Gibson Brands Forums

Gibson P90 question

freddyfingers

Hi all! I am looking to get a set of Gibson P90's to put into a hollow body guitar that I am acquiring. There is a guy on CL by me selling a set for $90. I asked him for a model number, and he just says there is no number, they are "genuine Gibson P90's". They are used, and have about 1 foot of wire. So, theres no box they came in, My guess is they came out of a another gibson. My question is, are there different grades or levels of Gibson P90's? Are the ones in the 60's tribute the same as the ones in the 50th s anniversary, or are they different quality? ALso, is it true that gibson doenst make their own pickups?

Thanks!

1) Gibson makes their own pickups. They aren't having them made by another source (unless of corse, you consider the Epiphones and the pups they use in them).

2) Sinse Gibson started making the P-90 again in the late 80's/early 90's, (not sure of the exact date on that) they have only made one model of P-90. Even in the guitars they make where they refer to the pups as "P-90T and P-90R" for neck and bridge pup, they are actually the same pup.

3) if Gibson has made any changes to the P-90 sinse they started making them again, I am not aware of it. As far as I know, a P-90 made in 95 is the same pup as one made in 2005. If there has been a change in suppliers of parts (such as wire from another supplier) I don't know what it is. But the recipee, i.e. the specs such as magnet type and amount of turns of wire is the same.

4) I wouldn't know how to "authenticate" a genuine Gibson pup vs another one. The ones I have had my hands on that I know to be geniune are pretty generic looking and have no markings that I can recall.

5) Gibson P-90's are VERY good pups.

Thank you , that was very helpful. I was guessing that the ones in lower costing guitars, were not the same as the higher end models. But it is comforting to know they make a good product that they put in all. And yes, I agree, that nothing sounds like a P90!

• 3 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...

1) Gibson makes their own pickups. They aren't having them made by another source (unless of corse, you consider the Epiphones and the pups they use in them).

2) Sinse Gibson started making the P-90 again in the late 80's/early 90's, (not sure of the exact date on that) they have only made one model of P-90. Even in the guitars they make where they refer to the pups as "P-90T and P-90R" for neck and bridge pup, they are actually the same pup.

3) if Gibson has made any changes to the P-90 sinse they started making them again, I am not aware of it. As far as I know, a P-90 made in 95 is the same pup as one made in 2005. If there has been a change in suppliers of parts (such as wire from another supplier) I don't know what it is. But the recipee, i.e. the specs such as magnet type and amount of turns of wire is the same.

4) I wouldn't know how to "authenticate" a genuine Gibson pup vs another one. The ones I have had my hands on that I know to be geniune are pretty generic looking and have no markings that I can recall.

5) Gibson P-90's are VERY good pups.

So the would the pickup pole spacing be the same for neck or bridge on all late model P-90's ?

• 5 years later...

Archived