Gibson Brands Forums

Latest version of Pro Tools

BobB

Pro Tools has been an industry standard for a while. I have been thinking about trying it out and thought I would check with the Recording Room gang to get some feedback. How do you rate the latest version? Thanks.

• 2 weeks later...

Pro Tools has been an industry standard for a while. I have been thinking about trying it out and thought I would check with the Recording Room gang to get some feedback. How do you rate the latest version? Thanks.

I'm using the latest version (10x) and it works fine. I wouldn't purchase the hardware based versions right now. Just buy the software only version if you want to try it out. Good luck!

Thanks Dave. I have been considering getting into 5.1 surround recording and have seen Pro Tools mentioned in some of the material I have been studying. I appreciate your response.

I have been using Pro Tools for many years as I use it in my work. My first home version was 7.0. First off, I would not waste my time on Pro Tools if you have no recording experience or, if you don't have some basic knowledge of computer based recording. As with everything software, there is a learning curve and with Pro Tools, the learning curve can be quite tedious. So much can go wrong at any time. Just go to any of the "Pro Tools" forums for insight.

That said, there are some computer based recording packages out now that are better for easy entry into the world of Computer based recording (DAW or Digital Audio Workstation). M-Audio has some nice entry level interface/software packages that won't break the bank and are easier to set up and use right out of the box. Lexicon has an interface/software package that is very solid as well as inexpensive.

As for the question at hand, I absolutely love Pro Tools 10! I run it at the studio in HD but at home I have the basic set up on an iMac and on my new Macbook Pro. For me it is stable and fast especially on the Mac Book Pro with 8 gigs of RAM. Pro Tools 9 is also great. Being able to use any interface is a big addition although, I am currently using the MBOX Pro firewire which I love. I think the mic pre's in the MBOX Pro are great and as a direct box my guitars really sound great. I am thinking of picking up an Apogee Duet to use with my Mac Book Pro in a more mobil way. But the depth of what is available in Pro Tools 10 is mind boggling. The low latency monitoring is worth it's weight in gold.

If you are not experienced with DAW recording, you can still purchase a Pro Tools 10 system but be prepared to invest a lot of time and energy before you will yield anything productive. If you have the time to invest and are willing to study the manuals, be heavily involved in the forums and in general, really study, the rewards are extremely high/great...

• 5 months later...
  • 6 months later...

Archived