Gibson Brands Forums

Hog dread sound clips: Martin D18, Martin D15, Gibson J45tv

MorrisrownSal

Hi. These are my three dreads (2012 D18, 2010 D15m, 2007 J45TV).

I recorded this sound comparison using a Zoom H2N dry (no effects), with the mic positioned on a stand about 3 feet away from my playing.

I was thinking it might be useful for folks considering any of these dreads, and I hope you find it so. Thanks for listening!

http://soundcloud.com/sal-from-chatham/3dreads

Hi. These are my three dreads (2012 D18, 2010 D15m, 2007 J45TV).

I recorded this sound comparison using a Zoom H2N dry (no effects), with the mic positioned on a stand about 3 feet away from my playing.

I was thinking it might be useful for folks considering any of these dreads, and I hope you find it so. Thanks for listening!

http://soundcloud.com/sal-from-chatham/3dreads

Thought they all sounded great Sal. D-18, powerful and direct. D-15, similar to d-18 but with a little more warmth. J45, most pleasing to me. Maybe not quite as powerful but more balanced. The airiness of the J45 is what I just love.

Sal, good sound samples showing classic Gibson/Martin differences. The D-18 has typical Martin hog dread bass boom and bright trebles. The J-45 the more balanced Gibson slope sound, with stronger mids. It's hard to know how much of this is influenced by the different strings, which I find to be a huge variable.

You could hardly go wrong with any of these guitars.

I like these comparisements, theyre a lot of fun, and thought your recording quality was very good and nice playing Sal.

Like the others said, all three guitars sounded really good. I expected the J-45TV to be the clear winner for me, but I had to admit the D-15 got me smitten and I overall liked its tone the most by quite a stretch. The J-45 second, while the D-18 still sounded a bit tight and bright to me, probably due to its newness, would love to hear it in a couple years once she's broken in a bit.

Must say you have a great stable of impressive dreads there !

btw: which strings are you using Sal, and how old are they if I may ask ?

Having another listen second time round I also noticed that all these guitars seem to have quite bright strings, which could be the reason why I like the all hog D-15 the most, as the string brightness seems to balance out the all hog chocolate.

That's an interesting comparison. I have one thought and I may be misled by the audio quality somewhere along the chain but it sounds like you are using a very thin pick and getting a kind of shallow, surface-y sound, a lot of string and not so much body sound, esp on higher notes on the D18. If that is a thin pick I suggest medium or hard and digging in a bit to move the top more. Obviously I'm listening to you via a medium which can be deceiving so I may be all wet. Nice instruments!

Thanks folks. My playing was meh; I can do better next time I record guitars.

The Zoom recorded everything - sound and video. I didn't edit it (I should have at least clipped it some). And I sent it write to YouTube.

I used a dunlop blue 1mm heavy pick ironically. The Gibson strings are three week old Lifespan light guage, the D-18 has new Lifespan mediums - actually about 4 days old, and the D15M had brand new Lifespan mediums. It was jangly and should settle in.

I like these comparisements, theyre a lot of fun, and thought your recording quality was very good and nice playing Sal.

Like the others said, all three guitars sounded really good. I expected the J-45TV to be the clear winner for me, but I had to admit the D-15 got me smitten and I overall liked its tone the most by quite a stretch. The J-45 second, while the D-18 still sounded a bit tight and bright to me, probably due to its newness, would love to hear it in a couple years once she's broken in a bit.

Must say you have a great stable of impressive dreads there !

btw: which strings are you using Sal, and how old are they if I may ask ?

Having another listen second time round I also noticed that all these guitars seem to have quite bright strings, which could be the reason why I like the all hog D-15 the most, as the string brightness seems to balance out the all hog chocolate.

Thank you for the recordings. I liked the 15 too. How long did you say the D15 was in years old? Even though I wanted to like the Gibby more with my pre-biased mind's expectation.

Please do the test in a few years, if you could, then we will hear that J45 ring. Thank you for the putsuit and sharing of tone. Very helpful.

Archived