Gibson Brands Forums

Strings to a Gibson Hummingbird

dkjohnk

Hello everybody,

I have bought a Gibson Hummingbird HCS a little over a year ago. I have changed the strings on the guitar, but it doesn't seem like it has the same fullbodied, soft, round sound anymore. So my question for you guys is, what kind of strings do you use on your Hummingbird and what can you recommend, so I can get that sound back, that I fell in love with?

John

This is like asking what tyres are best on your car. I have just strung a J-180 with Gibson J-200 phosphor bronze light gauge 12/53's and they are quite full. For something a bit brighter the Gibson Masterbuilt Premium phosphor bronze light gauge 12/53.

Bob

• 5 years later...

Hello everybody,

I have bought a Gibson Hummingbird HCS a little over a year ago. I have changed the strings on the guitar, but it doesn't seem like it has the same fullbodied, soft, round sound anymore. So my question for you guys is, what kind of strings do you use on your Hummingbird and what can you recommend, so I can get that sound back, that I fell in love with?

John

Hi John,

I use Gibson Masterbuilt Premium 12-53 Lights on my Hummingbird. This certainly is what i would recommend: the sound is great & this is the perfect gauge one could use on a Hummingbird IMHO. Besides, those strings can last a real long time and they're not much expensive. Being assumed you live in the US, to find them would not be difficult; being supposed you live outside the US, you could find them quite easily on the Thomann website at reasonable prices. Best wishes from France.

• 2 months later...

I'm back to using Gibson SAG-MB11 Masterbuilt Premium Phosphor Bronze 11-15-22-32-42-52 Ultra Lights on my Hummingbird after giving GHS GHS_S315 Acoustic Guitar Phosphor Bronze Ex. Light 11-14-22-30-38-50 (S315) another chance for a year. The Gibson's do cost more than the GHS. I can't recall where I bought them last but I didn't pay $10/set! (zZounds has them now for $7/set!) I'll probably go back to the GHS sets again and maybe try a few other brands as time goes on. I don't think strings are being made very well these days, so I change around. The Gibsons sound brighter and are a thicker gauge on 4 of the strings. Yet, the GHS sound darker and fuller. I use thin pics and 11s feel right to me.

• 3 weeks later...

Archived