Gibson Brands Forums

Repaired SG headstock value

Cooperstowncook

Hey guys,

I just bought a Gibson SG Special Faded off of craigslist. It's one of the 2002 ones with the ebony fretboard and the moon inlays. I thought I was getting a good deal on it paying $300 plus the shipping costs. These guitars, with this fretboard, tend to sell for $500 or more in Massachusetts. I wouldn't normally buy a guitar off of craigslist without holding it in my own hands, but I took a chance and did it.

So, I open it up. No fret wear. No buckle rash. The thing looks like it's never been played. Except for the hairline repair of a cracked headstock! I was beside myself. So this Craigslist character has disappeared, of course, and I'm left telling myself "I told you so".

This is my forth SG, so it was a luxery buy. I would like to get my money back and sell it to someone that will appreciate it more than I do. But I want to be honest about it's condition and what it's worth.

So what do you guys think? Is it still worth $300? Any ball-park figures? I have zero experience with head-stock repaired guitars. Here's a picture of the repair.

Thanks guys!

sg.jpg

Hi, the repair looks pretty clean and I do agree that the price of 300 was fair, however what was NOT cool was not disclosing this to you before you bought, so that you are po'd is understandable. Maybe if you could have the cosmetics touched, keep it an play the beans out of it. Where in Mass you from? I'm in Central, a little town called Leominster.. I may be able to help with a contact that can do finish repairs (in Berlin Mass)

Good luck with your decision..

This is good news. Like I said earlier, if I could get my money back and make someone else happy with the guitar then it would be ideal. I have an exact copy of this guitar already. A '02 Special Faded with the ebony fretboard and moon linays. So, there's really no need to keep this one. I just liked the deal at the time so I jumped on it. I've been known to be impulsive at times. My buddy is trying to talk me into keeping this one over the other one, because the rest of the guitar is in great shape. But, I think selling the one with the repair is the way to go.

Kidblast, I'm actually in Central MA too. about 25 minutes west on Rt. 2. I know Leominster well, my band is actually playing there on Friday.

As has been mentioned, neck/headstock repairs knock the value down about 50% depending on the quality of the repair, and yours looks good.

You paid a fair price. If it was me, and I liked the way it played and sounded, I'd hang on to it. It's always good to have a guitar in your stable you feel comfortable taking into places and conditions that are more prone to cause damage.

This falls right into the category of "if it sounds too good to be true, it probably is"....

The seller may not have disclosed the repair, but you were kidding yourself if you thought you were getting a showroom quality instrument for half price. As has been said above, any MAJOR repair or modification will devalue most any guitar 50%. You say they go for $500+ in your area, so I would say $300 is just within the acceptable "fair" price range.

As for the repair, I've seen MANY broken and/or repaired Gibson headstocks. This is one of the cleanest breaks, and nicest repairs I've ever seen. The glue holding the repair together is stronger than the wood itself. This headstock will not snap in the same place, even if dropped from a rooftop. As for refinishing the neck to try to hide the repair, an expert/professional can ALWAYS detect a refin/repair, and in my opinion you would only be devaluing the guitar even further.

If the guitar plays good and sounds good, I would say you have a nice $300 faded SG. Short of further abuse or accidental damage, you should have no problems with the repaired headstock. If I were to resell this guitar, $250-300 with full disclosure would allow me to sleep at night.

This falls right into the category of "if it sounds too good to be true, it probably is"....

The seller may not have disclosed the repair, but you were kidding yourself if you thought you were getting a showroom quality instrument for half price. As has been said above, any MAJOR repair or modification will devalue most any guitar 50%. You say they go for $500+ in your area, so I would say $300 is just within the acceptable "fair" price range.

As for the repair, I've seen MANY broken and/or repaired Gibson headstocks. This is one of the cleanest breaks, and nicest repairs I've ever seen. The glue holding the repair together is stronger than the wood itself. This headstock will not snap in the same place, even if dropped from a rooftop. As for refinishing the neck to try to hide the repair, an expert/professional can ALWAYS detect a refin/repair, and in my opinion you would only be devaluing the guitar even further.

If the guitar plays good and sounds good, I would say you have a nice $300 faded SG. Short of further abuse or accidental damage, you should have no problems with the repaired headstock. If I were to resell this guitar, $250-300 with full disclosure would allow me to sleep at night.

Hey Larry,

I just wanted to clear a couple of things up with regard to your post. I was never expecting a show room quality guitar for half price. What I was expecting was a guitar which the seller claimed was "in good shape. Only normal wear and tear for a 10 year old guitar.", and that both parties agreed was worth $300. That's not what I got. I got a guitar with major damage that was repaired. Lesson learned. So, I'm trying to sell it for what it is. A guitar with a broken headstock. I'm not trying to cover up any repairs, and I'm not trying to mislead anyone. I just wish the previous owner took the same tactic. Thank you for your input though. Your knowledge on the topic is appreciated.

