Gibson Basses vs. Fender Basses

AJ B.

• 4 weeks later...
  • Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Started playing on a Danelectro Longhorn bought used in 1963...Never got used to Fenders...but I did play a re-issue Telecaster Bass in the '70's...Now my "long scale" basses are 2 '86 Guild Pilots, (one fretless that I'm selling)... along with another Danelectro Longhorn, and my just-bought today 1966 EB 0...still enroute from Texas, and I'm really looking forward to it. It seems to be an earlier '66 before Gibson "improved" it...it's well used, beat up and dinged, much like me and all factory original, and it will have a good home, running through a 2016 Acoustic bass amp with TI jazz flats on it. msp_thumbup.gif

Added...long ago, I had an Aria Pro- Cat bass...got it for almost nothing, cleaned and set it up, and recorded a radio ad using it...paid for itself! A good sounding cheap bass, seems like many here had one.

• 7 months later...

I sold off the Fenders I had to get back to playing short scale SG Std. basses. The SG shaped body has always been my Achilles Heel for a great looking bass. And now with the amp setup I'm using, the SG Std. really sounds amazing.

iP3SJHj.jpgWLkQtyX.jpg

• 1 month later...
Guest Farnsbarns

All basses clearly sound the same, and since the bassist strapped to is is only ever going to play the 1st and 5th notes I wouldn't have thought it mattered.

Fire extinguisher... Check

Flame retardant suit.... Check

Escape route clear.... Check

Yep, I'm actually going to post this. Ready to run.... On three, three....

All basses clearly sound the same, and since the bassist strapped to is is only ever going to play the 1st and 5th notes I wouldn't have thought it mattered.

Fire extinguisher... Check

Flame retardant suit.... Check

Escape route clear.... Check

Yep, I'm actually going to post this. Ready to run.... On three, three....

Hahahahaha! There's a guy I play music with regularly who is just amazing on bass. He's a Jack Bruce, Geddy Lee, John Entwistle, Geezer Butler kind of bass player. A bassist like him makes playing as the sole guitarist so much easier. And, he and the drummer have been playing together regularly for years as well. It's always a pleasure to play with them.

I don't know much about the different brands and models of basses but when I do play them, I like the long scale ones best.

• 3 weeks later...

The only downside to a Thunderbird bass is the size of the case.

It does help to have something fit and not always have to haul it with the PA gear

I suppose an SKB soft case could work

However I'm not sold on the protection of it

and will deal with the size of the case just to have the bass with me,

making that change is the only consideration.

It's one throaty babe that stays

Between a Fender Jazz and a Gibson bass, I generally prefer the Jazz bass. Their neck profile is very easy to play, so much so that I have seen several Precision bass guitars with Jazz necks. Longer scale length seems to help if you want to use alternate tunings, shorter scale basses have less tension on the strings and could feel too floppy if you intend to use lower pitched tunings.

I have a Steinberger from the 90's, outstanding bass guitar. The graphite neck is extremely stable and it doesn't sound like other basses. I know Gibson own Steinberger, but are they producing anything under that brand these days?

Archived