Gibson Brands Forums

Scale Lengths ?

D28boy

I have a Les Paul & a Strat...and understand that the scale length of the LP is 24.75" and the Strat is 25.5. I think that this makes the Strat easier to play above the 15th fret as the frets are a little wider apart ( and I have small hands) which is a shame as I much prefer the LP. This is something I've not heard discussed that much what do you guys think?

For me, the main difference in scales is not in the fret width, but in the string tension. I prefer the tension of the 24.75.

If you have small hands, why would you like wider frets? I didn't quite understand that. :-k

If you have small hands, why would you like wider frets? I didn't quite understand that. :-k

Suppose the point I was making is that I sometimes struggle to put my finger in the exact tiny space you're left with above the 15th frets which leads to occasional bum notes ! [blush] So I wonder how the guys with big hands/fat fingers get on....maybe that's the reason Jimmi H played a Strat !

Guest Rabs Vista

I have big hands/fingers but I find a short scale preferable. On my mate's strat at the low end I find the fret spacing too much. I started out on a long scale strat copy as well, changed to an Epi SG as soon as I tried a short scale.

Great topic! IMO it's in the chords....chords ring out differently on a longer scale guitar, whether you have h/b or s/c pu's or not...IMO, as I say - I'm not saying it's better or worse, just different. I have a Strat with both on and a couple of long-scale semis with h/bs. However I've never played anything that's more comfortable and roomy above the 12th fret than a 175 or a Les.

A little math tells me that 3/4 of an inch spread out over 22 frets is only 3/100 of an inch difference per fret. I don't think my hands really hands notice that. The associated string tension and ease of bending is more of a factor I think. This is also what leads some Fender players to tune their guitars below concert/440 - the old Eb approach.

I certainly notice a difference, but it's not like one's easier than the other. I've played Strats my whole life, and my Nighthawk has a 25.5" radius so I tend to feel more comfortable on a 25.5" radius. But after about 25.5 seconds on a Les Paul it feels like home.

I've played short "Gibson Scale" guitars exclusively for years. Then I bought a Parker DF with a 25.5" scale. The difference is amazing. It doesn't matter much under the 12the fret --- but --- when playing leads I tend to play above the 12th fret a lot, and even thought I don't have unusually large hands, I find it much easier to play up the neck with the longer scale.

I can tell the difference, but I like both. My two acoustics are 25.5" scale and I definitely prefer that on an acoustic.

To me a lot of the growl on a Gibson comes from the scale length.

On the other hand a lot of folks say the Fender never got humbuckers right but a lot of it is that the 25.5" scale simply sounds different.

I can tell the difference, but I like both. My two acoustics are 25.5" scale and I definitely prefer that on an acoustic.

To me a lot of the growl on a Gibson comes from the scale length.

On the other hand a lot of folks say the Fender never got humbuckers right but a lot of it is that the 25.5" scale simply sounds different.

Glad someone agrees with me.... as I have quite a few backing tracks in E flat I keep my Strat in that tuning so that I don't have to mess around so much . The LP stays in standard. But I have to say that when I switch from one to the other I really notice the difference with the Strat feeling alot easier to play up the neck and the fret spacing feeling much roomier. I still prefer the tone & action of the LP though.

I have short stubby fingers and a short scale guitar makes it easier for me to span more frets when I play near the nut.

But the big thing is that the scale length affects the sound a lot. Short scale guitars are meatier sounding and long scale guitars are twangier.

How does the radius of the fret board effect the feel, or the playability, if any. I know at least in basses, the Fender boards are a bit slighter in radius number, with a greater arc to them. The Gibson's higher radius number, and flatter board.

Guest Rabs Vista

I certainly notice a difference, but it's not like one's easier than the other. I've played Strats my whole life, and my Nighthawk has a 25.5" radius so I tend to feel more comfortable on a 25.5" radius. But after about 25.5 seconds on a Les Paul it feels like home.

I think you're confusing radius and scale length. A radius in the 20's of inches would be virtually flat.

Btw, you got a free +1 because I hit it by mistake using my phone!

How does the radius of the fret board effect the feel, or the playability, if any. I know at least in basses, the Fender boards are a bit slighter in radius number, with a greater arc to them. The Gibson's higher radius number, and flatter board.

The conventional wisdom is that it's more comfortable chording on a smaller radius but bends tend to choke out more easily. Compound radii mean you get the ease and accuracy at the low end but the choke free bends higher up. Best of both worlds if you will.

Glad someone agrees with me.... as I have quite a few backing tracks in E flat I keep my Strat in that tuning so that I don't have to mess around so much . The LP stays in standard. But I have to say that when I switch from one to the other I really notice the difference with the Strat feeling alot easier to play up the neck and the fret spacing feeling much roomier. I still prefer the tone & action of the LP though.

The thing here is that an LP has poor upper fret access as it is, that is a factor too. I have an Explorer and it is really easy to play those upper frets in it.

The conventional wisdom is that it's more comfortable chording on a smaller radius but bends tend to choke out more easily. Compound radii mean you get the ease and accuracy at the low end but the choke free bends higher up. Best of both worlds if you will.

That does make sense. On basses, I've been as low as 7.5" radius, 34" scale length on G&L. 9.5" radius, 34" scale length on Fender, and 12" radius, 30.5" scale length on Gibson. A little cleaner bass play with the Gibson 12" radius. [thumbup]

I think the thickness of fret is more important and if you have fat fingers, have the board scalloped between the frets above the 15th fret. Then there's the thickness and shape of neck. Also, the material and finish of the neck. Glossy or satin? Maple or ebony/rosewood? All these factors matter. Plus, whether you like the guitar. If you like the look of a Les Paul over a Strat it'll seem to play better.

I've always heard that playing chords on a shorter radius neck is easier than a longer one. Perhaps because I learned on longer radius guitars, I don't find that to be true at all. I don't find either one easier. I do find a longer radius easier to play leads with, and my preference is a 14" radius.

I'm not sure scale length has as much to do with sound as pickup selection does. But I don't know that for sure. Anyway, I think when it gets down to the finer few percent differences in tone, it doesn't matter that much anyway. I find the longer scale easier for my hands, which means I'll play better, so if the tone is different by a percentage or two, who cares?

I am also in the belief that the guitar manufacturers have us obsessed with tone in order to up their profit margins. IMHO On an electric guitar the tone is mostly in the fingers, pickups, stomp boxes, preamp, amp, and speakers. Any difference of tone provided by anything else (including the over-rated tonewood) is probably less than 1% and of completely no concern to the audience.

But there is more than one right way to play guitar. This represents my personal viewpoint only.

Archived