Gibson Brands Forums

2x12 cab

AJ B.

I recently got a 2x12 guitar cabinet. I think I'm regretting it because i feel like I'll eventually have to upgrade to a half stack, maybe even a full stack after that. I feel like it's pointless having something I'll eventually replace. Will a 2x12 cabinet suffice for any venue? Miked or not? What are the tonal differences between a 2x12 and a 4x12 cabinet?

• 2 weeks later...

I have had good luck using a 2 12" cabinet. They are easier to tote around and you can always add an additional 2 12" cabinet if you want. The key is the quality of the speakers that are loaded into the cabinet. Some speakers are more efficient than others. A 2 12" cabient can really bring a smaller combo amp to life. I had a vintage Vox Pathfinder that sounded incredible when I hooked up my 2 12" cabinet. Miking an amp for larger venues will make the size of the amp and speaker cabinet less of a factor in being heard. Tone has a lot to do with what your amp is feeding your speaker cabinet. If your amp is high end and your speaker cabinet is loaded with quality speakers, I expect you will like the tones you get. A couple great resources you might want to check out would be www.mojotone.com and www.tubesandmore.com. If you ever need to upgrade your speakers, they have some great high quality replacement speaker options available.

I have had good luck using a 2 12" cabinet. They are easier to tote around and you can always add an additional 2 12" cabinet if you want. The key is the quality of the speakers that are loaded into the cabinet. Some speakers are more efficient than others. A 2 12" cabient can really bring a smaller combo amp to life. I had a vintage Vox Pathfinder that sounded incredible when I hooked up my 2 12" cabinet. Miking an amp for larger venues will make the size of the amp and speaker cabinet less of a factor in being heard. Tone has a lot to do with what your amp is feeding your speaker cabinet. If your amp is high end and your speaker cabinet is loaded with quality speakers, I expect you will like the tones you get. A couple great resources you might want to check out would be www.mojotone.com and www.tubesandmore.com. If you ever need to upgrade your speakers, they have some great high quality replacement speaker options available.

Thank you very much for your input!

The 2x12 combo format is well established by various mfgs...Vox, Fender, Marshall, Laney et al

So a 2x12 cab will work in a similar way and as stated, if mic'd for a larger venue...cab size becomes less important

V

:-({|=

The 2x12 combo format is well established by various mfgs...Vox, Fender, Marshall, Laney et al

So a 2x12 cab will work in a similar way and as stated, if mic'd for a larger venue...cab size becomes less important

V

:-({|=

+1. You'd be surprised how many artists are playing arenas with low wattage 1x12 combos. It also keeps stage volume down.

I recently got a 2x12 guitar cabinet. I think I'm regretting it because i feel like I'll eventually have to upgrade to a half stack, maybe even a full stack after that.

It's kind of like the traditional bell curve. You start off with a 1x10 or 1x12 cheesy combo, then to a 2x12 tube driven tone machine, then add a 2x12 extension cabinet, then dump the combo and extension cabinet and buy a half stack. But a HALF stack could only be HALF as good as a FULL stack. Tote that around a few years and you'll be back to the half stack. Then you'll realize that the 2x12 open back combo amp sounds WAY better on stage, and the sound out the back keeps your drummer in time. But after another 10 years or so you'll get tired of lugging the 2x12 combo around, and will downsize to a 2x10. After that you'll find a 1x10 that perfectly suits your needs, and you can carry your guitar in one hand, the amp in the other, and a gig bag over the shoulder. You carry it all in ONE trip, and it all fits perfectly behind the seat of your Smart Car!

So take it from an old road warrior who peaked out in 1976 with a Sunn Coliseum Lead (440w RMS) through Four 2x15 Dual Showman cabs (or a Sunn Model T and two 4x12 cabs a little later), and now plays through either a 65w 2x10 combo, or a 30w 1x10 combo...... skip right to the end, find yourself a great little combo amp and let the soundman do his job! You'll save a lot of money and back strains.

It's kind of like the traditional bell curve. You start off with a 1x10 or 1x12 cheesy combo, then to a 2x12 tube driven tone machine, then add a 2x12 extension cabinet, then dump the combo and extension cabinet and buy a half stack. But a HALF stack could only be HALF as good as a FULL stack. Tote that around a few years and you'll be back to the half stack. Then you'll realize that the 2x12 open back combo amp sounds WAY better on stage, and the sound out the back keeps your drummer in time. But after another 10 years or so you'll get tired of lugging the 2x12 combo around, and will downsize to a 2x10. After that you'll find a 1x10 that perfectly suits your needs, and you can carry your guitar in one hand, the amp in the other, and a gig bag over the shoulder. You carry it all in ONE trip, and it all fits perfectly behind the seat of your Smart Car!

Nailed it right on the head!! Except you left out the wall of full stacks(a la Malmsteen) after the full stack [biggrin]

Nailed it right on the head!!

he DEFINITELY nailed it!!!

Lugging even a half stack around is just unnecessary in most situations, one of my main gigging rigs is a 2x12 Marshall Combo and a 2x12 extension cab.

It's perfect, easy to move, plenty of horse power, and if I don't need the extra coverage, I leave the 2x12 cab at home.

Lugging even a half stack around is just unnecessary in most situations, one of my main gigging rigs is a 2x12 Marshall Combo and a 2x12 extension cab.

It's perfect, easy to move, plenty of horse power, and if I don't need the extra coverage, I leave the 2x12 cab at home.

Indeed. I even know a handful of people that use a half stack with 2 of the speakers removed.

Archived