Gibson Brands Forums

1984 Tremolo Question

NickBlacklidge

Sounds like a pretty hard but worthwhile project.

Good luck [smile]

Sorry I couldn't be more helpful. my only suggestion would be to contact vintage dealers all over the world, might at least dig up an identical system from the same era you can Frankenstein or replace it with.

• 1 month later...

I have one of these guitars also. Cant seem to find out much about them. Seems to be pretty rare. Mine is an awefully loud shade of purple/magenta burst. I purrchased mine new in the mid 80's from Guitar Center in Covina, CA.

What I have discovered is that the "Vibraola" was manuactured in Germany and likely O.E.M. for Gibson by the Schaller company. I hope that this might help ya find the parts you may need.

interested if anyone else knows much about these explorers with the wierd factory roller linkage bridged curiosities?

How many were produced and when? Are they rare? Are they collectable? Are they especially valuable. Are they great or were they a failure?

Mine was fairly light weight had kinda muddy tone that sounded best when matched with fuzzy solid state amps like randall rg 80 or fender red knob m80 just imagine black sabbath or 80s metal.... but was easy to play both standing or sitting, looked cool and the vibraola would always return to proper key both up or down but just didnt give alot of pitch like the divebomb superstrat floyd rose hotrod guitars. Kinda reserved but nice refined feel for a somewhat lite basic guitar with minimal features other than fancy trem. the fretboard basic rosewood and dot inlay.... body very lite soft wood ... maybe alder? basswood? who knows??? Cant remember how much it cost new but it was somewhat of mid price tier guitar center special.... My brother has it locked in closet somewhere and prefers his herd of squire strats. I have his 77 jmp held hostage... he dont care he loves that guitar and plays on a pair of triple recs now...... So thats my story on these ...should this be moved to another thread or can anyone give us the story on these heavy metal liteweights with the unusual whammy bar? Wish they put one of these fancy roller linkage silky Vibraola thingys on something more jazzy maybe even a SG of some sort. Certainly wont work on a semi hollow due to the rout.

• 5 months later...

I have the explorer with 3 stacked either p-90s or 100s. It is muddier sounding. It's not bad sounding but it's not a pickup and stadium rock out. More bluesy maybe. Still tinkering with it. BUT I have lost the trem arm. And am desperate to find one. So if anyone knows of where to get one please let me know. I like the tremolo system a lot. And I'm not big on them anyway.

• 6 years later...

I have the explorer with 3 stacked either p-90s or 100s. It is muddier sounding. It's not bad sounding but it's not a pickup and stadium rock out. More bluesy maybe. Still tinkering with it. BUT I have lost the trem arm. And am desperate to find one. So if anyone knows of where to get one please let me know. I like the tremolo system a lot. And I'm not big on them anyway.

I realize this is a rather old Post but this Master Tune vibrola is extremely rare beast! If you are still looking or anyone else is,,, there is one for parts on sale right now April 2019 on the Reverb Music classifieds website. It is incomplete and is missing the bridge but the price is pretty reasonable considering.

I just bought a 1984 Flying V with the Master Tune Vibrola in it. The only problem is it is missing the bar/handle. Any ideas where to get one? This was only made for one year, I have searched ebay and other sites but I haven't found anything.

There is a vintage Gibson Master Tune Vibrola for sale on Reverb

gddbguylzsl0nut7p6pj.jpg

84 era Gibson used Schaller and Kahler made tremolo's, you may want to contact them for parts......

Edited by mihcmac

I think more common, but still not that common are the Gibson branded Kahlers, like on my '79 Explorer here: '79 Explorer

I think the 84 Schaller made Gibson Master Tune Vibrola will be very hard to find parts for...

An alternative could be the Kahler Flat Mount that uses a similar routed cutout for the springs...

2300c.png

Flat Mount info at Kahler USA

• 2 years later...