Gibson Brands Forums

Gibson Basses vs. Fender Basses

AJ B.

My Brother is trying to decide between a Fender jazz bass and a gibson short scale thunderbird. I've never known gibson for basses and don't know the extent of their abilites. which would you say?

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

tough choice, the Jazz bass is long scale and you can't go wrong with a jazz bass, I have 4. The short scale Thunderbird has had good reviews

it's solid,well built and is a good rock and roll bass, a different beast than the Jazz bass.

he is going to have to play both and decide for himself which he likes better.

Fender invented the bass guitar back when...

The P and J are like the Tele and Strat...time tested work horses largely unchanged...

For the Gibson maybe...listening to some clips might clarify the choice

Otherwise trials are the way to go, preferably at stage volume...

V

:-({|=

Those are very different basses, so making a choice will come down to trying them out. The necks are similar in profile but the scale makes a big difference. You can't go wrong with either so choose the one you best like to play.

And, after a suitable amount of time, you then get the other one too.

Agreed with the others about trying both. The feel is different, and the tone is maybe a little more favorable to the Jazz with the 34" long scale set up. Leo Fender found the 34" had a bit of a better tone back when. It hasn't changed much since then. You can't go wrong with a Jazz. You don't find that many choices for short scale basses either. The market is some what setup for the long scale bass.

Try them both. I played Fender for years and have recently switched to Gibson thanks to my SG bass. The SG bass is short scale, but the sound is more bottom end than I expected. I also have a Les Paul Money Bass that is long scale. I like the pickups and feel on the Money bass more than did on my previous J bass. It's all a personal thing. It would be best if you could find a music store that had both to try and hear through the amp of your choice.

There is always the 'serendipity' approach to consider...

With so many superb basses around nowadays

Grab a hold of a Yamaha, Ibanez, Rickenbacker, Musicman, Alembic, Warwick etc

Just for fun... [thumbup]

[biggrin]

V

:-({|=

If this is his first Bass, I think he should be considering the Fender P-Bass as well. That "sound" that the P-Bass gets is one that everyone is familiar with. A "standard" sound, if you wish.

I think for anyone starting out, the one that makes you want to play and inspires you is the one to start with. If you like it you will play it. Going by what everyone says you SHOULD get and buying something that doesn't make you want to play often means that the player doesn't feel excited about playing and ends up not learning much.

One other consideration between the short, and the long scale bass is, availability of short scale strings. The string manufacturers don't put out any where near the choices for short scale, as they they do long scale strings.

• 2 weeks later...

I played a 1983 Ibanez Musician for over 20 years. I recently decided to treat myself to something nice. I played a ton of basses, lots of p's and j's as well. I couldnt get my hands on a Gibby T-bird any where to try. I finally found one to try in Toronto. I now own a Gibby Thunderbird. I love it. I will admit that Fender makes some killer basses, but they weren't the one for me.

• 5 weeks later...

My Brother is trying to decide between a Fender jazz bass and a gibson short scale thunderbird. I've never known gibson for basses and don't know the extent of their abilites. which would you say?

What happen in the decision process between two bass styles? :-k

• 3 months later...

two very different beasts entirely, full scale to small, humbuckers to single coils, no doubt different woods and electronics. . . two completely different sounds.

if it was me, i'd buy one and save up for the other :) personally, buying the Jazz first.

then you can always move up into the world of Gibson ;)

BSB

• 1 month later...

One thing I notice about short-scale basses, is the bridge location is usually further toward the middle of the body.

For picking or downstroking, this is a big advantage I think. Is this true?

Some time back, I tried a Gibson bass for the first time (SG type of some sort). It actually gave me a bit of GAS...this thing felt good and was fun to play, a lot more so than Fender basses.

I'd be interested in hearing some perspectives from 'real' bass players.

One thing I notice about short-scale basses, is the bridge location is usually further toward the middle of the body.

Some time back, I tried a Gibson bass for the first time (SG type of some sort). It actually gave me a bit of GAS...this thing felt good and was fun to play, a lot more so than Fender basses.

I honestly never paid any attention to the placement of the bridge. I have had some Gibson, Fender, and G&L in long scale.

Keep in mind that the difference in scale length (30" or 31" vs 34") means you can only take so much out of the neck length. It's a little bit shorter but you don't want to make it a mandolin. So, the rest is taken out of the bridge placement. It's not about an advantage, it's just the way it needs to be. It does make it easier to do muting if you use that technique.

I'm a Fender guy myself, raised on 'em. Playing short scales certainly is a whole lot of fun! It's like climbing into a sports car, especially after playing a Fender P with Vintage neck specs ( 1 3/4" nut). My only short scale at the moment is a LP Triumph, which I think is the bomb.

As much as I like playing it my favorite overall scale is 32". That suits me very well. I'm not giving up my Fenders, but I wouldn't mind having a few more of those.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

One other consideration between the short, and the long scale bass is, availability of short scale strings. The string manufacturers don't put out any where near the choices for short scale, as they they do long scale strings.

No problem using long scale string on a short scale bass. If using short dcale string on long scale bass then cannot. I using long scale string on my Gibson short scale bass with no problem.

No problem using long scale string on a short scale bass. If using short dcale string on long scale bass then cannot. I using long scale string on my Gibson short scale bass with no problem.

I have always used long scale strings on my SG and my old 32" Aria Pro II basses. No Problem.

• 4 months later...

Archived