Gibson Brands Forums

faulty string adapter from guitarsend.com

merlinscot

I bought a string adapter from guitarsend.com.for $40 US (I live in Scotland) It has 2 tiny pins which locate it precisely on the steel end plate. These pins were too far apart so it could not be used. The retailer, guitarsend.com didnt understand the problem, amd didnt know what I was describing. He asked me to contact the manufacturer who then denied the possibility of this even happening !!! The retailer refused to replace it. After about 9 emails between the 3 of us guitarsend.com offered to make a custom adapter for more money. Conclusion - avoid these guys. Ive now sent the adapter off to an honest customiser in Manchester who is very reasonable and as yet have not heard back if its possible to add another tiny pin. Would very much like to here from anyone who can say if just having one pin is enough to hold the adapter in place.Given that its bound to get small knocks now and again. Thanks Pete

… guitarsend.com didnt understand the problem, amd didnt know what I was describing. He asked me to contact the manufacturer who then denied the possibility of this even happening !!! The retailer refused to replace it.

Pete,

before posting "warnings" about manufacturers and dealers, how about some facts? What is the distance between the locating pins on your headpiece?

For reference: the original Steinberger adapter has a distance of 28 mm (± 0,1 mm, about 1.1 inch) between the locating pins, and these fit on older USA Steinbergers and Spirits. The adapter guitarsend sells is also available on ebay, and I know a lot of users who obviously don't have any problems with them. So I think a sliding caliper would be helpful… :)

Bernd

Archived