• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Gibson Basses vs. Fender Basses

#41 User is offline   Gaolee 

• Knuckle dragger
  • Group: All Access
  • LocationThe Great North Wet

Posted 03 September 2015 - 01:49 PM

My fretless started life as an Epiphone Thunderbird Pro IV. It shed frets and the preamp, and it works really well for me. It also confuses people who see it and know much of anything about bass guitars, so that's fun, too. It would be great if Gibson would build one at the factory, but I won't hold my breath.
Thump to live.
Live to thump.

#42 User is offline   gsgbass 

• Advanced Member

Posted 19 September 2015 - 09:57 AM

bink, on 22 August 2015 - 09:39 PM, said:

i just recently purchased a 2015 Thunderbird. Without doubt a fine almost incomparable bass; i can barely find words to describe it's beauty and how it feels in my hands and the sound, the sound!.
My first bass was a 63 Thunderbird II which i bought in 73 and had stolen in 77; since then i have had the pleasure of owning some very nice Fender basses and an Ovation magnum but none of
them comes near to my Thunderbird. Enjoy yours and i know you will never part with it, i won't....
bink

I like the changes Gibson did with the 2015 Thunderbird, over the 2014. Some day I may get another 2015 Thunderbird.

#43 User is offline   FZ Fan 

• Jumbo Go Away
  • LocationVirginia

Posted 19 September 2015 - 10:05 AM

I love my Fender Am. Std J. I put a Warmoth birdseye maple neck on it with black binding and black blocks and changed the pups to Rio Grandes. So it really is not a full Fender anymore, just the body.

#44 User is offline   gsgbass 

• Advanced Member

Posted 19 September 2015 - 10:20 AM

FZ Fan, on 19 September 2015 - 10:05 AM, said:

I love my Fender Am. Std J. I put a Warmoth birdseye maple neck on it with black binding and black blocks and changed the pups to Rio Grandes. So it really is not a full Fender anymore, just the body.

OH YEAH?,……… Cool! I'd really like to see that one. birdseye maple necks are fantastic looking. [thumbup]

#45 User is offline   gsgbass 

• Advanced Member

Posted 04 October 2015 - 10:26 AM

I replaced my Fender Jazzes with Gibson SG. I've come to like the playability of the SG's, and the tones through the amp setup.

#46 User is offline   gsgbass 

• Advanced Member

Posted 01 April 2016 - 05:34 PM

If Gibson would make a Fretless,..... Never mind, they're not even making basses in 2016.

#47 User is offline   Kelvinator 

• Advanced Member
  • Group: Members
  • LocationBeautiful Fairview, PA

Posted 02 April 2016 - 12:38 PM

gsgbass, on 01 April 2016 - 05:34 PM, said:

If Gibson would make a Fretless,..... Never mind, they're not even making basses in 2016.

Nice fretless gsg Posted Image.

Man - I looked at the 2016 basses @ Gibson.com and saw only one bass for this year, the $3,500.00 Memphis!!!

It doesn't surprise me though; I've never seen a higher-end Gibson bass at a Gibson dealer music store; guitars yes, basses no. One would think that it would be a lot easier to sell a bass if someone could actually play it, look at it, and hear it. Duh! It's kinda like a car -if you've never seen or driven one, would you buy a new Corvette from a dealer who only had a Chevy Spark in stock? Posted Image

The only reason I have a few Gibsons is that I always wanted a Les Paul bass even though I'd never played or heard one. Years ago I took a chance and got a screaming deal on a LP Std on eBay. Once I got to play it (and fell in love), I bought another, and another... I've owned several Gibsons over the years, and don't play anything else. I'm sure glad I kept some!

#48 User is offline   gsgbass 

• Advanced Member

Posted 02 April 2016 - 04:42 PM

Kelvinator, on 02 April 2016 - 12:38 PM, said:

Nice fretless gsg Posted Image.

Man - I looked at the 2016 basses @ Gibson.com and saw only one bass for this year, the $3,500.00 Memphis!!!

It doesn't surprise me though; I've never seen a higher-end Gibson bass at a Gibson dealer music store; guitars yes, basses no. One would think that it would be a lot easier to sell a bass if someone could actually play it, look at it, and hear it. Duh! It's kinda like a car -if you've never seen or driven one, would you buy a new Corvette from a dealer who only had a Chevy Spark in stock? Posted Image

The only reason I have a few Gibsons is that I always wanted a Les Paul bass even though I'd never played or heard one. Years ago I took a chance and got a screaming deal on a LP Std on eBay. Once I got to play it (and fell in love), I bought another, and another... I've owned several Gibsons over the years, and don't play anything else. I'm sure glad I kept some!

I have no problems with owning Gibson Basses. But some over the years were not in the same quality of the 6 stringers. The $3,500.00 Memphis looks absolutely magnificent in the pics of them I've seen. My 2014 SG Spl. is pretty close to the quality of an SG Std. To my ears, it sounded better than the 2015 SG Std. I had at the same time I had the SG Spl. before selling it, so I went back for the 2014 SG Spl. I go way back to late 1969 with an EB0, so SG Basses aren't new to me. If this 2014 SG Spl. is my last Gibson Bass, then so be it. And they still keep turning out Fenders.

