Gibson Brands Forums

Two Piece laminated rosewood fingerboards..

The Melodyman

A few days ago I was shown a video interview with the President of Gibson who was asked about why Gibson has started using two piece laminated rosewood fretboards on its 2012 guitars. He said it was an improvement in strength and didnt affect the sound. Gibson lists the two piece tops on its custom guitars, one piece mahogany bodies, one piece quarter sawn necks etc, but makes no mention of which guitars have 2 piece laminated fretboards..

Could someone please list which 2012 models are now being built with these laminated boards and why? I just bought a Collectors Choice #2 Goldie.. I am concerned it had one of these boards and if so, am not happy since it cost a lot and should have been mentioned..

Thank You..

The only sure way to tell if your Goldie has a 2-piece laminated fingerboard is to remove the nut and inspect the exposed board end. AFAIK, essentially all models with Rosewood fingerboards made at this point have the laminated fingerboard.

Well, I would rather not do that and instead was hoping that someone from the CS would chime in and explain which ones have them and which ones dont. They should have this knowledge..and I would like them to share it with their customers. After all, why keep quiet about it if its supposed to be an improvement?

Archived