• (440 Pages)
  • +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Whats On Your Mind Today? Thread.

#8401 User is offline   Retired 

• The Ham bone is connected to the ........
  • Group: Members
  • LocationUSA

Posted 15 March 2017 - 08:56 PM

Forgot, went and worked out my legs tonight. Oldest sister was with mom and they were out at the vet. Vet said Tiki her Pomeranian had a bad heart and high blood pressure. I had to laugh when she told me that, 1st the dogs 15 years old and only has 3 teeth left. Then I told mom the dog has sympathy pains for you, then her and my oldest sister were both laughing hysterically while at the vet. Then I was trying to learn the solo of "Another Brick in The Wall." Not as easy as it seems. Anyone else suck at solos besides me?Posted Image
Herman

#8402 User is offline   Mr. Gibson 

• Advanced Member

Posted 16 March 2017 - 09:19 AM

Retired said:

1489632109[/url]' post='1841926']
Wow, you must be way out in the North 40! I have one crown and it fell off way back. Gosh, that had to be at UP so must of been at least 30 years ago. Think he must have put it back on with Epoxy Glue because it's never came off since Lol. Posted Image I do know what's it's like to have to take a long drive into town though. We were up at our farm in South Dakota when I got shot way out in the pasture and that took 45 minutes to find me and run me to the hospital in Mitchell, then they didn't have what they needed to do the surgery and put me in an ambulance and ran me to Sioux Falls after they got the bleeding to stop. I would love to build a new house and move there. Those South Dakota breezes in the summer are great. Could grow a garden, there's tons of pheasant and lots of deer and running water put in now. Still have lots of snow there Jim?

Yes Butch, it looks like February here yet. I've never seen a winter that doesn't want to leave like this one. How did you get shot? You're lucky to be alive!

#8403 User is offline   Digger 

• Resident Old Fart
  • LocationS.E. Australia

Posted 16 March 2017 - 01:24 PM

He is indeed! Had a few close calls has our mate Butch, but he will tell you.

Yesterday I went down to Paynesville on the water to distribute posters for Gael's up and coming Easter art show. I approached some 20 businesses and all were willing to display the poster for us so it was a fruitful morning. It was bloody hot and I ended up scoffing half a bag of jelly beans to keep my blood sugar up with all the walking but I was pretty low by the end of it all anyway.

However it seems i've still got the 'ol Digger charm happening, and I really did enjoy interacting with locals like that. All the people I met yesterday were lovely, but then I find that a big smile opens all sorts of doors!

#8404 User is offline   Retired 

• LocationUSA

Posted 16 March 2017 - 08:51 PM

Sounds that Art Show would be fun to go to. Well it's a long story but basically I bought a used gun once. Still have it and I traded a brand new .22 Auto Mag for it too. Wish I wouldn't have. The previous owner seems to have filed the trigger down to a hair trigger. It worked fine for a long time and I was careful with it. One time up on our farm I was target shooting in the backfield with my son. We were about 180 acres down a field where no crops were.( Government pays not to farm that section.) Had a Ruger .41 Mag BlackHawk with some hot deer rounds I wanted to get rid of. A friend at work gave them to me. About to fire at the target, my son asks a question. Thinking it's a simple answer, I lower the gun, finger outside the trigger guard and point it away from us toward the ground. Next thing while I was talking it felt like KingvKong slam fisted me on the head on my butt. Heard the shot but didn't know what happened. Didn't feel a thing. Tried to get up and that's when I heard my knee squish around and then New I got shot. The dang gun misfired on its own but how in the world did it hit me? Anyway, the bullet was a flat tip lead, went into my right knee and came out my calf. My son took off running like he was being chased by a bull. Then the wife and her step dad got in the truck and began looking for me. That was the 2nd time that day the gun misfired like that and I should have put it away after the first time. That was the last time I ever bought a used gun. Seems like about every 30-50 times you shoot it, it will release the trigger on its own. My son and I tested that therapy without bullets a year later. Anyway, turns out the doctors that checked out the X Rays and showed me the path of that bullet said, it should have blown my knee cap apart and severed the main artery. It bruised the artery instead and they all said that was a big mystery how it didn't cut that artery. It was like God directed the bullet around the artery and back to make a straight path. So in other wards I should have bleed to death and died. Deb calls me a Cat, with 9 lives. Have to be careful these days because I'm using them up! Posted Image Doctors even all admitted an angel watches over me. They told me I could take that same shot thousands of times again and never have the same results again.
Herman

