Gibson Brands Forums

Marshall dsl 401 combo + sg 50th anniversary 24

sellen

Started the other day on 3 AC-DC songs(R"n"R Damnation- Evil Walks- R"n"R Ain't Noise Pollution)

started reading tabs and played some of the riffs in today uesd the line out on the combo.Nothin' perfect, just having fun. Why bother post it? well i felt for doing it [biggrin] . Cool songs that aren't to hard to get a little bit into. The dsl 401 combo aren't the perfect ac-dc machine, but it's raw and mean [biggrin]

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BVv1jENdU_Q

Started the other day on 3 AC-DC songs(R"n"R Damnation- Evil Walks- R"n"R Ain't Noise Pollution)

started reading tabs and played some of the riffs in today uesd the line out on the combo.Nothin' perfect, just having fun. Why bother post it? well i felt for doing it [biggrin] . Cool songs that aren't to hard to get a little bit into. The dsl 401 combo aren't the perfect ac-dc machine, but it's raw and mean [biggrin]

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BVv1jENdU_Q

Are you using the Classic Gain channel with the button pushed in?

Sounds great! And people talk **** about the DSLs.....

Thanks guys [thumbup]

Kaleb The combo has 3 channels clean - od 1- od 2

I used the od 1

the dsl combo is a good amp, it's not awesome but for me it's a keeper.

I really loved the tone. The DSLs aren't bad in my opinion.

Very good amps with a good concept IMHO. But mod em' and they're better! Voodoo Amps makes nice mods for them.

Actually, just swap the tubes, add Mercury trannies and a choke (which Marshall stopped using on their flagship amps in 1990 when the 900s came out) and you've got a killer sounding head there!

Of course you'll need a great cab and great speakers. The Celestion 75 watters don't cut it for me. I prefer WGS speakers (usually Veteran 30s for me!).

I really loved the tone. The DSLs aren't bad in my opinion.

Very good amps with a good concept IMHO. But mod em' and they're better! Voodoo Amps makes nice mods for them.

Actually, just swap the tubes, add Mercury trannies and a choke (which Marshall stopped using on their flagship amps in 1990 when the 900s came out) and you've got a killer sounding head there!

Of course you'll need a great cab and great speakers. The Celestion 75 watters don't cut it for me. I prefer WGS speakers (usually Veteran 30s for me!).

Hey man thanks for the mod tips, gonna check 'em out. As i'm not English speaking(Norwegian) I don't understand what a Mercury trannies and a choke does in a amp, but i'm gonna Google it and see what it is.

Btw i have upgraded it a little bit with jj el 84 and jj ecc83, and i have a celestion v 30 speaker in it. Got a solid improvement with those mods

Hey man thanks for the mod tips, gonna check 'em out. As i'm not English speaking(Norwegian) I don't understand what a Mercury trannies and a choke does in a amp, but i'm gonna Google it and see what it is.

Btw i have upgraded it a little bit with jj el 84 and jj ecc83, and i have a celestion v 30 speaker in it. Got a solid improvement with those mods

Mercury Magnetics make amp transformers (trannies) and they can make any amp, especially dog Marshalls (I love Marshalls and the man that created them, but there are a lot of dogs out there....), 100% better. Steve Vai swears by them and Carvin puts them in the Legacy series amps now. I can't really describe what a choke is (too lazy to Google....), but I know that they're a part of the Marshall magic and Marshall hasn't used them in their flagship tube amps (which would be the 900s, 2000s, and the JVMs. The reissue amps and the Vintage Moderns don't apply here) since the early 90s (explains a lot...).

Good tubes do make a difference (I always use JJ tubes specifically from Eurotubes as they voice them in a way that no one else does), but transformers and the choke make a bigger difference IMHO. A lot of people don't understand that a big part of the sound of an amp comes from the transformers and the choke. Tubes color the tone, trannies make the tone.

And speakers are probably the biggest factor in the sound coming out of the amplifer.

Trust me, a DSL-100 with Mercury trannies and choke, as well as JJ tubes (from Eurotubes!) and a good 4x12 (I like the Avatar stuff) loaded with WGS Veteran 30s is a perfect amp setup for me.

Archived