Gibson Brands Forums

Studio One Users?

adam411booking

There's a thread further down the page about which DAW people were using (here's a link http://forum.gibson.com/index.php?/topic/73134-what-daw-do-you-use/)

I think there were a couple of Studio One users. I see Presonus are offering a cut down free version which I thought I might try (although it would be hard to drag me away from Reaper). What do you think of it so far?

• 2 weeks later...

Hey Johnny, sorry it took me so long to respond.

Honestly, I love it. It's very easy to use and the production quality is really good.

I recommend you download the Studio One Free version and give it a shot.

It's a very straightforward program. After you record your track you can drag and drop effects, different amp settings, duplicate the track, equalize/compress, etc without even leaving the "home page". It's very nice. It's my first actual DAW (besides) garageband and it's a great program. Honestly it's easier to use than garageband.

I've used Pro Tools and Apple Logic in the past and Studio One can hold it's own against them.

Thanks for the feedback. I have downloaded the free version but I haven't got around to installing it yet. The only thing that has held me back from trying it before has been the cost. As a relatively long time DAW user I've worked through Samplitude, Ableton Live and I'm currently on Reaper which I think is very good with just a couple of things I miss from Ableton. Strange thing is, years ago I started out with Kristal which was by the guy who programmed (may still do) Studio One. When it came time to move up I went to Samplitude for some reason (I moved from that when Magix took it over).

From looking at the specs of Studio One they seem to give you a lot of FX/Synths etc but I'm already overloaded with stuff like that which has already cost me a bundle. A better selling point for them would be to do a cheaper, stripped down version with perhaps a few FX and the ability to add your own VST's/VSTi's. That's what attracted me to Reaper in the first place. You get an excellent engine for $60.00 with a few decent FX and a (VERY) stripped down synth and what you add is up to you.

I will try Studio One though and thanks again for the feedback.

jg

Thanks for the feedback. I have downloaded the free version but I haven't got around to installing it yet. The only thing that has held me back from trying it before has been the cost. As a relatively long time DAW user I've worked through Samplitude, Ableton Live and I'm currently on Reaper which I think is very good with just a couple of things I miss from Ableton. Strange thing is, years ago I started out with Kristal which was by the guy who programmed (may still do) Studio One. When it came time to move up I went to Samplitude for some reason (I moved from that when Magix took it over).

From looking at the specs of Studio One they seem to give you a lot of FX/Synths etc but I'm already overloaded with stuff like that which has already cost me a bundle. A better selling point for them would be to do a cheaper, stripped down version with perhaps a few FX and the ability to add your own VST's/VSTi's. That's what attracted me to Reaper in the first place. You get an excellent engine for $60.00 with a few decent FX and a (VERY) stripped down synth and what you add is up to you.

I will try Studio One though and thanks again for the feedback.

jg

No problem.

I know what you mean about the overload on the effects side though. Personally, I'm a stripped down to the bones kind of musician so I really don't use a lot of effects when playing (besides overdrive, the occasional delay, etc).

What got me hooked onto Studio One was the sheer simplicity. I'm not trying to open a big budget studio or become a professional engineer by any means, so the fact that it's all "drag and drop" was a total selling point. I actually only use the "Artist" version right now (since I'm not done completing my writing/recording of my new project), but it came free with an Audio Interface bundle I picked up. So I tried it out, and I really liked it. It's very easy to learn. I do plan to get the Pro Version of the program to try my hand at Mastering projects, but like I said, I'm not aiming to become a pro at this.

Is Reaper very easy to navigate around? I've heard a lot of good things about the program, but I've never messed with it. I considered it before I bought Studio One, but I needed a new interface and the local music store had a great deal running on the Audio Box (which my former band mates and I used), so I knew how well it worked. I'm still considering maybe trying out a demo on it (Reaper) to see if I like it. I'm constantly writing new music, so I'm sure I'd get my money's worth if I did pick it up haha.

Hi Adam

Giveaway's with audio interfaces is how a lot of companies get people interested in their DAW's. That's how I came to Ableton. I got a basic version free, liked it and bought the product. Unfortunately, it was too dance music production oriented for my liking and I also had little use for the virtual instruments that came with it. I'd never heard of Reaper until I read an article in a magazine which showed how to make a song using it. I downloaded the demo, used it, bought it after 30 days and I've been with it for the last three years.

I could go all 'fanboy' and tell you how great Reaper is but I won't. It's only about a 10mb download so it's easier just to download it and see for yourself (the demo is the full version and doesn't even time out - they just ask you to buy after 30 days). There's only one version of Reaper so you can use it at an 'easy' level or you can take advantage of the Pro features it contains. If you want/need Pro features now or in the future they're there, and if you don't then can just ignore them. Your choice. I would say it's very easy to use but, as with everything, there is a learning curve. The learning curve is easier if you're coming from some other DAW though as most of them have similarities.

Have a look at the Reaper site at www.reaper.fm You can download the latest version there (and the manual) and you can take a look at the forum as well. The forum is pretty much the best, most helpful one I've ever come across. Geoffrey Francis who writes the (free) PDF manual (he's known as Nicholas on the forum) helps out with answering questions as do the developers, particularly Justin. Also, look out for links to Kenny Gioia's video tutorials. You can often get them on special offer for $19.99 and they'll take you from beginner to intermediate in a few hours. There's other helpful stuff here >Wiki.Cockos and on You Tube, in fact there's stuff all over the web for it.

All that said I'll give one word of caution. If you're happy with what you're using, stick with it. It's too easy to get into trying things out and forgetting that you came here to make music. That's why I've downloaded the free version of Studio One but haven't got around to installing it yet LOL. Reaper actually does all I need it to and then some, but others will like other programs better.

jg

Thanks Jonny!

I do like how Reaper is only one version, instead of having to buy multiple products. That's always nice.

I'll definitely have a look into Reaper and give the download a try (just for fun of course). I'm probably going to end up sticking with Studio One (because I know how to use it haha), but it never hurts to play with a new program. Who knows, I may end up loving Reaper. I've heard it was an awesome program.

Presonus is actually really good with customer service and support too. All of their developers have accounts on the Presonus forum and gladly answer any questions that you may have...but the other users may beat them to the punch haha. That was one thing that I liked about Presonus as a company, they will help you any way that they can.

I'll definitely give Reaper a whirl and let you know how I liked it vs Studio One!

Thanks for the advice man. I appreciate your help!

Archived