#8405 User is offline   Mr. Gibson 

• Advanced Member

Posted 16 March 2017 - 09:47 PM

Retired said:

1489719077[/url]' post='1842131']
Sounds that Art Show would be fun to go to. Well it's a long story but basically I bought a used gun once. Still have it and I traded a brand new .22 Auto Mag for it too. Wish I wouldn't have. The previous owner seems to have filed the trigger down to a hair trigger. It worked fine for a long time and I was careful with it. One time up on our farm I was target shooting in the backfield with my son. We were about 180 acres down a field where no crops were.( Government pays not to farm that section.) Had a Ruger .41 Mag BlackHawk with some hot deer rounds I wanted to get rid of. A friend at work gave them to me. About to fire at the target, my son asks a question. Thinking it's a simple answer, I lower the gun, finger outside the trigger guard and point it away from us toward the ground. Next thing while I was talking it felt like KingvKong slam fisted me on the head on my butt. Heard the shot but didn't know what happened. Didn't feel a thing. Tried to get up and that's when I heard my knee squish around and then New I got shot. The dang gun misfired on its own but how in the world did it hit me? Anyway, the bullet was a flat tip lead, went into my right knee and came out my calf. My son took off running like he was being chased by a bull. Then the wife and her step dad got in the truck and began looking for me. That was the 2nd time that day the gun misfired like that and I should have put it away after the first time. That was the last time I ever bought a used gun. Seems like about every 30-50 times you shoot it, it will release the trigger on its own. My son and I tested that therapy without bullets a year later. Anyway, turns out the doctors that checked out the X Rays and showed me the path of that bullet said, it should have blown my knee cap apart and severed the main artery. It bruised the artery instead and they all said that was a big mystery how it didn't cut that artery. It was like God directed the bullet around the artery and back to make a straight path. So in other wards I should have bleed to death and died. Deb calls me a Cat, with 9 lives. Have to be careful these days because I'm using them up! Posted Image Doctors even all admitted an angel watches over me. They told me I could take that same shot thousands of times again and never have the same results again.

What a blessing you didn't die!

#8406 User is offline   Pinch 

• Advanced Member

Posted 17 March 2017 - 08:01 AM

Here's hoping your Mom gets better, Retired.

What's on my mind today... Hmm... Far more trivial stuff.

I've come to the realization that Epiphones don't necessarily have top-notch fret wire. So what's on my mind is what replacement I should get when it's time for new frets. Anyone know? I want the exact same size, only better quality.

The Les Paul Plustop Pro was $500+ (Sweden...), new frets will be $400-ish... but it'll be worth it. (Like I've stated every time I mention it, the tone of this thing... It's still puppy love.)

#8407 User is offline   Digger 

• Resident Old Fart
  • LocationS.E. Australia

Posted 17 March 2017 - 02:15 PM

It was cool enough yesterday to do some owing and now the place look good again.

Trivia night last night and we only had 3 on our table answering questions which was half of all the others who had 6, but we still managed a 2nd place!

I did alright with the music questions which was hearing the first 2 lines of popular songs and naming both song and artist. I managed 10 out of 11 right and missed one which was Whitney Houston, and that's something I never would have known anyway. I beat my mate Dave by one answer!!

Anyway a good night with lots of friends and a lot of fun.

Yawn~

#8408 User is offline   Digger 

• Resident Old Fart
  • LocationS.E. Australia

Posted 18 March 2017 - 02:21 PM

Couple of neighbours dropped in unexpectedly yesterday! Didn't have much to say, just eat and run (waddle), and nicked a few of my apples on the way out~

Posted Image

Apparently there is a branch down over the back fence. It was too hot to do it and fix fences yesterday so I'll get down there this morning before it heats up.

