#1 User is offline   allstar720 

• Group: Members

Posted 22 August 2012 - 04:16 PM

n/m

#2 User is offline   prsim 

Posted 23 August 2012 - 04:52 AM

allstar720, on 22 August 2012 - 04:16 PM, said:

Just wondering if anyone else can hear a sortof high-pitched headphone whine through the headphone jack? I have my unit installed as instructed by the directions and it's running well but there is a high-pitched noise in the headphones. Like when you plug headphones straight into a computer 1/2" input (at the back). I was expecting a quieter experience. Just wondering if I have a bad unit or if it's normal.

Just to update, I actually hear the whining noise pulse with the strobing play and cue button lights. Is that normal?

I can hear the noise too but only when the music is not playing.

#3 User is offline   allstar720 

Posted 23 August 2012 - 04:54 AM

n/m

#4 User is offline   johnjr 

Posted 29 August 2012 - 07:37 PM

allstar720, on 23 August 2012 - 04:54 AM, said:

Ok. That's what I was looking to hear. I guess it is the way it is then. I won't try to send it back.

Anyone else?

Absolutely! I have my setup plugged in to treated power source (ground terminators and pro-shielding ac supply), yet still hear hum through headphones, no matter if plugged into 1/4" or 1/8th"headphone jacks. This seems to point towards hardware/manufacturing issue. Is there any resolve in the horizon?

#5 User is offline   allstar720 

Posted 29 August 2012 - 07:58 PM

It's maddening until I decided to ignore it. I can't think like a bedroom audiophile dj and worry about barely audible hum when this is such a great VDJ controller otherwise. It is a little maddening though.

#6 User is offline   johnjr 

Posted 29 August 2012 - 08:19 PM

allstar720, on 29 August 2012 - 07:58 PM, said:

It's maddening until I decided to ignore it. I can't think like a bedroom audiophile dj and worry about barely audible hum when this is such a great VDJ controller otherwise. It is a little maddening though.

Yep. I can't imagine this being a big issue during performance/venues. However, as any DJ who practices his/her craft, during pre-show play-throughs and playlists browsing, you will inevitably run across silent and pause times. Its at these moments of silence when the humming noise is most prominent, and often most distracting (could be really bad when you're in your groove...)

#7 User is offline   Professorbx 

• Advanced Member
  • Group: Stanton Ambassadors
  • LocationLos Angeles

Posted 29 August 2012 - 09:01 PM

johnjr, on 29 August 2012 - 08:19 PM, said:

Yep. I can't imagine this being a big issue during performance/venues. However, as any DJ who practices his/her craft, during pre-show play-throughs and playlists browsing, you will inevitably run across silent and pause times. Its at these moments of silence when the humming noise is most prominent, and often most distracting (could be really bad when you're in your groove...)

It is a potential issue if your USB port is not putting out enough power (we give full volume even if you are using just USB power, but, if you don't have a great USB cable and are not using a wall wort). A power supply should fix it.
-Former- Stanton Product Manager
"Mixer Mechanic"
Resident Geek

#8 User is offline   allstar720 

Posted 30 August 2012 - 04:52 AM

n/m

#9 User is offline   galla 

Posted 20 December 2012 - 04:04 AM

Since the conclusion is that there is no way of avoiding or removing of this high pitched noise due to hardware design of unit, my question is - is this the reason to get a new replacement unit under warranty? Are there any units without this noise at all?

#10 User is offline   sKuKster 

Posted 29 December 2012 - 06:07 AM

Just got the DJC.4 for xmas and the first thing i have heard as soon as i turned the unit on was the high pitched humm/tone that comes from the head phones.

It appears that it is some how affected depending on how many LEDs are illuminated on the deck. On startup it is the most loudest. I have read a long detailed post on a Virtual DJ forum and it looks like it is effecting a number of people. Also it is not a ground loop related issue before you ask! Have a look:

http://www.virtualdj...io_problem.html

The reviews for this unit were great which is why i purchased this, but frankly this was unexpected and really annoying. If there is no solution to this i am going to send my unit back for a refund and go on the hunt for an alternative.

As per the post from the last member;

- is there anyone with a DJC.4 who does NOT have this problem?
- Is my deck part of a bad batch?
- Gibson/Stanton, is there a solution to this problem? (perhaps a firmware update)
- If there is no solution, anyone recommend me a good alternative to the DJC.4?

#11 User is offline   JayRom 

Posted 22 January 2013 - 04:21 PM

Hi everyone,

Just got the DJC4 a week ago and unfortunately I have the same noise issue.

At first, i got this noise on the master out and after some modifications (i don't remember which ones :-( ) it disappeared.
The noise can still be heard on the headphones, in fact as soon as I launch VDJ.

Maybe I'm missing something (but apparently I'm not the only one...) ?

As sKuKster said it before "The reviews for this unit were great which is why i purchased this, but frankly this was unexpected and really annoying. If there is no solution to this i am going to send my unit back for a refund and go on the hunt for an alternative."

Also, can someone answer to his previous questions :
- is there anyone with a DJC.4 who does NOT have this problem?
- Is my deck part of a bad batch?
- Gibson/Stanton, is there a solution to this problem? (perhaps a firmware update)
- If there is no solution, anyone recommend me a good alternative to the DJC.4?

