Gibson Brands Forums

Marshall Class 5 First Impressions

FennRx

So I finally spent a few hours with my new C5 head over the last day or so and here's what I've found:

1) It is loud. I was really surprised how loud this little thing gets, even with the volume at 5.

2) There is not a lot of headroom. I was also surprised at how much gain the C5 puts out. Even with volume on 2, the amp starts to break up. With the volume above 5, it gets pretty raunchy.

3) The C5 has a lot of low end. Now I admit I am using GT75s, which are scooped. But even with the bass on 1, the neck pickup on my R9 gets really boom-y.

4) There's too much top end at high volumes. Again, I am looking at the speakers as the main culprit. But since I only have 1 cabinet, I can't say for certain.

5) There's a great tone in there, I just have to find it. Maybe I'm just doing it wrong, but I have not found the C5 to be plug and play. I have really been messing with the amp controls and the guitar pots to dial it in. I admit I get frustrated and turn it off, but when I come back to same settings I can hear that I've gotten closer, which is satisfying.

6) My Explorer sounds better than my R9. I attribute this to the more mellow Sheptone Tributes vs the Throbak SLE-101 MXVs in the R9.

Early conclusion:

1) The C5 is really too loud for bedroom use. Luckily I have a basement.

2) I need to try different speakers. I am seriously considering an Avatar 2x12 with a V30 and a Greenback. I might swap tubes at some point, but I could use another speaker cab for the C5 and other amps I have.

3) I am also flirting with the idea of getting an EQ pedal

4) Lower output pickups work better with the C5 (for me).

5) $250 well spent for a bluesy/rock amp. I just need to be patient.

2012-07-11162359.jpg

Archived