#49 User is offline   Gaolee 

• Knuckle dragger
  • LocationThe Great North Wet

Posted 28 April 2016 - 10:14 AM

gsgbass, on 19 September 2015 - 09:57 AM, said:

I like the changes Gibson did with the 2015 Thunderbird, over the 2014. Some day I may get another 2015 Thunderbird.

I have one and plan to keep it. The current flock includes the fretless, a bolt-on Epiphone that's being converted into the thump monster, a 1991 with vintage wound pickups, ashtrays, and the rest of the chrome to make it look more or less vintage, a 2001, and a 2015. It's hard to say which one I like best because they are all so different. Right now, it's a toss-up between the 1991 Gibson and the 2001 Gibson. That's subject to change, though.
Thump to live.
Live to thump.

#50 User is offline   Kelvinator 

• Advanced Member
  • LocationBeautiful Fairview, PA

Posted 30 April 2016 - 06:49 AM

I've been thinning the herd over the past couple of years. I'm down to my '01 LP Std., '06 LP Double Cut, the "Swamp Rat" '72 EB3L, and a couple of 32" scale Aria Pro IIs from the early 80s. The EB3L and the LP Std. are my favorites; they play and sound great, but they're both very heavy! By the end of a 4 hour job my old shoulder is feeling it, but the sound is worth the pain. I'll never sell my remaining Gibsons. I still try other basses, but haven't played anything that even comes close to the EB3L or the LP. It's a wonderful thing to be totally satisfied with what you have, and that saves a lot of cash too!Posted Image

#51 User is offline   gsgbass 

• Advanced Member

Posted 03 May 2016 - 06:21 PM

I'm set with the three Fender Am. Std.'s. They just seem to be a better fit for me. One Precision, and the two Jazzes. The Fretless is kinda the Ace in the hole, of the three.

#52 User is offline   Guitar God 

• Advanced Member
  • LocationGray, TN

Posted 13 September 2016 - 05:28 PM

Gibson makes great basses. The Thunderbird bass and the old Grabber and Ripper basses are classics. Same with Fender. But, to me it's just hard to beat a Fender Jazz or Precision Bass.
My gear list:
2001 Gibson Les Paul Standard(heritage cherry sunburst)
1994 Gibson Les Paul Standard(black)
2000 Gibson Les Paul Standard(natural)
2001 Gibson Les Paul Studio(pewter)
2001 Gibson Les Paul Special
1982 Gibson Les Paul Custom
1997 Gibson SG Special
2002 Gibson Faded Cherry Flying V
1975 Gibson L6-S
2003 Epiphone SG
1999 Fender Standard M.I.M Stratocaster(purple/blue with a maple fretboard and upgraded with Klein 1955 Epic Series pickups, Fender locking tuners, and a tortoise shell pickguard and tremolo cover)
2002 Fender American Standard Stratocaster(Metallic Red with a rosewood fretboard)
2003 Fender M.I.M. double humbucker Stratocaster(green with a rosewood fretboard)
2004 Fender U.S.A 50th Anniversary Stratocaster(white with a maple fingerboard and upgraded with Lace Holy Grail pickups, Fender locking tuners and a crème pearl pickguard and back plate)
2004 Fender Mexican 50th Anniversary Stratocaster (gold with a maple fingerboard and upgraded with Lace Sensor Gold pickups)
2014 Fender American Standard 60th Anniversary Stratocaster(sunburst with a maple fingerboard)
2003 Fender Show Master
Fender U.S.A Highway One Telecaster(black with a maple fretboard)
2002 Paul Reed Smith Custom 24(Burgandy Mist Metallic)
2001 Paul Reed Smith McCarty Standard Mahogany(Vintage Orange)
2015 Paul Reed Smith S2 Custom 22
2015 Paul Reed Smith SE 30th Anniversary Custom 24(Amethyst)
2017 Paul Reed Smith SE Custom 24(Scarlet Red)
1986 Charvel Model 4(Cobalt Blue)
2003 Ibanez Iceman IC200(sunburst)
2017 Ibanez S 521(Ocean Fade Metallic)
1997 Yamaha Pacifica(natural)
2005 Silvertone Paul Stanley Sovereign
1999 Martin DXMAE acoustic/electric
2017 Takamine GF15CE
1990 Ovation Legend 1767 acoustic/electric
2014 Ibanez Artwood AW535CENT acoustic/electric
2003 Fender Highway One Jazz Bass
2014 Fender Standard M.I.M Jazz Bass(white with a rosewood fingerboard and upgraded with DiMarzio Model J pickups and a tortoise shell pickguard)
1989 Marshall JCM 800 2210 through an 8 ohm 1989 Marshall JCM 800 Lead 1960 Custom Shop cabinet
Marshall JCM 2000 full stack(JCM 900 A cab and standard 1960 B bottom cab)
Marshall JCM 900 4100 through a Hughes & Kettner Warp 7 cabinet
Marshall DSL40C combo(limited edition white)
1976 Sound City cabinet
Fender Twin Reverb
Fender Hot Rod DeVille
Fender Blues Junior
Vox AC15
Blackstar HT Stage 60
Peavey 6505 Piranha
Peavey Decade
Carvin R1000 full stack(bass amp)
Sabine RT-7000 rack mount tuner
BBE 482i Sonic Maximizer rack mount
Dunlop Original Crybaby wah
Dunlop Kirk Hammett wah
MXR Uni-Vibe
MXR Phase 90 Script
MXR EVH Flanger
MXR Carbon Copy
MXR Black Label Chorus
MXR Custom Badass '78 Distortion
MXR Smart Gate
Ibanez TS-9 Tube Screamer
DigiTech Hyper Phase
DigiTech Multi Chorus
DigiTech Hot Head Distortion
DigiTech Hot Rod Rock Distortion
DigiTech Screamin' Blues
DigiTech Tone Driver
DigiTech RP-300
Pigtronix Class A Boost
Seymour Duncan Palladium
Seymour Duncan Tweak Fuzz
BOSS CE-5 Chorus Ensemble
BOSS CS-3 Compression Sustainer
BOSS DS-1 Distortion
BOSS DN-2 Dyna Drive
BOSS BD-2 Blues Driver
BOSS SD-2 Super Overdrive
BOSS AC-2 Acoustic Simulator
BOSS RC-3 Loop Station
Ibanez AW7 Auto Wah
Electro-Harmonix B9 Organ Machine
DOD Boneshaker
Snark SN-14 Clip-On Tuner
Sabine pedal tuner
Pedaltrain PT-3 pedal board