Thanks.

ps : excuse my english !

#12 User is offline   JayRom 

Posted 27 January 2013 - 12:08 PM

Nobody wants to give an answer ?

It seems like the noise volume depends on how many LEDs are illuminated.
Another thing I've noticed : if you touch the ON knob of the LOOP zone, the IN, OUT et DELETE LEDs begin to flash and the noise follows this "rhythm" !!!

Looks like a real hardware problem.
For such a price i thought i'll get a better quality device !!

No more Stanton products for me...

#13 User is offline   timmyg1978 

Posted 27 January 2013 - 12:43 PM

I answered what worked for me on VDJ website but apparently the only part of my posts people read was "ground loop" when I never said it was a ground loop problem. It won't help with the headphones no, but ground lifts and ground loop isolators work on more electrical noises than ground loops. Without either I get noise coming from my master (with my laptop on battery or ac)but with one of the two (ground lift or isolator) I get no noise at all. Maybe it will or won't work for others but for something that costs a few bucks it's worth a try;^]

p.s. haven't tryed without using the new drivers

pss you also could try increasing latency

#14 User is offline   B-SIDE 

• LocationSomewhere in a DJ Booth / Studio

Posted 28 January 2013 - 02:59 PM

Professorbx, on 29 August 2012 - 09:01 PM, said:

It is a potential issue if your USB port is not putting out enough power (we give full volume even if you are using just USB power, but, if you don't have a great USB cable and are not using a wall wort). A power supply should fix it.

From my experiences PC's are far worse than MAC's but even some MAC's USB port is sharing power w/ a camera or other internal device..
Try using a USB "Y" cable so that you have two ports sending power to the C4 or you can try an external power supply as BX stated.
This is not a problem just with this audio device (C4) but any 24bit USB audio device, yet (from what i can tell) the frequency of the pitch (noise) appears to differ from device to device.
You can also try playing w/ various setting in VDJ Pro there are TONS of settings aside from latency that can affect the audio.

Hope this helps,
B~

#15 User is offline   allstar720 

Posted 28 January 2013 - 04:58 PM

This thing is a lemon, my replies keep getting deleted. Sell it on ebay and move on.

B-SIDE, on 28 January 2013 - 02:59 PM, said:

From my experiences PC's are far worse than MAC's but even some MAC's USB port is sharing power w/ a camera or other internal device..
Try using a USB "Y" cable so that you have two ports sending power to the C4 or you can try an external power supply as BX stated.
This is not a problem just with this audio device (C4) but any 24bit USB audio device, yet (from what i can tell) the frequency of the pitch (noise) appears to differ from device to device.
You can also try playing w/ various setting in VDJ Pro there are TONS of settings aside from latency that can affect the audio.

Hope this helps,
B~

#16 User is offline   JayRom 

Posted 29 January 2013 - 05:12 AM

Hi all,

Thanks for your answers.

timmyg1978, i've already read your posts on VDJ website but two things come to my mind :
1) Do you think this is a normal operation to do when we buy a product with such a price ? I did not expect to do some crafts !
2) Isn't this operation risky ?

B-SIDE, maybe i'll try what you say (using a Y cable or an additionnal power supply) : it will depend on what my reseller will say (exchange or not).
But why does this happen with the DJC4 and not with another controller ? (I've tested my DJC4 at a friend's house, I've reproduced the problem but with his controller (a pionneer) there was no noise at all...)
Concerning the TONS of settings aside from latency in VDJ, I've tested several combinations and it hasn't improved anything. Note that I've tested it also with Traktor and the same issue is present.

allstar720, I understand now why your replies were deleted.
Did you sell your DJC4 ? Which controller did you get instead ?

One thing I'd like to know is : does my DJC4 belong to a defective batch or is this issue present on all the DJC4 ?

Thanks again.

#17 User is offline   galla 

Posted 29 January 2013 - 05:20 AM

somebody already tried using external power (besides usb) and it didn't help at all. I read this somewhere although cannot remember where.

My conclusion is - if this problem is easy to solve (firmware update or else) I guess stanton would have already told us. It's their forum and they read it (and sometimes delete unwanted posts :) )

Maybe it would be useful to contact Voxoa - the real producer of the unit?

#18 User is offline   timmyg1978 

Posted 29 January 2013 - 05:35 AM

Nothing risky about using ground loop isolators or ground lifts, risky would be trying to remove the ground pin (NEVER do that). Ground lifts are fairly common among rack gear such as EQs (my art 341 has one). Yes and no about this being a common issue, it is common to get noise with USB gear but it usually is a ground loop issue. Obviously in this case it's not a ground loop, but the ground loop isolator still worked for me, but I abandoned that when I realized my eq had a lift switch. But again, if you haven't already try the new drivers and/ or try increasing the latency, I got clicks when I began using video but solved it by increasing latency;^]

#19 User is offline   allstar720 

Posted 29 January 2013 - 05:46 AM

Denon MC 3000 did the trick for me but I would have got the MC 2000 if I had waited a week or two.

#20 User is offline   JayRom 

Posted 30 January 2013 - 06:14 AM

Thanks for your replies.

Before I call my reseller, can someone tell me if my DJC4 belongs to a defective batch or is this issue present on all the DJC4 ?

Share this topic:

• (2 Pages)
  • +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users