#8409 User is offline   Retired 

• LocationUSA

Posted 18 March 2017 - 10:01 PM

Thanks Pinch. Today I received a call from my oldest sister that mom's BP was too high last night and this morning so I was supposed to go over and sit with her in case she needed to go to the hospital. My sisters oldest son's X wife is a nurse working with mom's doctor so got ahold of the doc. and he changed her meds by one pill and Toby was allowed to go pick it up. Mom took her new meds and we all sat around talking and her BP dropped and she felt OK. He left and I stayed awhile, then left to grab something to eat and came back to check on her. She was bored so I took mom for a joy ride to Lake Manawa and we saw some Bald Eagles around one side of the lake. They had million dollar homes on that side and she was telling me went in one of them. She has a friend that owns it she said so I think it did good to get her mind off herself and no worries. I could tell she was very relaxed and had a good time. Then I took her to a guitar shop in the Bluffs there. It was on the way back and she wanted to go inside. They have D'Angelico guitars as well as Gibson and Epiphone. No Guild like I thought they were supposed to have. Some kid was playing a guitar with the amp cranked way up and we couldn't hear each other and I had to turn my hearing aids off it was so ridiculous so we left.
Herman

#8410 User is offline   Retired 

• LocationUSA

Posted 18 March 2017 - 10:02 PM

Digger said:

1489868466[/url]' post='1842568']
Couple of neighbours dropped in unexpectedly yesterday! Didn't have much to say, just eat and run (waddle), and nicked a few of my apples on the way out~

Posted Image

Apparently there is a branch down over the back fence. It was too hot to do it and fix fences yesterday so I'll get down there this morning before it heats up.
Should have milked them first for the apples they ate! Posted Image
Herman

#8411 User is offline   Digger 

• Resident Old Fart
  • LocationS.E. Australia

Posted 19 March 2017 - 12:31 AM

View PostRetired, on 18 March 2017 - 10:02 PM, said:

Should have milked them first for the apples they ate! Posted Image

Plenty of apples on the ground Butch so no payment due. I was telling my neighbour Bill today that I dont mind them grazing here as long as I know so I can shut the front gate so they dont get down to the road.

Our poor old fence is stuffed! It wasnt a big branch that fell on it and so most of the job was putting in star pickets and trying to secure the various stands of barbed wire onto them for the time being.

Then I did a couple of hundred metres of tying wires back to posts and pickets until I ran out of wire. I'll finish off next week.

Bill is really crook with emphysima and is as skinny as a rake! I guess I'll keep a better eye on the fence until we can get it replaced as he cant do much in his present state. We agreed to replace the whole 300 metres of common fenceline, and to get some quotes.

Hands and arms are a mess, but hey, thats life in the bush!

#8412 User is offline   Digger 

• Resident Old Fart
  • LocationS.E. Australia

Posted 19 March 2017 - 02:00 PM

We had a killer leg of roast lamb and veggies last night! Absolutely one of the best ever!

Ate outside and stayed out until well after dark.

Have to go into town today and buy some A/V software for the Mac as it's expired again. That means I've had it for 2 years. I haven't had to do any maintenance in that time which is amazing!

#8413 User is offline   Mr. Gibson 

• Advanced Member

Posted 19 March 2017 - 02:20 PM

Digger said:

1489905088[/url]' post='1842731']
Plenty of apples on the ground Butch so no payment due. I was telling my neighbour Bill today that I dont mind them grazing here as long as I know so I can shut the front gate so they dont get down to the road.

Our poor old fence is stuffed! It wasnt a big branch that fell on it and so most of the job was putting in star pickets and trying to secure the various stands of barbed wire onto them for the time being.

Then I did a couple of hundred metres of tying wires back to posts and pickets until I ran out of wire. I'll finish off next week.

Bill is really crook with emphysima and is as skinny as a rake! I guess I'll keep a better eye on the fence until we can get it replaced as he cant do much in his present state. We agreed to replace the whole 300 metres of common fenceline, and to get some quotes.

Hands and arms are a mess, but hey, thats life in the bush!

You need a good pair of fencing gloves! How much is good barbwire there? Here it was up to 90.00 for 1/4 mile, now down to 60.00. That's redbrand which is the best.

#8414 User is offline   Digger 

• Resident Old Fart
  • LocationS.E. Australia

Posted 19 March 2017 - 03:55 PM

View PostMr. Gibson, on 19 March 2017 - 02:20 PM, said:

You need a good pair of fencing gloves! How much is good barbwire there? Here it was up to 90.00 for 1/4 mile, now down to 60.00. That's redbrand which is the best.

Thanks Jim but I only ever use gloves as a last resort....don't use umbrellas either. Go figure~

I've got some nice heavy gloves when I think about it but dexterity becomes the problem then.

