neck rest is about as stable as it needs to be. I think mine was either from planet waves or D'Addario I've had it for years, it's held up pretty well, I think it was 20 bucks.

Oddly enough, most Luthiers I've seen in action just use some sort of work surface pad, (like a towel or rubber mat) and a bean bag. go figure!

• 2 weeks later...

Just got back from the store where I found a 4'x20" folding table with a soft top.

All they has was the light color, would have preferred a black one like this site shows.

http://www.ibuyoutdoorfurniture.com/product/SUD0027/Sudden-Comfort-Folding-Handy-Table-N70-Handy.html

I used the Fender mat that comes with its neck rest, then I tried the Stew Mac wooden rest.

The wooden one could be used with the Fender mat by taking off its plastic one, but to be honest I think just the Fender setup with its neck rest is easier.

Also tried the Stew Mac wooden one with no mat on the table, but I am not sure if the table top material is safe for the Gibsons Nitro finish or not.

Either way works though, and the table is a good height to use my Gibson stool to sit at when it comes time to change the strings.

Table folds flat and stores in the closet when done with it.

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

5.jpg

Table folds flat and stores in the closet when done with it.

Didn't want to take up a lot of space reposting all your pics, etc, but wanted to say I have basically the same setup for the past couple of years. Works like a charm. Table goes in the closet when not needed, although with a lot of guitars, it now pretty much stays out all the time since something always seems to need working on [lol]

That rack in the OP would scare the bejeezus out of me! :o

Thanks Blues.

T Bone, I have that Planet Waves neckrest too.

Bought it off of Amazon a month back.

Side of package said it was not safe for Nitro finishes, but it did not state that in the description on Amazons site.

Yes, the Fender mat is nice, but way overpriced for what you get.

Stew Mac has one without Fender on it, but it too is the same price.

Thanks Blues.

T Bone, I have that Planet Waves neckrest too.

Bought it off of Amazon a month back.

Side of package said it was not safe for Nitro finishes, but it did not state that in the description on Amazons site.

Yes, the Fender mat is nice, but way overpriced for what you get.

Stew Mac has one without Fender on it, but it too is the same price.

Well I never even read the packaging, so didn't notice it was not safe for Nitro. It's going in the garbage (some of my Fenders and of course all of my Gibsons are Nitro finished). Thanks, from both me and my guitars!

Well I never even read the packaging, so didn't notice it was not safe for Nitro. It's going in the garbage (some of my Fenders and of course all of my Gibsons are Nitro finished). Thanks, from both me and my guitars!

You are welcome.

You can always use a rag with it though.

On their site it says it will not damage finishes, but that is not what it said on my package.

Def said not safe for a nitro finish.

http://www.planetwaves.com/pwProductDetail.Page?ActiveID=4115&productid=548&productname=Headstand

Archived