Gibson Brands Forums

straight saddle

Run

Everyone knows that a saddle that is not 100% flat at its base can produce variations in volume especially using an acoustic electric. Here's a trick: When you have sanded the new one to the right height and width, just put a light source behind the saddle, this one placed on a flat surface, and if you see some light passing throught its base it's time to gently level it until no light passes throught. That's what I did and it worked. Hope it helps.msp_thumbup.gif

Good tip. I would add to that suggestion that "flat" is a relative term. When I need to make something like this flat, I secure a peice of sandpaper of the appropriate grit to a machined steel surface, such as a table saw, and very carefully work the item over the flat surface, checking constantly that I am maintaining the "flat".

If you really want to do a simple fix just do what the savy luthiers do. Rub the botton of the saddle with a magic marker. Put a piece of sandpaper on a known flat surface and lightly sand the bottom of the saddle. Stop every few seconds and look at the bottom of the saddle. The high and low spots are easy to spot. When you get all of the magic marker sanded off recoat the saddle and lightly sand and the magic marker will come off even. Repeat until you have the saddle at the proper height and you are done.

If you really want to do a simple fix just do what the savy luthiers do. Rub the botton of the saddle with a magic marker. Put a piece of sandpaper on a known flat surface and lightly sand the bottom of the saddle. Stop every few seconds and look at the bottom of the saddle. The high and low spots are easy to spot. When you get all of the magic marker sanded off recoat the saddle and lightly sand and the magic marker will come off even. Repeat until you have the saddle at the proper height and you are done.

Great advice. In boatbuilding (the old way, with wood), we used blue chalk for the same purpose when fitting joints.

+1 on this topic

The other thing is the width. I bought an inexpensive digital calipher at Harbor Freight which meansures down to .001 inch for the inside of the bridge slot and the outside of the saddle. Having a snug fit is just as important and the level bottom. Not a salesman just happen to know about this one.

http://www.harborfreight.com/6-inch-digital-caliper-47257.html

+1 on this topic

The other thing is the width. I bought an inexpensive digital calipher at Harbor Freight which meansures down to .001 inch for the inside of the bridge slot and the outside of the saddle. Having a snug fit is just as important and the level bottom. Not a salesman just happen to know about this one.

http://www.harborfreight.com/6-inch-digital-caliper-47257.html

A digital caliper is a remarkably useful tool. Great for measuring bridge pins, depth of guitar necks, etc.

Archived