Kidblast, I'm actually in Central MA too. about 25 minutes west on Rt. 2. I know Leominster well, my band is actually playing there on Friday.

no kidding?!? sounds like your probably near the Gardner/Athol area. My originals band rehearses in Gardner. Small world man.

So where you playing? Wait -- let me guess,, Chopsticks? It was the only game in town for a while, but there are a few other places running bands now, like 40s and Classics

so anyway about your SG - if you decide to keep it, look up Mocking Bird Music (they are in Berlin Mass, right off South Street.) Glenn (shop owner and fix it man) is a good dude, I've had him do a few things for me. If you plan on keeping it, and want someone to inspect it, give him a ring, he's reasonable and can probably make it go away completely

PS: Really a shame the seller didn't warn you about that (twit). But that said, a proper headstock repair is an OK thing. One thing for sure, it will NEVER break there again if it's done right., it will be another part of the headstock (LOL!) but - ay it's a gibson, what'chya gonna do!??!

Good luck brutha.. let me know where you're playin, if we aren't doing anything I'll stop by.

/KB

Besides imitating Pete Townshend, what typically causes an SG headstock to break like that?

A lot of accidental events like getting knocked over while resting against the amp, falling off of the guitar stand when someone trips over the chord, etc. It doesn't take much. The headstock just needs to hit the ground at the right angle and snap!

While headstock breaks do tend to devalue by half, it is kinda hard to say it is worth less than 300, or much lower than that. It is still a Gibson, and still a good guitar. 300 is truly getting into "cheap" catagory.

I think the proper perspective is that you thought you were getting a steal, as in you were willing to pay 300 for a 500 dollar guitar, and ended up getting a 300 dollar guitar for 300.

Honesty is the best policy, but would you have told the seller it was worth 500 if it was worth 500?

Where in Mass you from? I'm in Central, a little town called Leominster..

In Herefordshire in England there is a town called Leominster which the locals pronounce as "Lemster." As with many places in the USA your town could well be named after it.

In Herefordshire in England there is a town called Leominster which the locals pronounce as "Lemster." As with many places in the USA your town could well be named after it.

Didn't know that! quite likely Town was settled in the 1600s I believe.

Offically pronounced Leomonstir but once the Boston accent kicks in, it's more like Lemon-stah, (Bostonian's have no use for the letter "R" or turn signals.)

no kidding?!? sounds like your probably near the Gardner/Athol area. My originals band rehearses in Gardner. Small world man.

So where you playing? Wait -- let me guess,, Chopsticks? It was the only game in town for a while, but there are a few other places running bands now, like 40s and Classics

so anyway about your SG - if you decide to keep it, look up Mocking Bird Music (they are in Berlin Mass, right off South Street.) Glenn (shop owner and fix it man) is a good dude, I've had him do a few things for me. If you plan on keeping it, and want someone to inspect it, give him a ring, he's reasonable and can probably make it go away completely

PS: Really a shame the seller didn't warn you about that (twit). But that said, a proper headstock repair is an OK thing. One thing for sure, it will NEVER break there again if it's done right., it will be another part of the headstock (LOL!) but - ay it's a gibson, what'chya gonna do!??!

Good luck brutha.. let me know where you're playin, if we aren't doing anything I'll stop by.

/KB

Yup! Right in between Gardner and Athol In a little town called Phillipston.

The band is playing at a new place this week. It's called Legends. We've never played there before, but we're hoping it goes well. We've played Classics a few times, and this bar is affiliated with them somehow. So, we're gonna give this one a shot.

Yup! Right in between Gardner and Athol In a little town called Phillipston.

The band is playing at a new place this week. It's called Legends. We've never played there before, but we're hoping it goes well. We've played Classics a few times, and this bar is affiliated with them somehow. So, we're gonna give this one a shot.

ah yes Phillipston,.

yes, that's right -- Legend has recently started running bands too, right down the road from Classics (Andy Rome owns classics, I am not sure how they are affiliated, he has a few other places in town too. Okay dude.. You should be do fine. Will try and stop by, not sure what the plans are yet for the weekend. regardless, rock the place and have fun!

• 2 weeks later...

I bought an Epi Dot that has a repaired broken headstock...I recommend that you play it a lot and see how it feels to you. Mine is not affected at all, and I think the $300 you paid for that SG is probably a good deal. I assume you were looking for a player, so play it and see what you think. The resale value is affected, but with a decent fix, the playing is not.

If you think you got a deal, that's all that matters. but for $300, you stole it.

ADDED> Gibson type headstocks are very easy to break at that point by simply laying the guitar flat on its back...the rear edge of the top of the peghead takes the weight, and all it takes is a stray foot or something dropped on the guitar to snap it. It can also be broken by sitting the guitar on a sofa or chair with the headstock against the wall and someone leaning on it...or falling off a music stand, which is why I never use them.

mark

Possibly the "seller" should have mentioned in his ad that there was a crack in the peghead,,would have made for better PR for him! When I sold a guitar a few yrs ago,,I took 12 or so pics of it and mentioned its imperfections ect. Its only fair to do that.

Archived