Gibson Brands Forums

Which Epiphone pickup have I got?

antwhi2001

Here's a puzzle. I can't post a pic of it because it's already mounted in it's new guitar. It's a black uncovered humbucker with flush non-adjustable poles on both bobbins. 4 conductor wiring (black, red, green, white). Base plate stamped "Epiphone". No other markings.

It was on an Aria Pro II set neck double cut I picked up on e-bay. The guitar is early 1980s Japan-built, but obviously the pickup could be from any era. I'm keeping it in the neck position for now and wiring a coil tap push/pull to it. And yes, I'll post pics soon!

At the same time I bought a Hondo II doublecut from the same period, Matsumoko build. Both these guitars were bought cheap with no pots etc and missing hardware. I've put a pair of Epiphone ProBuckers in the Hondo - pics to follow...

Here's a puzzle. I can't post a pic of it because it's already mounted in it's new guitar. It's a black uncovered humbucker with flush non-adjustable poles on both bobbins. 4 conductor wiring (black, red, green, white). Base plate stamped "Epiphone". No other markings.

It was on an Aria Pro II set neck double cut I picked up on e-bay. The guitar is early 1980s Japan-built, but obviously the pickup could be from any era. I'm keeping it in the neck position for now and wiring a coil tap push/pull to it. And yes, I'll post pics soon!

At the same time I bought a Hondo II doublecut from the same period, Matsumoko build. Both these guitars were bought cheap with no pots etc and missing hardware. I've put a pair of Epiphone ProBuckers in the Hondo - pics to follow...

I could be wrong, but that's probably a Mighty Mite.

Its most likely just a typical 650R or 700T with non-adjustable pole pieces. Pretty common for lower-end Epiphones.

Here is a link to the G-310 on the Epiphone website. You'll see that this guitar has the exact pickups you are descibing if you click on the "body" tab. Under the "electronics" tab it tells you what they are.

http://www.epiphone....s/SG/G-310.aspx

Well, for future reference I can confirm that the wiring colour code is the same as Kent Armstrong, so if you're ever working with an old Asian Epi 4-conductor pickup, the KA wiring diagrams are a good start point.

I promised pics; first, here is the Hondo II double cut whicch now has a pair of Epi ProBuckers in it:

DSCN0422.jpg

DSCN0423.jpg

DSCN0424.jpg

DSCN0417.jpg

Beautiful workmanship but very disappointing unplugged sound, quite tinny. A real pity, given how nice it looks and feels.

• 2 years later...

Thanks for this. I have an epiphone les Paul with a set of these pickups in it and could not find a reference to them. I actually quite like them, even without any pole adjustment.

1345063840[/url]' post='1241890']

Its most likely just a typical 650R or 700T with non-adjustable pole pieces. Pretty common for lower-end Epiphones.

Here is a link to the G-310 on the Epiphone website. You'll see that this guitar has the exact pickups you are descibing if you click on the "body" tab. Under the "electronics" tab it tells you what they are.

http://www.epiphone....s/SG/G-310.aspx

Archived