Gibson Brands Forums

Robot Guitar

daveinspain

Does anyone know how the Robot Guitar is being received in the guitar world... I have tried to find some reviews from people who are actually using the guitar in performance to see how the tunning system works in the real world... switching tunning...etc. If you Google Robot Guitar reviews you only get the pre-sale hype that was all over the place... I'd love to hear how its going with the people who are out there playing it live.

My robot is performing as advertised. I read on another forum some had a problem with the knob of the MCK coming off. It apparently has a small 0.9mm allen head screw that retains it. Has anyone here had that problem? Did you get a small allen head driver for this part? All I got was a small phillips head driver.

Hi, MOTU here. Here are my comments after using Gibson's New Robot Guitar:

1. Electronics & Tuning: Once the guitar is set up, fully charged up, and strings calibrated per the manual, I found the guitar to do everything that it is supposed to do. I bring around 4 to 5 guitars with me when I play live. I like to have 3 set to alternate tunings and 1 (or 2) set to standard tuning. Although this guitar does indeed change tuning very fast , eliminating down time of switching guitars on stage, I would still bring at least one other guitar with me. The reason for this is that if you break a string on the Robot Guitar you need to calibrate it all over again....not something that you can do easily while out playing live.

2. Feel: Strange as it is, this Robot Guitar feels lighter to me than a Standard Les Paul. Maybe because it is more hollow? I don't

know. The sound has a ES335/ES175 timbre and feel instead of a classic Les Paul sound. That may be bad, or good, depending upon what you are looking for. I happen to like the ES175 type sound so I don't think that this is really a negative point.

All, in all, from a performance perspective, this is a valuable addition to my bag of tricks. It is a good instrument and fun to play. It is not my favorite Gibson but it is a guitar that I will continue to use at my gigs. It is worth the money and certainly is unique.

-Blues Guitarist & Recording Artist ; MOTU

http://www.motu.net

I got a robot for Christmas and I love it. No problems so far and if you change one string there is no need to recalibrate. You should only need to do that if you change all your strings or if you change the gauge.

I have been playing a Raven SG for years and this is my first Gibson guitar. Even without the "robotics" I would love this guitar. It is much lighter than other LPs i have held and the finish is very nice indeed.

I find the quick tunings to be a great innovation even for just jamming at home, they are very very accurate. I just hope the electronics last as I really wouldn't want to send this guitar all the way to who knows where for an rma.

I recieved 2 bad ones in a space of one week.... On one the tone controls did not work at all. The second one the finish was a disaster and the Low E String tuner did nothing at all. Which begs for the answer to "How do 2 guitars whose entire hype is based on this new system get through inspection with tone controls not working (keep in mind one of them is the MCK) and another where the tuning machine is not working which in turn will not give you a full tune on the MCK? In addition my dealer reported 4 out of the 10 he had were returned. On top of that I believe over 50% of the people who bought them on the LPF have had to either return them, or the knob has already broken...

Gibson CS has been less than helpful in getting me answers to my questions.

Good Luck

SBS

hi. i won a robot guitar and it is wonderfull simply the best guitar i ever had (and y have my ESP KIRK hamet, my jackson rr1, washburn dimebag darrell and fender stratos)

don hesitate to boy one of this man

sorry for my english but im from mexico

I recieved 2 bad ones in a space of one week.... On one the tone controls did not work at all. The second one the finish was a disaster and the Low E String tuner did nothing at all. Which begs for the answer to "How do 2 guitars whose entire hype is based on this new system get through inspection with tone controls not working (keep in mind one of them is the MCK) and another where the tuning machine is not working which in turn will not give you a full tune on the MCK? In addition my dealer reported 4 out of the 10 he had were returned. On top of that I believe over 50% of the people who bought them on the LPF have had to either return them' date=' or the knob has already broken...

Gibson CS has been less than helpful in getting me answers to my questions.

Good Luck

SBS[/quote']

I got the same e-mail from Guitar Center. These must be the left overs from the original sale on 12/07/07. It makes sense that Gibson held back some in case there were any returns or defective Robots... If I was in the States I'd get another one and not even open the box... just save it for a few years and sell it for a nice profit....

MyRobot.jpg

No I didn't edit the photo at all.... Just got lucky with the light and angel and got a great photo... The odd thing about the Robot finish is depending in what light and what angel you are looking at it the color changes drasticly. Sometimes it has more blue, sometimes more silver and both those color have various degrees of intensity... Its really a wonderful finish...

Archived