Sorry I have no idea about wire prices as I haven't needed to do fencing for ages. Gonna get contractors to replace the fence as both Bill and I are too old to do it.

Just the bit of work yesterday and I was awake most of the night with a crook back.

#8415 User is offline   Retired 

• LocationUSA

Posted 19 March 2017 - 09:42 PM

Ouch! You know, for some reason going through that cancer way back made me feel 10 years older ever since. Is that possible? Even going to the gym a lot and working out. Instead of almost 64, just feel like 74. Was in the flower bed getting up the rest of last years debree, 5 trash cans full and my left knee felt like it went out, back sore, felt like I went 15 rounds with Muhammad Ali. Tomorrow I think I'll get the John Deere out and go around getting the rest of the leaves blown in our front yard. Other then that I'm trying to learn the solo of Another Brick in The Wall.
Herman

#8416 User is offline   Mr. Gibson 

• Advanced Member

Posted 19 March 2017 - 09:54 PM

Digger said:

1489960527[/url]' post='1842960']
Thanks Jim but I only ever use gloves as a last resort....don't use umbrellas either. Go figure~

I've got some nice heavy gloves when I think about it but dexterity becomes the problem then.

Sorry I have no idea about wire prices as I haven't needed to do fencing for ages. Gonna get contractors to replace the fence as both Bill and I are too old to do it.

Just the bit of work yesterday and I was awake most of the night with a crook back.

I have to take them off to put the clips on the fence posts,mostly for splicing the wire together or handling the barbwire when running a new piece is when I need gloves.My back has been bothering me too,lifting calves and bending over to feed my two bottle calves. Got them in my heated shop now,little bastards are crapping on my floor when I let them out of the pen to feed them.

#8417 User is offline   Mr. Gibson 

• Advanced Member

Posted 19 March 2017 - 10:05 PM

Retired said:

1489981324[/url]' post='1843012']
Ouch! You know, for some reason going through that cancer way back made me feel 10 years older ever since. Is that possible? Even going to the gym a lot and working out. Instead of almost 64, just feel like 74. Was in the flower bed getting up the rest of last years debree, 5 trash cans full and my left knee felt like it went out, back sore, felt like I went 15 rounds with Muhammad Ali. Tomorrow I think I'll get the John Deere out and go around getting the rest of the leaves blown in our front yard. Other then that I'm trying to learn the solo of Another Brick in The Wall.

Well keep active there'll be a day when you can't do it anymore, least that's what I keep telling myself. When I quit the farming and ranching part here I've got tons of scrap metal to haul and miles of fences to take out so I can break the prairie that's suitable for farming. Be almost a shame to break it up. Been prairie land since glaciers melted,but financially it's the way to go. Everything comes to an end.

#8418 User is offline   SmokeyGhost 

• Advanced Member
  • LocationCanberra Region, Australia

Posted 19 March 2017 - 10:32 PM

View PostRetired, on 19 March 2017 - 09:42 PM, said:

Not wishing to make light of your circumstances, Rtd, but does refusing to go to the gym count as resistance training?

#8419 User is offline   Digger 

• Resident Old Fart
  • LocationS.E. Australia

Posted 20 March 2017 - 01:40 PM

Gonna be wet today (yay!) so see what I can do in between showers.

Youngest daughter turns 45 today so I'll facetime her and have a chat.

Appt. with travel agent at 1100 hours, meeting friends for lunch at the club after that, and then heading back to their place so I can load some software and show them how to use a new camera they have bought on my recommendation.

Replacing 2 complete toilet suites and ordered them yesterday.

#8420 User is offline   Retired 

• LocationUSA

Posted 20 March 2017 - 08:38 PM

SmokeyGhost said:

1489984363[/url]' post='1843018']
Not wishing to make light of your circumstances, Rtd, but does refusing to go to the gym count as resistance training?

I hear you. Actually I haven't gone for over 3 months due to other things, colds, sore back ect. Probably why I'm so sore, decided to pick it up again and get in shape. I don't know, sometimes I wonder if it's worth it all working out because you lose it so fast. Only thing, my wife already signed up for 2 more years without saying anything to me awhile back so I feel like its money down the drain if I don't go.
Herman

Share this topic:

• (440 Pages)
  • +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

2 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users