#53 User is offline   gsgbass 

• Advanced Member

Posted 10 October 2016 - 08:46 PM

I just acquired a Fretless Jazz.

#54 User is offline   gsgbass 

• Advanced Member

Posted 07 February 2017 - 09:54 PM

I was holding out for a reissue of an EB-3L. Now I'm locked in on my three Fender Jazzes. Am. Std., USA Geddy Lee, and Spl. Edition White Opal.

#55 User is offline   old mark 

• Advanced Member
  • LocationBerks County PA,USA-The South Of The North.

Posted 22 March 2017 - 01:14 AM

Started playing on a Danelectro Longhorn bought used in 1963...Never got used to Fenders...but I did play a re-issue Telecaster Bass in the '70's...Now my "long scale" basses are 2 '86 Guild Pilots, (one fretless that I'm selling)... along with another Danelectro Longhorn, and my just-bought today 1966 EB 0...still enroute from Texas, and I'm really looking forward to it. It seems to be an earlier '66 before Gibson "improved" it...it's well used, beat up and dinged, much like me and all factory original, and it will have a good home, running through a 2016 Acoustic bass amp with TI jazz flats on it. Posted Image

Added...long ago, I had an Aria Pro- Cat bass...got it for almost nothing, cleaned and set it up, and recorded a radio ad using it...paid for itself! A good sounding cheap bass, seems like many here had one.

#56 User is offline   gsgbass 

• Advanced Member

Posted 10 November 2017 - 08:20 PM

I sold off the Fenders I had to get back to playing short scale SG Std. basses. The SG shaped body has always been my Achilles Heel for a great looking bass. And now with the amp setup I'm using, the SG Std. really sounds amazing.
Posted ImagePosted Image

#57 User is offline   gsgbass 

• Advanced Member

Posted 20 December 2017 - 09:26 PM

My SG Std. with the Ampeg Half Stack. I'm thinking I'm not doing anymore Fender Basses.

Posted Image

#58 User is offline   Farnsbarns 

• Antelope
  • LocationGodstone, Surrey, England

Posted 21 December 2017 - 05:48 AM

All basses clearly sound the same, and since the bassist strapped to is is only ever going to play the 1st and 5th notes I wouldn't have thought it mattered.

Fire extinguisher... Check
Flame retardant suit.... Check
Escape route clear.... Check

Yep, I'm actually going to post this. Ready to run.... On three, three....
I'm not drunk, you're blurry.

Farns

#59 User is offline   FZ Fan 

• Jumbo Go Away
  • LocationVirginia

Posted 21 December 2017 - 07:43 AM

A few years back I bought a Fender American Special Bass body and a Warmoth Fretless Neck and assembled the bass with Rio Grande pups and Fender hardware. I am really a guitarist, but without frets it was hard for me to play. Every note I played was sharp or flat.

#60 User is offline   FZ Fan 

• Jumbo Go Away
  • LocationVirginia

Posted 21 December 2017 - 07:45 AM

Farnsbarns, on 21 December 2017 - 05:48 AM, said:

All basses clearly sound the same, and since the bassist strapped to is is only ever going to play the 1st and 5th notes I wouldn't have thought it mattered.

Fire extinguisher... Check
Flame retardant suit.... Check
Escape route clear.... Check

Yep, I'm actually going to post this. Ready to run.... On three, three....

Ever heard Geddy or Entwistle or Jaco. Your just jacking our chain.

This post has been edited by FZ Fan: 21 December 2017 - 07:45 AM

Share this topic:

• (4 Pages)
  • +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

2 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users