Gibson Brands Forums

Any experience with Magnatone amps?

Ryan H

Hey guys, Ryan here.

A guy in my area put a Magnatone Varsity Deluxe 108 combo up for sale for $500. Made between 1955-1959, all tube single-ended class A. Just a volume and tone, and 3 inputs. 7 watts, single 8" Jensen. Considering going to try it out, just wanted to know if anybody has any good (or bad) experience with these amps, so I don't waste the trip.

Most of the specs of the amp are here:

http://www.vibroworld.com/magnatone/108.html

Regards,

Ryan

I do not have experience with that exact amp, but the band I played drums in from 2000 to 2003, one of the guitar player/singers used a Magnatone amp combo amp (don't remember if it was 1x12 or 2x12) for the first year and a half with a walnut SG Classic. The cab's tolex was gone and to my surprise the frame was solid wood; as opposed to press wood like my Silvertone 1484. The tone out of this amp was vintage nirvana. Rich in sweet highs. And it had the signature Magnatone vibrato. Also, the front girl for a friend's band ran a ES-335 through a similar Magnatone combo. Again, very nice tone.

So, yeah, I would buy a Magnatone tube amp if I had the chance. My only hesitation with this amp is that the speaker is a puny eight incher. I have a Silvertone 1448 amp-in-case and she's got an eight inch speaker too. There's just no way to get full rich guitar sounds out of a speaker that small.

I played with a guitarist who used one very similar...He was an acolyte of Roy Buchannan, who played and recorded using Magnatones for many years. The amps I am thinking of are much larger and many more amps. For 7 watts, I think this is overpriced.

They have a very distinctive classic OLD sound, very good for blues and a lot of older style rock.

BUT be aware they are NOT modern amps.

I used to play through a very old Supro amp, and I was lucky that it had no problems. There are not many who know how to repair these amps and any work must be done by someone very good. They are ALL hand wired hard wired point to point. They are fairly delicate and it you take it on the road, you better take a backup.

FWIW, I now play through a '74 Peavey Vintage 100 watt tube amp, and I'd never take it out of the house, unless it was to a recording studio...I'd play out using an old Peavey Soiid State amp-they are pretty much bullet proof.

Also, these old tube amps are usually very overpriced...make sure yours is working as advertised.

mark

added. This is more like the one I was thinking of...

There are not many who know how to repair these amps and any work must be done by someone very good. They are ALL hand wired hard wired point to point. They are fairly delicate and it you take it on the road, you better take a backup.

I disagree with this point. Any good amp tech should have little problem working on these because the circuits and designs are so simple. I recently had my Silvertone 1484 serviced and when I asked about working on these old amps the tech's only complaint is that everything is packed in tightly.

In regards to toughness, sure, a solid state Peavey can take one hundred times the abuse an old tube amp can, but my Silvertone went all over the Midwest for two years and I never had an issue. This is with the head's frame being pressboard. And that solid state will never sound like an old tube amp. Never.

For 7 watts, I think this is overpriced.

Also, these old tube amps are usually very overpriced...make sure yours is working as advertised

I don't see how you can say a Magnatone (a brand which many talented guitarists swear by) from the late 50's (a golden era for guitars and amplifiers) in working condition (which it is, I've confirmed it) for $500 is overpriced? Have you seen how much is being charged these days for similar 1-5 watt amplifiers? Those are made of plywood, have new speakers (while this one will be nice and broken-in), and probably won't sound nearly as authentic as this 55-60 year-old gem. Sure they have a lot of bells and whistles, but all you really need is a volume and tone control.

Seriously?

Sounds like you are buying that amp, what's the doubt if any?

The only vinatge amp that I have ever (realistically) wanted was a Vox Student, they used to pop on eBay a lot more often and now I regret not having paid $250 for a good specimen.

You can get a lot of amplifier for $500 nowadays but if you like the vintage one better go for it.

Reliability issues and old tube amps go hand in hand. Before you buy have it examined by an amp tech.

Of course, though with only a volume, tone, 3 inputs and a switch, and only 3 tubes (One 12AX7, one 6V6 and a 5Y3 rectifier), I can't see why it would be very difficult for my tech to service. Not to mention PTP is probably easier than working with PCB's.

I played with a guitarist who used one very similar...He was an acolyte of Roy Buchannan, who played and recorded using Magnatones for many years. The amps I am thinking of are much larger and many more amps. For 7 watts, I think this is overpriced.

They have a very distinctive classic OLD sound, very good for blues and a lot of older style rock.

BUT be aware they are NOT modern amps.

I used to play through a very old Supro amp, and I was lucky that it had no problems. There are not many who know how to repair these amps and any work must be done by someone very good. They are ALL hand wired hard wired point to point. They are fairly delicate and it you take it on the road, you better take a backup.

FWIW, I now play through a '74 Peavey Vintage 100 watt tube amp, and I'd never take it out of the house, unless it was to a recording studio...I'd play out using an old Peavey Soiid State amp-they are pretty much bullet proof.

Also, these old tube amps are usually very overpriced...make sure yours is working as advertised.

mark

added. This is more like the one I was thinking of... Thats got a great tone,hook up a stereo amp rig,run that out of one side,and a marshall 50wtt out of the other side,,wow!

Archived