Gibson Brands Forums

I.D./info help on my '70's Les Paul bass

Hexabuzz

Anyone ever see one like this?

LesPaul2.jpg

LesPaul1.jpg

I've owned this bass since the mid 80's, and the story I got when I bought it was that it was built by a Gibson factory employee as a personal, custom instrument, but I've got no evidence to support that.

There's obviously a Triumph pedigree here, but clearly with some MAJOR differences...

Fretless...

Electronics are different - Seems like a similar control layout, but different hardware, and nothing marked, and I have no idea what those pickups are.

Bridge is a BadAss.

All of these mods appear to be part of the original build, since the pickups are mounted directly into the body, and there's been no additional routing or body mod. Same thing for the bridge. I've had it off, and there's been no evidence of anything else ever having been attached.

Was the 3 piece neck standard?

No serial number, or at least none that I can make out - see pics, as there appears to be some type of stamping under the finish.\.

It's in nearly mint condition, including the ebony fretboard. It's got the same tapewounds still on it from when I bought it, so it looks like it's had an easy life. I also have the original Gibson case, which is slightly worn, with one metal "foot" missing, and one side of the plastic carry handle worn through and no longer attached.

I'd greatly appreciate it if anyone had any info to add.

Thanks!

David

IMG_0861.jpg

IMG_0856.jpg

IMG_0852.jpg

IMG_0851.jpg

IMG_0850.jpg

IMG_0849.jpg

IMG_0848.jpg

IMG_0847.jpg

very cool! [love]

yes, the necks were 3 piece, just like yours. the binding on the body is correct, the tone plate is there, and the headstock has all the right details. it certainly looks like it came out of the Gibson factory! is it a short scale?

my 72 Triumph for comparison

IMG_5418.jpg

the pickups look like DiMarzio Model Gs.

very cool! [love]

yes, the necks were 3 piece, just like yours. the binding on the body is correct, the tone plate is there, and the headstock has all the right details. it certainly looks like it came out of the Gibson factory! is it a short scale?

my 72 Triumph for comparison

the pickups look like DiMarzio Model Gs.

Thanks for the info!

Yes, it's a short scale.

I wish I could get the true history of her, if it was really a one-off for an employee, a custom build, or some sort of prototype...

Thanks again!

David

With no neck volute, it might be an early one. My '72 doesn't have a volute, but it does have the "MADE IN USA" stamp. If yours was made by an employee, anything could be possible!!

It looks like some mods have been done. The control cover and knobs are not consistent with what Gibson would have used. The pick-ups appear to be non-original and there is a good possibility the original fingerboard (which would have had block inlay) may have been changed to the fretless board that is currently on the instrument. Looks like a great player customized instrument. I'll bet she plays and sounds sweet.

• 1 year later...

Pretty nice bass! Good luck in selling it.

The pickups are either DiMarzio Model G or Schaller Bass Humbuckers (which were a direct clone of the Dimarzio's - they did the same with their P pickups).

I have one of each in my LPB-3. Some years ago I found chrome covers and picked up a pair.

lpb3whbsa.jpg

Archived