Gibson Brands Forums

SG 3-pickup info needed

doomhooker

I got this SG used a few years ago and would appreciate any info that people would like to share about this model. I read it was made exclusively for Guitar Center?

I can't post a photo so never mind for now. Thanks.

Do you have any more info for the guys to go on?

As far as I know, there are a few different kinds of SG's with 3 pickups. For example, some have 3 humbuckers, but around 2007 there were a few 3-pickup SGs with 3 sing coil "rail" types, like my 2007 SG Standard below, although I'm not sure I've ever seen any with 3 off P90s?

2007SGStdw3sc.jpg

Then it's probably the model below, but I'm not sure if that model was exclusively for Guitar center though.

Top of Form

Gibson SG3 Electric Guitar Ebony with Hardcase

GIBSON SG-3 ELECTRIC GUITAR WITH MAHOGANY NECK AND BODY, ROSEWOOD FINGERGOARD, THREE HUMBUCKERS EBONY

Loaded with three humbuckers, the Gibson SG3 electric guitar provides unrivaled playability with fat Gibson humbucker tones.

The Gibson SG-3 electric guitar enhances the power, sustain, and tonal range of the legendary Gibson SG into new sonic dimensions. Equipped with a 6-way pickup switch and three gold-plated Gibson humbuckers, a pair of '57 Classics in the neck and middle positions, and a '57 Classic Plus in the bridge position-the SG-3 is the ultimate fat humbucker electric. The Gibson SG sports a chicken-head knob, Gibson's exclusive rotary selector offers six pickup settings: bridge, bridge/middle, middle, middle/neck, neck, and bridge/neck. Combining unrivaled playability with an extraordinary range of sweet scorching humbucker tones, the Gibson SG-3 is the perfect guitar for rock, heavy metal, and blues guitarists.

The Les Paul guitar was redesigned in 1961 with a thinner body and two cutaway horns allowing better accesibility to the upper frets as well as lowering production costs. Though the new guitar was popular Les Paul did not like the new model and asked for his name to be removed. Gibson renamed the guitar the SG for Solid Guitar. The SG has since been played by world class guitarists like Eric Clapton, Tony Iommi, Angus Young and Pete Townsend.

GIBSON SG-3 ELECTRIC GUITAR FEATURES

BODY

Body: Mahogany.

NECK

Species: Mahogany.

Profile: SG.

Neck Joint Location: 19.

FINGERBOARD

Species: Rosewood.

Scale Length: 243/4".

Number of Frets: 22.

Nut Width: 1.695".

Inlays: Trapezoid.

Fingerboard Binding: Antique.

HARDWARE

Plating Finish: Gold.

Tailpiece: Stop Bar.

Bridge: Tune-O-Matic.

Knobs: Black Top Hat with gold inserts.

Tuners: Green Key.

ELECTRONICS

Neck Pickups: '57 Classic Gold humbuckers.

Middle Pickups: '57 Classic Gold humbuckers.

Bridge Pickups: '57 Classic Plus Gold humbuckers.

Controls: One volume, one tone, pickup select rotary switch with 6 position dial pointer:

1st position: neck pickup.

2nd: neck and middle.

3rd: middle.

4th: middle and bridge.

5th: bridge.

6th: bridge and neck.

OTHER

Strings: Brite Wires .010-.046.

CASE

Case Interior: Dark Grey Plush.

Case Exterior: Black Reptile Pattern Hardshell.

Case Silkscreen: Silver 'Gibson USA' logo.

FINISH: Ebony.

Bottom of Form

Archived