Gibson Brands Forums

Does anyone know a good chord substitute for Eb?????

onewilyfool

D# takes it! but seriously i've been waiting for this question. really i have because i love fragments and moveable chords. try this....

66504x - its like a full C-chord shape but starting at the 6th fret, no capo. it sounds nice, too. you get the ring of the fretted g and the open g.

My first remark was sorta snarky but I later realized that I use eflat a lot. Cunkhead's version is one. I also have an e flat seventh played like a c seventh in the same postion . A lot of the time I'm fingerpicking and don't realize right off what the chord is. The notes fit and I'll later check out what the chord is.

Hey guys....thanks for the suggestions....(and the jokes)......Eb is just a mental block for me....like when I first started playing guitar....I would AVOID songs with the F chord....lol....I like Cunk's Eb........THAT I can do....

F makes me angry - my hand would much rather play EAB than FBbC. try the open position C all the way up and find other cool chords and phrasings as well. warning - happy accidents may occur!

I presume you are playing in open position, otherwise Eb is no more problematic than D or E. If you mean straight Eb Major, there's no real substitute besides the relative minor Cmin depending on the context, but you can embellish it to Eb6 or Eb7 (dominant) and play them inverted in open position. Try these (typo corrected on Tue 2nd):

Eb: x110xx

Eb6: x1101x or x1131x, or 3x131x

Eb6+9: x11011

Eb7: x1102x,

Ebmaj7: x1103x

Brian

Archived